Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lblack61

Project Runway: Is this season boring?

lblack61
16 years ago

I am still always excited to see what their challenge will be for the week and what the designers come up with, but there's something about this season that just hasn't excited me yet. I can't figure out why. Is it that the contestants are now more "educated" in knowing what could possibly happen??? Is it because there is no "drama queen or king"?

L

Comments (21)

• MissMyGardens
    16 years ago

I only see the reruns so don't know how far back I am on "story line" but the one guy having to leave because of some chronic face infection was a bit bizarre. Nothing to do with fashion though.

The small, young guy with the androgenous, gelled every way which way to Sunday black hairdo seems to fit the bill of providing drama.

The season where the woman with 4-5 kids and pregnant with another was good. Some of those contestants had real design and execution chops.

The show can be an amusing diversion but the contestants definitely seem to know what's expected of them as the seasons turn over.

Tim Gunn is the only regular I really like. Guess that's because he isn't so bluntly critical but more of a mentor role.

• lblack61
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Tim Gunn is wonderful! He's just so...so Tim.
    Yes, Christian is the guy with the super-gelled, 80s goth-new wave hair. He's too funny. He looks like people I hung out with in the 80s. That was sad, the guy who had to leave because of the MRSA infection. I can't imagine the pressure of those 4am interviews and late nights sewing would be good for someone with a lowered immune system.
    I think my favorite is the "spit-mark" girl...lol. I'm rooting for her to get as far as she can, just because she's so opposite of the cliche designer type. But in reality, I think Christian and the straight guy with the gelled hair and the Syrian guy have the best chance. Sweet Pea is pretty cool too.
    But I guess I've never gotten over my Santino fascination. He was like Richard from Survivor. Contentious and always keeping the excitement up in one way or another.

I like watching PR when they have the marathons. I like watching ANYTHING when they have the marathons, as I'm usually too busy or too tired to keep up with when I should be watching the weekly episode.

(Anthony Bourdain "No Reservations" was on for hours yesterday....I was in my glory-- it's the other show I "must see" in a week, but often miss)

Okay. If babbled on too long, blame it on the Nyquil...

• bakemom_gw
    16 years ago

I love it. This is a very fun group of people. I don't think it's nearly as strong as Season 3, but I enjoy it nonetheless. Who is writing Michael Kors' lines? He's killing me.

Christian is an 80s riot. So FIERCE! I'm thinking Jillian and Victorya could get very catty. I'm disappointed that Stephen got auffed, but that black and white dress for that lovely lady that lost all that weight - it was dreadful.

Remi creeps me out. I don't know why - he reminds me of someone - can't put my finger on it. I hated his first outfit that he won with - what is up with the MOB flowers? I'm rooting for Kit.

Spit gal- she's not without talent and she's hanging in there like a good sport even though she knows that everyone thinks she's nuts.

I do like sweet p too although that's my nickname for my cat. Never thought it would be a biker girl name.

I'm not impressed with the models. I have no favorites.

• MissMyGardens
    16 years ago

Is Anthony Bourdain not a hysterical piece of work! I had never heard of his book but first saw him on FoodNetwork. He's more suited to Travel Channel...too much of a "New Yawk" (pronounced with east coast affection) rebel for food channel. Love "No Reservations" and a few of the cable marathons are a great find when I need some "veg out" time.

Can't tell if Spit Girl is spoofing us and other contestants or she's really walking about 3 feet above terra firma.

Oooh, poor guy with the MRSA. Didn't catch what it was he had. That stuff is nasty. Friend who just had surgery acquired it in hospital. Dang these health care workers for not taking better precautions. Know they're overworked but they're gonna start getting sued if they don't use voluntary universal precautions. Everyone used to laugh at me with my Lysol/Clorox wipes when my mother spent so much time in hospitals and rehab centers.

