Return to the Winter Sowing Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
have: newbie seed packs for sasbe

Posted by bakemom z6 Ohio (My Page) on
Fri, Sep 14, 07 at 10:30

Newbie Seed Project 2007-08 has begun! This is my personal project to get as many seeds as I possibly can into the hands of new or inexperienced gardeners. My goal is to distribute 1000 packs of seeds this year. Here are my rules:
A SASBE is a self-addressed stamped bubble wrapped envelope. Please enclose at least 3 stamps and an address label. Insert a note with your email address so I can let you know your SASBE is on its way. I will insert the seeds my choice and at least 10 packs along with a note with my email address requesting notification of when you package is sent.
Please do not answer this post unless you are serious about sending a SASBE. I keep the seeds set aside for 14 days and then back into the hopper they go.
Do not hesitate to ask questions. Its a good idea to update your trade and member page so I can get an idea of the conditions you garden in and the types of flowers you like and already have. Make sure your email address is unblocked so I can reply to your request.
Enjoy!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: have: newbie seed packs for sasbe

I am a newbie. I would like to have your newbie seed packs for sasabe.
Thanks

o

bakemom, are you accepting donations? I'd like to contribute. Is there a maximum number packets of one type of seed I should send?

o

same question seedmama asked ... I can donate ...

o

I would like to receive seeds! This is my first year winter sowing! :)

o

Hi bakemom,
I mailed my sasbe yesterday.
Thanks for the offer.

o

I would really love to recieve one of your packets. I don't have a list of wants yet, just activated my membership to gw this afternoon, but I am in zone 6 and can use anything for shade or sun, since I have both. will get you an sasbe in mornings mail, many thanks, Janet

o

I would like to receive one of you packets. I live in zone 5. I am new to gardening so I don't have alot of things yet. I will put a SASBE in the mail.

Vickie

o

• Posted by sdpa 5 - I thing (My Page) on
    Thu, Sep 20, 07 at 8:44

I'd love to take part. I'll send you a sasbe this weekend! I don't have a want list as this is my first time winter sowing (cannot wait).

Zone 5 (central new york)
Full sun to full shade (would love more part shade to shade plants but have beds for full sun - full shade).

Thanks for your help!!
Sara

o

Folks, the last three posters have blocked email and no link from your member page. I have no way of communicating with you other than this post. Please unblock!

This is a common newbie problem and I was guilty of it once until someone clued me in. If people are not responding to you elsewhere, this is the reason why.

(oh yes, I was able to respond to one private email, but the others are SOL for now)

o

Your project sounds like fun! I'm new to the group but looking forward trying these seeds. SASBE to follow...
Cheryl

o

I don't know how to unlock my e-mail... I've been trying to figure it out but I can't...

o

I'd like to be included. I've sent you an email. I can't unlock my email either. It won't save my changes.

Gail
gail_wms@bellsouth.net

o

I just tried to unblock my email--don't know if I did it right or not, just incase I will email you. Thanks for letting me know it was blocked. janet1_2007

o

Ok. Got to figure out how to unblock emaill.
In the meantime....sames5 at twcny dot rr dot com
Sara

o

hey i'd love some seeds if they're still available!!

o

I have plenty, but folks, you need to unblock your emails. Also, for the noobs, it's a good idea to indicate your state and zone (see mine, z6 Ohio). That way when you post, you can get meaningful responses from people who share similar weather conditions. It also helps me choose appropriate seeds in advance of receiving the envelope.

Things to think about. Remember, we all were newbies at one point in time.

o

bakemom, Did I get my email unblocked? I am in zone 6 with both sun and shade. I sent you a email, but I'm curious as to whether you got it or not, Thanks, Janet

Here is a link that might be useful: Wintersowing Exchange

o

I'm a newbie but have started a HUGE collection from very generous donors. The problem is I don't know what half of these flowers are. I'm spending so much time looking them up on the net.
I love the idea of getting seeds specific to winter sowing! I am DEFINATELY interested in this one.
I live in Zone 6 PA and also have mostly shad, but do love odd flowers and such. OK, I'm a sucker for anything.
Please e-mail me and I'll e-mail an SASBE with all the nfo you require....
-Monica
HOTSHOTGYRLY@hotmail.com

o

bakemom,
I received my seeds today in mail. Thank you for the seeds.

o

I would love to have some of your seeds. I will send a SASBE.
Thanks
Linda

o

I would like some of your seeds, also. Will you contact me so that I know where to send the SASBE? Thanks, Lori

o

I received my seeds today! Thank you so much! :)

o

Good Day, Not exactly a newbie but would love to receive some of your seeds!
I will send email req for more information,
Hope your cold is better.
Kathy

o

Hi I am a newbie. Can I send for one please? Thank you. Patrick

o

Donations continue to arrive and I still have a ton of nice seeds - some common and some unusual. Keep unblocking your emails and posting and the seeds are YOURS!

o

I'm a newbie to winter sowing and am looking forward to trying it this winter. I have been saving my plastic milk jugs for 2 weeks so far. I'd like to try this and share the plants when they grow with my family & neighbors. I already give shrubs and perennials away to them. My email address is:
javaandjazz@yahoo.com Thanks, Richie

o

I've been reading the winter sowing forum and am really looking forward to getting in on the action this year. I just moved into a house this month so this will be awesome to add some interest outdoors. Most of the areas outside get morning sun but shade in the afternoon although there are certain parts that get full sun. I also have big areas that are mostly shade that I'll be working with.

I checked my profile and I should be receiving emails. :)

Thanks!

Linda

o

I would like to play! My email is esnapp@hotmail.com I am brand new to GW but love what I am reading about so far. Just started a tropical bed-- Cannas, angel trumpets, hibiscus, lantana, and coleus. I have mostly sun and limited shade. Thanks! Emily

o

Hello! I am a newbie! I would love to take you up on your sasbe offer!!! I am not picky about what I am growing. I am open to any new flowers/plants! I am just learning of the very tip of the iceberg of all the wonderful things that there are to grow! So free seeds for sasbe is wonderful and great way to be introduced to new plants! hehe. Thank you for doing this! Also I love hibiscus'! Thanks!

Vanessa

o

• Posted by vbuff SO CA 10 (My Page) on
    Sat, Oct 20, 07 at 20:51

I am a newbie as well and would love to participate. I can use anything that will grow in sun or shade. I can't wait to wintersow this year, my first attempt. I'm leaving next Tues for over a week with no computer access, but I can send out a sasbe either Mon or Tues.

Thanks so much!
Vicki

o

I would love a pack, too.
Any chance of veggies?
Shilohyn

o

I am a newbie to winter sowing. I plan to start this year. Where do I send the SSABE? Donna in N. CA. In the Sacramento Vally, 100 mi N of Sacramento, 90 mi S of Redding.

o

I would love some seeds from the newbie project!!! Thank You !!

o

I am new to winter sowing and would love some seeds. I will go and try to unblock my email!
Thanks,
Karen

o

Hi Bakemom! Thank you so much for posting this! I am new to Winter Sowing and this will be my first go at it. Please email me! My GW email link is active.

Tracy

o

Hi Bakemom,

I want to send you a SASBE!!! I have unblocked my email and updated my profile. I don't have a trade list, but my profile's blurb talks about where I am, the conditions I garden in, and the plants I like. I look forward to hearing from you and finding out what address I should send the envelope to. I have been researching wintersowing for a few weeks and collecting milk and juice jugs - can't wait to get started!
Thanks!

o

Hello Bakemom,

I would like a newbie pack. Hopefully I was successful in unblocking my email. It is awesome that you organize this each year. Gardeners are such nice people.
Thanks!

o

Hi Bakemom,

This is terrific... I would jump up and dowm for some seeds. I live in WI Zone 4. This is so wonderful to help out other people. Thanks for all the work. Barb

o

I'm going to try ws this winter and I'd love to get some seed. I think I'm updated and unblocked. Thanks so much for doing this.

o

Thank you for your kindness and hardwork. Bubble mailer is in the mail. I cant wait..... barb

o

If you still have newbie seed packs left I would love to try my hand at it. This is my first time doing this and am about to drive my soon to be husband mad with all of plants I have growing so far. =0) Good thing he loves me. Thanks

o

If you still newbie seed packs please send me some. My interest is vegee and herbs gardening and I'm in Portland Oregon area. Thanks

o

• Posted by bakemom z6 Central Ohio (My Page) on
    Fri, Nov 9, 07 at 12:08

maricybele, your email is blocked. I tried to email you through your member page and it was rejected as spam. There's a problem somewhere. Try emailing me directly, otherwise, I can't communicate with you.

kcmccoyesq@aol.com

o

Hi - I just found my last tomato in the garden (while ripping out the dead plants) and am determined to do winter sowing this year for the first time.

I'm mostly interested in herbs and veggies, but I'd like to try some ornamental flowers too.

If you are still taking people, I'd love to participate. I have some heirloom tomatoes if you would like.

o

Hi bakemom-- I tried to email you directly a little while ago but didn't receive a reply-- probably because my email was blocked! I had no idea, so thanks for the tip! I've just unblocked it (I think).

I am a newbie (obviously) and would looooove to participate! I don't really have a want list just because I don't know enough yet, but I'm in CA, zone 9, with a mix of sun and shade. Please let me know where to send the SASBE-- I'll keep an eye on this forum in case I didn't do the unblocking correctly :)

o

Tue, Nov 13, 07 at 16:06

I'm back. My account was inadvertantly suspended by emailing multiple newbies. GW picked it up as spam. Thinkgs are all fixed now, so if you haven't heard from me, email me or re-post with unblocked email.

o

I got them bakemom, I got them!!!! Thank you SO MUCH!!! It was just like Christmas! I love them! There are so many, and many I was looking for, thank you, thank you! This was a very thoughtful selection. I can't wait for holiday break to sow them, and for posting pictures in the spring =)
With merry wishes,
Leticia

o

Yipee, You should see the seed I got. Thank you Bakemom for holding this project. To all the donors Thank you also. I can not tell you how much this means to me.....

I cant wait till they grow and collect seeds to put a smile like mine onto some other newbie's face. Your guys are great !!!!!!!! Barb

o

Thank you Bakemom! I received my seeds in the mail today. There are so many seeds I have been wanting to try, especially the Malva. I will be sharing these with my garden club when I present WS at our February meeting. Thank you to all of the donors, it is very kind of you to do this for newbies!

o

Hi Bakemom! I am going to try winter sewing and would love a newbie pack if possible. Anything shade tolerant or that doesn't require full-sun is appreciated but I do have sunny areas too. Please let me know where to send a SASBE. Thanks!

o
A Message from Bakemom!! (via storygardener)

Hi folks....I am posting for Bakemom. She is having trouble posting at the Gardenweb forums and can't get through. (she is feeling really frustrated!) If you are wanting to get your newbie seed backs or need to contact her about a trade, etc - she has asked that you email her directly at:

kcmccoyesq@aol.com

Thanks for being patient.

This message is via her friend...storygardener

o

SASBE has been mailed. Unfortunately, I am unable to update any/all info on my profile/my page...including unblocking my email, and posting my exchange lists. I included both with my SASBE.

Thanks again!
Adrian.

o

If you have any left, I would love some.
I have only been a member for about a week.
Please email me if you do and I will send a sasbe-asap

Kelly

o

Mon, Nov 26, 07 at 17:57

Posting has been restored, but I am still unable to email through a member page. We have a ton of new seed including veggies and herbs. If you don't unblock your email, I can't answer you. Please post or email me directly at:

kcmccoyesq@aol.com

o

Hi Bakemom!

I would love to be a part of the newbie project. This is my first year too!!

Thanks so much for doing this for all of us!

o

Bakemom, you're the best!!

Got my seeds today, wow. Thanks to you and everyone who donated so that us newbies could feel like kids in a candy store.

Take care,
Adrian

o

I am a newbie & would just love any thing you could send. thanks jan '')

o

Oh my gosh, Bakemom! You're are better than Santa Claus!!

Holy Canoli!! I just got my seeds today and I can hardly believe my eyes!!

What a great Christmas present for a newbie winter sower!

Thanks so much! You are wonderful!

Laura_in_Cinti

o

Bakemom,

I just found this forum site, do you still have any seeds left? If so let me know and I will send the SASE.

TIA Ted

o

Hi Bakemom,
Wow! What an inspiration you are to newbies like me!!
You are like a God send gift. :)
I would appreciate veggies and herb seeds ....i.e. if I am not already too late.
Do let me know and I will send the SASBE.
Thanks
Regina
rannir2@yahoo.com

o

• Posted by cista 7 West TN (My Page) on
    Sat, Dec 15, 07 at 17:21

Another newbie here. I only have a few daylilies and ornamental grasses in my flower beds right now(new house and somewhat new to gardening) and would love to have whatever you can send.

Thanks!

o

Sat, Dec 15, 07 at 17:30

Cista, your email is blocked and I am unable to contact you through your member page. Email me directly at:

kcmccoyesq@aol.com

o

I would love to be apart of your newbie project, I am pretty new to seed growing and never did winter sowing, but want to try, been saving jugs and such. If the offer is still available, will send out SASBE.
Thank you for doing this, my e-mail should not be blocked
Tammy

o
Have plenty

Mon, Dec 17, 07 at 10:08

Keep the posts coming. There is plenty of seed for all.

o

Bakemom, I would love to have some seeds if they are still available. I have recently moved in to a new home in the middle of the woods. There has never been a garden here. We are broke from building the house, so seeds are the only way I will probably get anything going here. I have been researching wintersowing for a few weeks and if sounds like something I want to try. Would it work here in East Texas? We can have some very warm winter days. Would the plants cook if I put them in milk cartons? I have been saving them to try with the winter sowing. My address is: tameshab@consolidated.net in case I am blocked. I don't think I am.

o

This will be my first year winter sowing so I would love some seeds. I also have some I collected that I would like to donate to this newbie project and Trudi's wintersown site. I have a bunch of packets prepped and ready to go. I just need to know where to send them. Can I send donations in a box and just put an empty bubble envelope and postage inside to get some seeds back?

I updated my exchange page with my "want" list, but I am pretty much up for anything. I tested sending myself a message with the form and it seems to work.

Here is a link that might be useful: My Trade Page

o
Try again

Tue, Dec 18, 07 at 20:40

Molanic, your email is blocked. I was unable to contact you through your member page as my email was detected as spam. email me directly, at:

kcmccoyesq@aol.com

o

I'm game.

jlsmith0519 at gmail dot com

o

im new and starting an unheated greenhouse..please email me if u can help me with some starter seeds!
saxophonegirll@yahoo.com

o

sending you an email!
rachey528

o

Hello Bakemom. I would like to join in this but I am not sure how to tell what my planting needs are. I could post a couple of pics in a few days to show the yards,would that help... before I send you the preaddressed bubble mailer.

Sincerelly,
Jeff

o

Would love anything you have to offer! My SASBE is on its way...Thanks!

o

I am new....I posted on the other thread before I found this one. I would love to send a SASBE....my e-mail is unblocked (I think). Please let me know where to send it.

Thank you for all the effort you are putting in for newbies!!! (and to all those who have donated)

Chris
cdonzella@comcast.net

o

I would also love a newbie pack!! I am new to gardening and to winter-sowing. I am particularily open to ideals for my dry(drought?)dappled shade hill-side. Many thanks to you.

o

Bakemom,
You are the greatest!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Received my MORE than generous envelope from you. It quite literally took my breath away. I am so excited now, can't wait until the spring thaw comes!

o

hello
i hope my mail is unblocked. posted on the wrong forum.
yes im quite the newb. tell me what i need to do and i'll do it. i'm so excited about trying this out. i'm in zone 5
looking for things that will do good in part shade,also a few veggies.

thank you sooo much
colleen

o

Bakemom,

I am new to winter sowing and would love a newbie pack, especially any veggies you may have for zone 4!

Thanks!!

o

Hi Bakemom....still got some newbie packs left? Oh I hope so, cause I would so greatly appreciate one. Just a newbie, I'm not sure if or how to unblock my email, so I'll send you an email also.
Thanks and God bless,
Maimeo Angels

o

Bakemom, I received one of your packs back in 2006 and absolutely loved it! I have a friend who just moved onto an acre lot of dirt who I know would love a newbie pack of seeds. She doesn't have access to a computer so would it be okay if I asked you for one to give to her? Let me know. Thanks!

Bakemom,

Are there any more newbie packs? I'm a beginning gardener and would like one if possible.

Thanks! :O))).

Here is a link that might be useful: Soleado's Member Page

o

I am interested in getting newbie seeds,if you still have some. I am anxious to try anything! My 8 year old daughter would love some milkweed if you have any!

Jessica

o

I was wondering if you have any newbie seeds packs left.????sunny

o

Hello, I am a 2 year gardener now and so proud of it, loving this with my 4 year old grandson, I have never winter sown, don't know what to plant and what not too, if you have any extras, I would love to try it soo much, thanks, Lisa please send me your addy

o

Bakemom,
Thank you so much for the seed....they are wonderful!! They arrived today and I could not wait ot look through them.

