Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bakemom_gw

Murder mystery time - Evanovich and Grafton

bakemom_gw
16 years ago

I learned about Janet Evanovich on this forum when I posted about murder mysteries. I am such a fan. 13 is out and it's a blast so far. Great read, funny, sexy, just sheer entertainment.

And - T is for trespass is out. I really enjoyed it. Sue Grafton is the best.

I have stopped reading Patricia Cornwell. I have been disappointed in the last few books.

What are YOU reading this winter?

Comments (17)

• proudgm_03
    16 years ago

I haven't read a book since I found this site. I just don't have the time anymore. I've only gone through and organized half of my seeds and I don't have any of my WS containers ready. I never knew this could be so addicting or time consuming.

• kqcrna
    16 years ago

Good taste in books, Bakemom. You named my 2 favorite authors.

I love Janet's Stephanie Plum novels. Laugh-out-loud funny. The other ones I don't really care for, though.

I think Grafton is one of the best mystery writers around. I love her style and I think she has a wonderful command of the English language.

Karen

• ghoghunter
    16 years ago

I love Evanovich and Grafton too. I also love The Lincoln-Child mystery/horror books. His FBI character Pendergast is the best!! I just read the latest one called "The Wheel of Darkness".

• mnwsgal
    16 years ago

For dark, dark mysteries try the Dexter mysteries by Jeffry Lindsay.

• loisthegardener_nc7b
    16 years ago

One of my favorite authors is Margaret Frazer, who writes mysteries set in Medieval England. I also like Lindsey Davis mysteries, which are set in ancient Rome.

Lois in Pa

• carol5
    16 years ago

Martha Grimes is the best! I love English mysteries & she is the master of "who dunnits". Her books are all named after English pubs, like "I am The Only Running Footman" etc.

• lblack61
    16 years ago

I was surprised to hear recently that Evanovich now writes mysteries...
    Does anyone watch "Murder by the Book" on CourtTV? I watched the one on James Ellroy where he gives the final word on his whole fascination with The Black Dahlia and it's similarities to the murder of his mother when he was young. Chilling episode.

Linda

• kqcrna
    16 years ago

Harlon Coben is another.

Karen

• carmen_grower_2007
    16 years ago

I'm just now going through everything James Patterson and Nora Roberts have written. Love them both as well as Dean Koontz.
    This is my 'reading season' and I love detective mysteries. Once the weather is good for gardening, I don't allow myself to open a book ----- if I did, I wouldn't get anything done outdoors!

Please keep the recommendations coming.

• northforker
    16 years ago

I swear, I use to read a book a week. Now I read posts on the computer at the wintersowing forum till the wee hours!

But must add that we first discovered J. Evanovich as "books on tape". Stephenie Plum helped the "car trip hours" go by quickly on family vacations - so funny and engaging.I wouldn't have them going with little ones in the car, but fine for middle teens. Her new series (Alex Barby series) is fun to listen to as well. Somehow, I don't like reading her books half as much as listening to them.

Nancy

• rosewomann
    16 years ago

I listen to Evanovich on tape too, makes doing clean up a bit easier. I love the woman who reads them! I love the fact that they take place in New Jersey- cause that's where I grew up. Reminds me of home.

Rose

• playintheyard
    16 years ago

I've read all J Evanovichs Steaphanie Plum books. I had to close one of the books at the rmv one time I was laughing so hard tears were steaming down my face .(something about a king kong thong)lol
    I tried another one of her series- very dissapointing.
    Denise Lehane also writes great mystery novels about P.I.s and his "partners" funny characters.

Annette

• lynnem
    15 years ago

I like the Stephanie Plum novels too..
    I also enjoy Diana Gabaldon's books, (Outlander series, not murder mystery) and Jim Butcher's Dresden Files. Harry Dresden is another wise-cracker.. and while we're talking about smart-aleck characters: Nelson Demille's books starring John Corey.

(I also like the Harry Potter novels..)

• dawiff
    15 years ago

Oh, I love mysteries too. Evanovich and Grafton are two of my favorites.

I spent the winter reading everything I could get at the library by Ruth Rendell and everything she's written under her pseudonym Barbara Vine. No one does character-driven atmospheric mysteries better. She's English and all her mysteries are set there. I followed her up with Denise Mina, whose stories are all set in Glasgow, Scotland. Her Garnet Hill series is excellent, the heroine is very atypical, she's an alcoholic incest survivor who can't keep her nose out of other people's business.

I also just finished reading a bunch of Laura Lippman's books, which are all set in Baltimore. I just learned she's married to one of the producers of The Wire.

The other day I picked up a Tess Gerritsen book at the library. It sounds good.

Is anyone familiar with Christopher Brookmyre? All of his books are also set in Scotland. They're very funny in that dry, dark humor kind of way. And if you want to read them, you have to be able to take some very colorful language.

• kqcrna
    15 years ago

Evanovich's Stephanie Plum book Fearless 14 is being released June 17.

Karen

• flowerchildky
    15 years ago

I have been reading most all winter

I discovered Catherine Coulter - the FBI series
    there are 11 of them, and all the ones I have read so far are good

by the way, Sue Grafton is from Louisville- I like her books too-

I have read 3 of a 4 set of Nora Roberts - called the Chesapeake Bay series- same characters, but emphasis on different brothers in each book

I go to a used book/music store close to my house, and find quite a few there- also a thrift store that has a pretty good selection- love it when I can get paperbacks 10 for $10

will have to check out some of these listed that are new to me-thanks!

Linda in Louisville

• Lisa_H OK
    15 years ago

Has anyone read 14 yet? I just finished. It was good. Not near as funny as some of the earlier ones, but it picked up towards the end.

I'm still voting for Ranger :) .....

Linda, I really like Catherine Coulter FBI series as well.

I like Elizabeth Peters' Amelia Peabody series, but not the other ones.

I thoroughly enjoyed Sharon McCrumb's Ballad series. The history and the area fascinated me. But, I don't necessarily like her other series.

Isn't that strange how we can love one series and not the others?

Lisa

Sponsored