• lblack61
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Waaaah! Spit Girl is gone!!! :-(
    I was upset because it was between Spit Girl and Sweet Pea. I guess Sweet Pea has the most promise as a designer in the frame of the competition...I was disappointed in what SG came up with for the candy design...I did expect more from her. I also would've liked to see what Sweet Pea's first design was-- the one she had to give up on.

(Okay, I do need to learn the real names of everyone...)

And Tim...I was reminded how wonderful Tim is when they showed the season with Santino and Andre...too funny!

Bakemom,
    Michael Kors reminds me of a guy I used to work with. Even when he was kinda insulting me, I would laugh because what he came up with would be so witty. Gotta love people like that.

L

• bakemom_gw
    16 years ago

Writers strike not affecting this show at all. I felt bad that spit girl - elisa had that horrible head injury. Can your skull split open 4 inches and you survive? Do you end up making 30 foot puppets and spitting on fabric?

Love that Cristian! He's so fierce!

I was sad to see Steven go as he had a great dry wit. That black and white dress really was awful.

Any bets on the top three? I'm thinking Jillian, Victorya and Rami.

• lblack61
    Original Author
    16 years ago

OMG Victorya gets on my nerves. They just need one more group challenge to get her booted off-- she is definitely not a "team player".
    Rami, yup, I think he'll be up there. Jillian, yeah-- although I think working for Ralph Lauren as an illustrator is an unfair advantage somehow...I'm always rooting for the underdog.
    Christian...I think Christian may just make it, because he has vision (even if its "retro" vision...hey, the 80s should be back in in another ten years).
    If Steven were still there, I think he would have made it to the final three.
    A friend just asked me the other day, who did I think the "sleeper" was, the one that all of a sudden busts out and starts doing fabulous garments...who do you think qualifies there?

Linda

• bakemom_gw
    16 years ago

The chubby guy sure rose to the occasion on the Hershey challenge. He struck me as a costumy drag queen designer, but that last piece was quite nice. I think Kit has a few tricks up her sleeve too.

• remy_gw
    16 years ago

I love Project Runway! I went to school for art and Tim so reminds me of some of my professors.
    I'm very surprised Victoria is gone. I really like Sweet Pea. Christian bothers the heck out of me. I thought Kit would of stayed longer. I liked the outfit she made for Tiki.
    Bakemom, It is Rami, not Remi, lol. That's too close to my name! Rami didn't bother me much until he worked with Sweet Pea. Now I can't stand him, lol.
    Remy

• bakemom_gw
    16 years ago

I noticed my spelling error and immediately thought of you. Rami it is and he creeps me out.

I'm thinking Ricky is next to get auffed.

• remy_gw
    16 years ago

Bakemom,
    "he creeps me out" lol!
    You were right on the money with Ricky. His outfit did look just like a bathing suit. I'm so glad it wasn't Sweet Pea. When they showed what the challenge was, it wasn't hard to guess the big guy(brain spasm- what the heck is his name?!)would win this week's challenge.
    remy

• bakemom_gw
    16 years ago

Lordy - that wrestling challenge was a riot. Rami was draping a bikini and Ricky designed a bathing suit. Who tonight? Five went to Bryant Park and bravotv.com has a preview of the five.

Can't wait until 10.

Christian - Peter Pan and Pat Benetar morphing in a huge 80s wind tunnel. I'm getting fond of him.

• lblack61
    Original Author
    16 years ago

LOL....your description of Christian...yes yes yes! He is way too funny. He really seems like he was born in the wrong decade...lol.
    I really REALLY liked what he designed the other night. That outfit was fantastic and the others were really no-contest in comparison.
    Ricky...ugh, God bless him, but I really think he should've been gone about four challenges ago. That Kit and Kevin left before him just doesn't seem right.
    Jillian-- I'm wondering how the heck she will manage the weeks/months off between this last show and Fashion Week. She has a longer period of time, but time-management is not her thing. Boy, she reminds me of me...lol....

Linda

• bakemom_gw
    16 years ago

Jillian - girly with an edge.

