Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
summerfireflys

i did it! my 1st 15 jugs for winter sowing!

summerfireflys
18 years ago

i did it i feel so proud LOL! i have to admit it was fun. and i cant wait to see them growing. but i got a little wait. o' well a girl can dream. i plan on doing 15-20 more jugs. tell me how many jugs ,bottles, etc.. that you all have done this year. i heard one person tell me that they did 700 jugs last year WOW!

having fun in michigan

jessica

firefly

Comments (5)

• shimla
    18 years ago

hahaha - 15 jugs already - you're in for big trouble - it's only the beginning of December you know!! I betcha do 15-20 milk jugs per week now that you're addicted :) LOL!!!

Congrats on your jugs!!! Watcha got growing?

I haven't started yet but I plan on doing a bunch again this year. Just waiting for some free time... I have a couple hundred "must haves" on my list. No matter how hard I try to keep the list down, it just doesn't happen. I did over 600 my first year I was having so much fun. All that anticipation on top of cold, snowy days, it's sure hard to stop!

• flowerchildky
    18 years ago

good for you Jessica! sounds like you are 'off and running'-

this will be my 5th year for w/s- I love it! I have so many wonderful plants and am always finding new ones I think I must have- LOL

I do about 100-150 containers each year- I always say I am going to cut back, but then I find something I just HAVE to have :))

I have a couple of pics in the gallery of my w/s set up-I use mostly the plastic Solo cups and margarine tubs-

Some I am looking forward to this season are:
    poppy Lauren's grape
    purple majesty millet
    holly hocks- Rhett in Red and Cranberry Ice
    some new autumn colors rudbeckia
    petunias
    oh, so many wonderful seeds!
    I am going to do a few veggies this season-
    basil
    peppers
    tomatoes

so glad to hear you are having fun!
    keep up the good work,
    best wishes,
    Linda in Louisville

• seedbandito
    18 years ago

I just planted the 25th one yesterday! I've got way too many I'd like to do. So far I did:

Scarlet bugler
    Texas Bluebonnets
    Red Lupine
    Lupine mix
    Black Cohosh
    Chaste Tree
    Skullcap
    Meadowrue
    Redneck lupine
    Echinacea Tennesseensis
    Prairie Sun Rudbeckia
    Tower Pink Columbine
    William Guinness Coumbine
    Sweet autumn Clematis
    Monkshood
    Lysimachia punctata
    Blue stocking monarda
    Black Barlow Columbine
    Cleome lutea- yellow bee plant
    Knautia macedonia
    Dicentra eximia
    Red & White Columbine
    Lupine, Gallery mix
    Painted tongue Royal Choc.
    Lupine Band of Nobles

That's not even a "smidgen" of the stuff I've been collecting. If I get my way, the whole place will be covered in milk jugs and pop bottles!!! I just love this!!

Nancy

• CandyD
    18 years ago

I also am trying my hand at this, but I am doing one jug a day. Such hard decisions which one to put out :) I have labeled them well (hopefully which will stay), and the first one I put out this year was Poppies for my husband. He has been such a big supporter of my learning of new things, and he just loves the gardens. I wonder if he will be supportive when I ask him to get the tiller out this springs for new beds!
    Good luck, and have fun!

• ccoupkir
    18 years ago

Hi Jessica and congrats on your 1st wsed containers. I have 312 + items on my list for this year. Needless to say I will be doing a bunch of HOS! (see FAQs). This year, however, I am limiting myself to 10 -12 containers on the days I ws and keeping it in the garage! 3+ months of mess in my kitchen was just too much! I learned so much last year it was just incredible! Cut yourself some slack and enjoy it, take lots of notes as they will help you next year! Good Luck!

Sponsored