Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
docmom_mn_zone_5

Moved/Got Married all in one week!

docmom_gw
12 years ago

We're still unpacking boxes and getting organized, but the biggest part of the job is done. Both of our families were in town for our wedding, and we were able to rope the strong guys into moving the heavy furniture from one house to the other. My HUSBAND (yeah!) and I have now spent the past week (our honeymoon) moving boxes of odds and ends into the new place. I've been enjoying the yard--nearly 2 acres of woodlands and stream/wetlands within the city limits of Grand Rapids, MI. Our two large dogs love to chase the squirrels. We've discovered a flock of about 25 wild turkeys who visit several times daily. And this morning I saw three small deer and a fox! There are mice in the attic, so I have the daily chore of emptying the night's catch and refreshing the bait each morning. So far we've caught at least one, and as many as three each day--but all six traps are always licked clean of peanut butter, though not usually tripped.

We've met the neighbors on either side. One side is an adorable couple in their late eighties who warned us about the quicksand patches in the swamp. We haven't explored for those yet. On the other side is a couple in their late sixties (I'm guessing) who are an interdisciplinary literature professor and a poet-in-residence at a nearby college, respectively. Across the street, just beyond the end of our drive, is a meticulous garden made up of multiple terraced, fenced and trellised beds. I can't wait to meet the gardener and see what grows there in the spring!

We have had some challenges. There was a small water leak that turned out to be a huge problem with a large pipe that required tearing through a wall and replacing pipe through 2 stories. Work continues, but is certain to be in the multiple thousands of dollars when all is done. Considered legal action, but might end up spending more on lawyers than it would be worth. We are still absolutely thrilled with the house. It fits our needs and lifestyle perfectly and gives us space both indoors and out.

There's a beautiful, wide, long, paved walkway along the side of the garage between the parking area and the side door that is perfect for the pot ghetto. The door is conveniently at the top of the stairs from the basement where I'll be doing my wintersowing. And that will be the most commonly used entrance, so I'll have plenty of chances to check on my sprouts!

OK. Enough rambling. Just wanted to share my wonderful life changes with my wintersowing friends. Hope you are all equally happy.

Martha

Comments (2)

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting