Return to the Winter Sowing Forum

o
WANTED: Winterswapping.

Posted by token28001 zone7 NC (My Page) on
Mon, Sep 28, 09 at 22:29

20 packs of seed.

One pack of any kind of seed. Please don't send 5 packs of marigolds.

Make sure you include enough postage to have 20 packs mailed to you. Be sure to include your name/address label in the bubble envelope as well. A white slip of paper works. I have tape.

Include whatever information you wish on your packages. Please do not send "mystery" seeds or unlabeled packages. Be sure your GardenWeb name is on your seed packets. It'll keep you from getting your own seeds returned.

Include a wishlist of 10 things you'd like to see in your package when it comes back. If you do not include a wishlist, a wishlist will be created for you.

If you are sending seeds to a specific person through the swap, please write their Gardenweb name on the package. Be sure to include your Gardenweb name somewhere in/on your bubble envelope. Receivers, please include the extra postage for those seeds. These seeds should not count towards your 20. So you could have two packs of marigold seeds, if you're sending one pack directly to another participant.

Mail your seeds before October 31. I will post in this thread every time I receive a package in the mail. I hope to have all seeds sorted, swapped, and returned by Dec 21.

Any questions about seed collecting, packaging, etc can be found in the seed exchange FAQ's. Other questions may be answered in this thread. Some changes have occurred. Don't hesitate to ask if you need more information.

Post here, and send me an email with your GardenWeb name somewhere in the email so I can send you my address. Please make the subject of the email winterswapping. I will be sorting these messages using that subject line. Thanks!

Let's do it!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: WANTED: Winterswapping.

Woo Hoo! Can't wait! Can we send less than 20 packs? I gardened at a rental house this year, and I don't think I'm going to have 20 different kinds of seeds to trade, since they all grew in containers.

Here's what I have so far:

Red Dahlia
Amaranthus Hopi Red Dye
Amaranthus Pygmy Torch
Celosia Flamingo Feather
Annual Sunflower 'Chianti'
Nasturtium Black Velvet

Is it ok if my wish list just says I want red and/or pink flowers?

o

I'm in! I can't wait to try my first year of winter sowing. Is it ok to include multiples of something if they are being sent as extras and not counting toward the 20 packs?
Jess/jessied

o

Me please!!

I'll send seeds for a newbie if they send the bubble envie and postage for their new seeds -

Deb

o

Sign me up. It sounds like fun.

o

I'm in. If anyone wants anything directly from my list email me and I will set it aside for you.

o

Yes Jess, you can send extras if you wish.

Dawiff, your wishlist can say you only want speckled foliaged plants. It doesn't mean I'll be able to fill it. :) But colors should be fine.

o

I want to play!!! 20 is easy for me (just ask the family trying to live their lives in a home filled with paper plates of drying seed) but I am not clear... Do you want 20 broken down in groups (5 Rudbeckia, 5 cosmos, 5 dahlia, 5 impatiens) or do you really want 20 DIFFERENT seed packets (1 Rudbeckia, 1 cosmos, 1 dahlia, 1 impatiens, 1 hosta, 1 amaranth, etc until you get to 20). Please clarify for me and others just so we are all on the same page.

Thanks for doing this Token.

Thanks,
Nancy
nan-6161

o

is it 20 pkgs of the same seed?

o

20 packages, each a different kind of seed. It's fine if you send Rudbeckia cherry brandy, rudbeckia goldstrum, and rudbeckia Irish Eyes and 17 others. Or you can send 20 unique and individual varieties of seed if you have them.

o

• Posted by mcbdz 8 Louisiana (My Page) on
    Tue, Sep 29, 09 at 12:46

Count me in.
Have already collected tons of seeds and will need more.
So, if we have lots more then 20 do we send more? Are we posting a want list on here so people will know what to send in?
I will update my exchange list before time is up and if anyone sees something they want just let me know.
mcbdz
Pattie

o

I want to join.
Thanks, Alana

o

I'd love to join the swap!This sounds like fun!
Joann

o

I'd like to join!

-EJ

o

Are commercial packets ok if packed for 09, or must the seeds be from our own garden?

o

I am addicted to swapping. I MUST be in :)

thanks for hosting.

o

Count me in.Im ready...

o

Commercial packages are fine. You can send more than 20, but I can't promise you'll get more than 20 back. Extras can also be sent to Bakemom for the newbie project. Don't forget about her.

I've gotten 6 emails so far.

dawiff
jessied
austinnhannasmom
Proudgm
ghoghunter
poisondartfrog

o

I'd like to join in!

Barbi

o

I should be up for 20, is it ok to have a few multiple packs? Or are those counted as extra and put aside? Maybe three of the same or no? I need to go through my tithonia and have had a lot of interest.

o

I'd love to join. Hey, I'll take all of the reds from Dawiff's have list, LOL. My wishlist is probably too specific for this type of swap, so if no one sends in anything from it, just send me anything red, yellow, or orange : )

You did say a few herbs or veggies could be included, right?

Floodthelast, I believe it's one pack per type of seed, to keep everyone from receiving too many of the common ones, such as marigolds, morning glories, etc.

Bonnie

o

Alright then, one pack of tithoia it is. Put that on your wishlist highalt, they are lovely.

o

would love to join

Amy

o

Sorry - I should have said I am in as well -

o

I would like to join, too.

Becky/ramazz

o

I've got 5 more emails today. Be sure to email me through gardenweb as well as posting here. I'll be contacting everyone soon.

Commercial packs are fine. Veggies are fine too, in moderation.

o

Count me as well. And anyone wants anything special check my list or else check out the pics I have posted and see if I have seeds for it. Thanks

Paula

o

I've emailed everyone that has sent me an email as of this morning @ 8:51am EST. If you haven't received a response, be sure to email me through GardenWeb. Thanks!

o

good morning,

count me in.

Linda

o

I want to play! This is my first year collecting seed. Hopefully all the sage advice I received here I did it right.
I also have some purchased seed I can include. Still a little shy about how much seed to put in a packet. I so do not want to disappoint anyone. I will shoot you an e mail during lunch.

o

• Posted by ruthz 8a D/FW TX (My Page) on
    Thu, Oct 1, 09 at 16:01

I'd love to join in also.
Is this only for seeds appropiate for wintersowing?

o

I'd like to be in the swap please!

o

I've already had requests for certain seeds so that means people are starting to check lists. So everyone needs to get their lists updated and posted. Also you may want to make sure that your email address is posted on GW. The end of October will be here before we know it!

o

Can I join? Please count me in. Thanks!

o

I'd like to join in the swap too. Thanks. Melissa

o

ruthz....we wintersow from December to June. Anything can be wintersown using the method, it just depends on the timing. So almost any seeds would be acceptable. I tend to stay away from invasives unless someone asks for them. Otherwise, send them on.

Returned more emails this morning. I think we're up to 23 that have contacted me directly. I'll get a list together in the next day or so. Just remember to mail your seeds by the 31st.

o

Please sign me up for the winterswapping! Thanks, Molanic

o

I also would like to join in the swap. Thanks!

o

Count me in the swap.

Don (dem_pa)

o

Ugh...My internet has died. It will likely be some time next week before it's back up and running. I'll be checking occasionally from the library, so if new joiners don't hear from me soon, you'll know why. Thanks.

Tom

o

OK, I have 20 pkts of 20 different seeds.

Caraway
Horehound
Mammoth Basil
Borage (Officinalis)
Salvia "Purple Rain"
Florence Fennel
Organic Fennel
Sweet Cicely (white)

Alpine Poppy (mix)
Jupiter's Beard
Mina Lobata
Zinnia "Pinwheel Mix"
Siberian Iris (purple)
Datura (lavender)

Baby Romaine
Bush Zucchini
Swiss Chard "Bright Lights"

Forget-me-nots "Firmament" (have plenty xtra for trades)
Lobelia Cardinalis (have plenty xtra for trades)
Great Blue Lobelia (have plenty xtra for trades)

o

I'd like to join! I really only have common stuff. I do have packets left over from my newbie pack that I didn't get to use. Can I add those to the mix, or would they be too old?

Thanks!
Leisa

o

Token, count me in. I'll list my 20 seeds later in the day.

LISA

o

Okay, so here's what I'll be sending in for the swap.

coreopsis- moonbeam
tiarella - silverado
daisy- blue eyed
daisy - gold rush
heuchera- pinot gris
trollius- earliest of all
stachys - hummello
scabiosa - pink mist
scabiosa - ace of spades
perilla - shisho
lupine - gallery purple
hosta- ground master
dianthus - salmon noverna
sidalcea - party girl
rudbeckia - tigers eye
rudbeckia - rustic colors
columbine - purple songbird series
cosmos - cosmic red
gaillardia - sunburst picotee burgandy
dahlia- bishops child

All I need now is the addy to send them out.

Lisa

o

Four o clocks
stella d'oro daylily
hot pink bee balm
Tithonia
sherbet fizz calendula

I need to look through my stock and add to this list. I do have a few things in mind.

o

Please add me to the list. Seeds are late due to cool summer so don't know yet what all I can send. If anyone remembers any photos I posted and want seeds from a specific plant please e-mail me and I will try to get seeds from it.

o

• Posted by karendee 5Wst. of Chicago,IL (My Page) on
    Sun, Oct 4, 09 at 16:04

Yeah trade time! I will send an email to Token next.

I have 20 packs but I am sending some vaities twice. Like the pink Larkspur I collected and some baby snapdragon seeds.

I hope that is ok! I will hit the 20 but am not able to send 20 different seed types. (I probably have 15 different types)

Thanks Karen

My wish List is
Rudebeckia (all kinds)
Butterfly Bush
tomatoes
pumpkins/gourds
any thymes
lupines

Heck I want it all :)

o

I'd love to join. Sounds like fun.Thanks

o

I have a procedural question. There are a few things people have listed here that they are sending that I'd like to put on my wish list. So should I just put it on the wish list that I send to token, should I send the people an email asking them if they'd be willing to set aside some especially for me, or should I post here that I want it? Or maybe all three?

I have some commercial packets that I can send part of, now that I know we are allowed to send 2009 commercial seeds. I'll check and post maybe tomorrow which ones I have that I can share.

o

I have had people contact me with things that they are wanting and I am setting them aside in a special bag for them. I have also contacted people about special things I want from them and they are setting things aside for me.

Some people are still not updating their lists so it's hard to know what they are looking for. I am sending in my special trade packs for Token too distrute to those people along with the regular 20 packs for the swap.

o

Just wanted to let everyone know that I would like to mail out this Saturday so if anyone wants anything from my list let me know by Friday. Thanks!

o

Seeds are packed, I just have to come up with a wish list...

o

Here is a list of what I am sending...(at least what I can remember)
I have mostly common seeds but I pakced the packs with as many seeds as I could!

Cleome
Pink Larkspur
Mixed Larkspur
Pinchsion Fever Few
Petunia (Wave)
Dill
Cilantro
1 pack marigold
baby snapdragon
commercial eggplant pack
purple malva
nicotinia
coreopsis

That is all I can think of right now. I am sending in a few duplicates but over 20 packs. (I only expect to get 20 back so if anyone sends in less mine can make up for it)

Thanks
Karen

o

Four o clocks
stella d'oro daylily
hot pink bee balm
Tithonia
sherbet fizz calendula

I can confidently add that I'll also be sending
cilantro
whitish marigolds
mixed morning glories
Mixed cosmos
german chamomile

Now to be sure of the other ten.

o

I'm so excited! My first swap. I'll have more to add in a couple of days.

I will be sending:
Lemon Basil
Culver's Root
4 o'clock -pink, yellow and white
nasturtium - red
nasturtium - varigated leaf
hollyhocks - black
Maltese cross
crocosmia - orange
double columbine - pink and white
daylilly - bright yellow (don't know the name)
poppies - salmon
forget me nots
Cosmos sulphureus
cilantro
tree peony - they're suppose to be hard to grow, but I thought someone might like to give them a shot.

o

I will be sending:

Rudbeckia Maya
Rudbeckia Cherry Brandy
Cilantro Slow Bolt
Columbine Yellow 4'
Tomato (since some of ya'll WS these) Ramapo F6
Tomato Nyagous
Tomato Snow White
Cosmos Psyche White
Zinnia Magellan Coral and Cherry mix
Lupine Deep Pink-Reddish
Echinacea Pink Double Delight
Echinacea Coconut Lime
Borage
Fennel common
Gaillardia Fanfare
Gaillardia Goblin
Chocolate Flower
4 O'Clock Pink and Broken Pink and White
4 O'Clock White
Nigella Love in a Mist blues

o

Hi bev2009,if you have any extra tree peony seeds,I would love to try some.

o

ishareflowers, do you have enough to set aside some tiarella or pino gris heuchera for me?

Just a note to say that I have set aside tithonia for highalt, and dawiff and one packet for the regular trade. I'm calling it quits on any more because my fingers are sore, lol.

