Return to the Winter Sowing Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Mystery read favorites in 2008

Posted by carmen_grower_2007 4/5 (My Page) on
Wed, Dec 10, 08 at 16:14

My current favorite authors are: Harlan Coben, Iris Johansen, and especially David Baldacci.

Recently read the third of the trilogy by Nora Roberts: The Pagen Stone. Very disappointing -- could have made the whole trilogy into one book.

When I read one boring book by any author, I tend not to take any more chances -- Patricia Cornwall is one.

Andrew Gross and Robert Crais are current excellent ones for me also. (I go through two books a week and don't have a library near by so would like to know what books to stay away from.)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Mystery read favorites in 2008

• Posted by bakemom z6 Central Ohio (My Page) on
    Thu, Dec 11, 08 at 16:10

I gave up on Patricia Cornwell. BUT, I still love Sue Grafton and Janet Evanovich.

o

Anyone read any of Karin Slaughter's books? Warning: they can be pretty gruesome, the content gets deep sometimes. She's actually my cousin, although we have lost touch. They do keep you interested, with lots of twists and turns. Nikki

o

Although I haven't read anything in a few years by Patricia Cornwall, I never found her boring. I loved the roles of her main character, her boyfriend, the neice, and of course the cop that was the sidekick. One of my favorites though is James Patterson, and all the Alex Cross series. I have everything that was ever written by Agatha Christie too. I used to belong to the book club, and Sue Grafton was a favorite also, don't know what letter of the alphabet she is up to at this point though, LOL
Alberta

o

I found an old used book once by Mary Robert Reinhart and loved it. They are classical, sleuth-type mystery books and she wrote a lot of them.
You can find them at used book stores or on amazon (used books).
Another author you might want to give a try :)

o

I am so disapointed that Patricia cornwell is on the dislike list.I love her scarpetta series the gross murder mysteries.Her others are dorky but keep waiting for the next scarpetta to come out.I am on the 3rd triolgy of Sara Douglass the crucible series and have really enjoyed them all.I read every night-sometimes all night long.
moonphase

o

The only Sue Grafton book I read was 'P is for Peril'. It was a great read until the end --- THERE WASN'T ONE!!! Very disappointing and I will never buy another book of hers. As far as Cornwell goes, I'm sure she writes lots of good books, but again, once I read a disappointing one, I never give that author another chance. There are so many authors I haven't tried yet take a chance on one I didn't care for even if it was only one book.

Just finished the latest David Baldacci 'Divine Justice'. It is another of the Camel Club series and was excellent.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Winter Sowing Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here