Thank so much!
Chris (chrisd4421)

o

Hi there,
I am in the same city as you and I would love to receive a newbie seed pack!I am new on the forum, so not sure how to contact you, or unblock my email address. I will post this first and then try and figure it out, or hopefully someone can tell me how to do this.

thankyou so very much.
I think your project is so generous and very exciting.

Matilda_spirit

o

Bakemom,
You are doing great project. Could you send me some seeds? I never winter sow before . Thank you. I sent an email to you AOL email. Thank you.
New gardener

o

If you still have seeds available, I would love some for either part shade or full sun areas. My email should be unblocked.

thank you

o

Wed, Jan 16, 08 at 9:52

Dafy, your email is blocked. I will try and contact you through your member page. In the meantime, email me directly at: kcmccoyesq@aol.com

o

Hi there bakermom, I posted in the winter sowing forum and just now found this forum, You are the greatest queen of flowers and veges, I will send my sasbe tomorrow. Pleas give me an address to send it to. I am zone 7 NW Okla. and would like seeds for sun. Thank you so very much for all you do for all the gardeners nation wide. This is my first season for winter sowing.

o

Alright, I sent you an email, still don't know how to get my email unblocked, still trying to find a way, Sorry for all the trouble of a lot of us. You sure don't need that , with all the rest you have to deal with Sorry .

o

Hi Karen,
Got the seeds today....so generous...had a blast looking through them....4 times so far...WS 3 packs already-lol!!..this is so fun and I love telling people in my church that have never heard of WS about the things that I am learning...Thanks again!! GWs are the bestest!!

o

Thanks Bakemom, I've been having email issues. I got the email and sent out my SASBE.

Dafy

o

i am def. a newbie and would love to particapate in sesbe .please advise
Lisa

o

I've been lurking for a while but just joined today. I'd love to participate if it isn't too late. What a wonderful project for you to take on bakemom! WS'ers are a great bunch of people. :)
I think I have my email unblocked.
Thanks!

o

Bakemom,

I went to the member page and checked the box about showing my email to members. Is that all I'm supposed to do to unblock it? I thought I originally did that so maybe there's something else I need to do to unblock my email. I am sending my sasbe today!

Thanks,
Cassie

o

Hi, Bakemom, I'm interested in the newbie seeds.

Jess

o

Bakemom,
I am new to winter sowing and would love a newbie pack, especially any veggies or shade plants you may have for zone 3. Thank you.

o

Mon, Jan 28, 08 at 13:42

love2b_home, your email is blocked.

Folks, the project is temporarily shut down until all outstanding requests are honored and I can evaluate how much seed I have left. I will post when things are under control. I am still accepting donations until 2/14.

o

Bakemom, do you have any packets left?

Thanks,
Carla

o

got the seeds today - WOW! Now I just need to look up what some of these are :-)

Thanks Bakemom!

o
Bakemom, I see I should have posted here

I have a gallon ziploc of seed for you. Send me an email with your address and I'll send it to you this week.

SG

o

I am retired with 3 acres of alkalie-clay soil in a high desert zone 7. I would be interested in anything that doesn't require acid soil.

Dan

o

Dan, see the post on 1/28. The open project is on hold until I determine what I have left. In the meantime, I have posted with a discreet number of packs available so I can keep track of things. I will continue to post these limited offers through 3/1.

o

Hi, do you still have the project going? Thanks, Happyseed

o

Bakemom-I know its late but I live in zone 5 is there anything left? I have pink milkweed seeds if you have need of them. When is a good time to send you seed for donation for next year? Not sure what I'll have...B

o

This is such a great project. Thanks very much. I'll send you a sasbe this weekend!

Zone 6a St Louis, MO
I really love super beautiful and bright flowers that can be grown both indoors and out. Since I'm new, I only have a wish list page. The top flowers on my wish list page are:
Black Velvet Nasturtium
Drumstick
Empress of India Nasturtium
Moonflower
Night Phlox
Firmament
Globe Amaranth

Thanks for your help!!
Dan

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Please Note: Only registered members from the U.S. are able to post messages here (this may be indicated by the title of the forum. All exchanges not indicated otherwise are restricted to those living in the U.S.)

If you are a member from an area mentioned above, please log in.

Return to the Winter Sowing Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here