Art Challenge: of course Rami draped. I thought Chris did a good job despite the fact it looked like the avant guarde look from the week before - but it did look like the art pose he chose. Christian continues with his fierceness - I'm not wild about his model, but she sure suits his style. Jillian's little gold dress was wonderful.

Poor Sweet p. I was getting tired of her body ink and overexposed cleavage, but when she did well, she really did well. I loved that prom dress and thought it should have won.

I agree with your comment regarding Jillian and time management - she's going to be running alongside her model hemming at the last minute for sure.

Oh yes, Top Chef coming in March! I can't wait. AND Top 20 Bravo moments - kudos to Andre for having the meltdown of the century.

• moonphase
    16 years ago

I too love this show.My youngest daughter-29 modeled for several yrs. in Atlanta and was featured in the Atl.mag.She has this dream of designing someday but right now she is in a world raising 2 boys and she just married a wonderful guy last june,so that dream was pushed back some.I like christian and the chubby guy is really good too.Sweet pea is gone too now..very entertaining,make it work,make it work,lol

• bellarosa
    16 years ago

I LOVE this show. I've watched this show from the very first season it aired. Anyway, Christian is totally FIERCE! He's very talented and always amazes me with his creativity. Chris (I think that's the name of the chubby guy) - always suprises me with his designs, too. Just when you think he's gone too dramatic in his designs, he somehow manages to pull it all together. Sweet Pea's last outfit was terrible. Sorry. I just knew she was going to be booted off. As for Ricky, OMG, talk about drama! Every episode he was crying about something or another. I liked that he was close to his Mom, but that last design - a swimsuit - was awful. I liked his design with the jeans. Very sharp. I'm really rooting for Jillian. I just hope she can pull it altogether. Her little snips with Christian are hilarious - again, he's so FIERCE - but he's also, a little DIVA!! He's just so arrogant, but he cracks me up all the time with his plugs about how wonderful he is! I like Rami too, but enough of the draping. OK, we get it - he's really good at doing this, but its too predictable. He's going to have to design outside his comfort zone if he expects to win. Anyway, I love Tim, too with his motto, "Make it work". Too funny. Can't wait to see the finale.

• bakemom_gw
    16 years ago

Project Runway finale tonight. I can't wait!

• flwrs4ever
    16 years ago

Ok, what do you think of the finale ?? I was pretty sure Christian was going to win..but I was rooting for Jillian...I liked her collection the most.. i cant see buying Christians lines..and i also thought Rami was creepy..LOL

WOW, they are doing another season...I hope they change it up a little...

• bakemom_gw
    16 years ago

Christian is very androgenous (did I spell that right?) and it's certainly not for everyone, particularly if you have one ounce of body fat. I thought he won by a landslide, but I also thought Jillian was the next best. Old creepy Rami used some ick colors. Did you see all the former contestants from all four seasons in the audience?

Can you imagine being a little 21 year old elf and winning project runway? I thought the end was very emotional. I'm not a big Victoria Beckham fan, but she was the perfect judge for Christian and would look great in his clothes.

Top Chef Chicago on Wednesday! I am so excited.

• flwrs4ever
    16 years ago

I am looking forward to Top Chef also !! I wonder if this season will have as much drama ?? LOL

• lblack61
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I'm late getting here-- and could only see the finale in a rerun-- but, gotta say, I really thought Jillian's collection was the best (wearable, yet still with an edge and some nice details and updated silohettes). I thought sure she was going to win. Everything model that came out, it was like, "Wow".
    Christians'show lagged a bit, in the middle...I think, like Michael Kors or Nina said, it was all the black.
    I was rooting for Christian because it doesn't seem he has the support from family and friends like Jillian does, and he wasn't pompous like Rami. I felt like he really needed something not only to validate his chosen profession and talent, but also to help him so he didn't have to struggle so much. He's so adorable. I think he's the new Marc Jacobs.
    It's funny, I love this show so much, but when I was in design school, I HATED doing everything they have to do. It's much more fun to watch.

And now, Top Chef! Yippeeeeeeeeeeee....Hello Padma...

Linda