I'm also adding to my twenty
my special mix of bicolor sunflowers with some reds all 4'
Gaillardia arizona sun
black eyed susans super tough with a wide leaf
blue nicandra or shoo fly

o
RE: WANTED: swapping.

Bev, I would love to try your tree peony seeds if you have any left. Can send you some Yvonne's Salvia seeds.

ishareflowers, do you have enough to set aside some tiarella or pino gris heuchera for me also? I have several from your exchange want list.

o

Okay, at 20 packs, I can join this one. I'll email you for details, Token.

Other than that I would love some pineapple sage seeds (hint, hint), my "wish list" is pretty extensive and pretty specific - but truthfully, I like all the "common" flowers, and herbs are always a good bet for me, and I'm not averse to veggies either. What I really need is 5 acres of land, LOL!

o

If there is anything on my list that anyone would like to have,you can email me.Thanks Velvet

o

Mnwsgal, I can send a packet of 25 tiarelle silverado and a bit of heuchera mocha. Will that work for you???

floodthelast, I can send you the other half of the tiarella silverado seeds and some caramel huechera.

My heucheras haven't all gone to seed yet. I can send some to you over the winter if you want different ones. I have a few unnamed and a beaujolis I'm waiting on.

Lisa

Token, when someone sends in a seed for you that you requested from them, does it count toward the twenty you get back or as an extra and you just need to add extra postage for it.

o

I've seen a few people worried that their seeds won't be ready by October 31. So....I'm going to extend the deadline to November 20. I just picked that date out of my head. It's before Thanksgiving, I think. So it'll be out of the way. I still want to get the seeds back to you by Solstice for those that start early. ;)

Be sure to let everyone know.

Seed packages have already started to arrive. :)

o

Lisa, I think the extras just count as extras. At least I hope so. Whatever postage it takes to send your envelope is the postage you should send. I'm sure if it doesn't take as much to send yours back Token will send the extra postage back.

o

I'm in, not sure what all I will be sending for the swap. I still need to get all my seeds labeled and packaged. I will post my list later once I know what I am sending.

BTW this is my 1st group swap. Am I correct in assuming all seeds sent should be from this year - 2009?

Thanks,
-StLGirl

o

Yes, extra seeds for private trades are extras. They will not count towards your 20 either as the sender or recipient. So if you're sending say, me, some seeds, be sure to label them with my GW name and include 20 others for the swap.

StLGirl, just be sure if you're sending older seeds, that you label them with the year they were collected. It helps if you know they'll germinate too. I sowed or gave away all my extras this spring, so I'm starting from scratch again. My goal is to use this swap to clean out my seed box and only save what I intend to sow. Some of you might get more than 20 back. ;)

o

Flood, hot pink bee balm sounds nice... forgot to add bee balm to my wish list, oops.

Also all the Ruds sending in make me happy because I want some!! I just love them and I was awful at collecting them so far!

YEAH...

Someonce once asked if I was sending my pink larkspur to the swap when I posted a picture. I cannot remember who that was.. I sent in 2 packs of the pink ones and one pack of mixed.

o

I want to play. This sounds better than Christmas! I have never participated in a swap before so if I do not do something correctly just let me know. I will get my lists and seeds ready this weekend.

Glenna

o

I just harvested a whole bucket of Asclepias tuberosa 'Gay Butterflies' seedpods, so I have plenty to share.

Just a little disclaimer here, LOL. Even though all of the ads for this show lots of red flowers, out of four plants, I didn't get a single red one. So here is what mine look like:

WS Asclepias tuberosa 'Gay Butterflies' (orange) 6-23-09
WS Asclepias tuberosa 'Gay Butterflies' (yellow) 6-23-09

The seeds aren't separate by color though, so you would get a mix of these two.

If you are interested, either email me privately, or post here, and I will send in a packet with your name on it.

Bonnie

PS: If any of you happen to have a red Asclepias tuberosa plant (not the annual one, Asclepias curassavica), I would love to have seeds from it, even though it's not on my wishlist. Thanks!

o

Bonnie I would love some of your seed if you have extra to spare.

I need to see what I have in my stash and make a list, life's just gotten in the way lately.

I still have a lot to collect, I am so excited about this swap! It's been my little glimmer of light in what has been some dark days.

o

I'm not sure yet what I'll have to swap, but everyone will get at least one pack of seeds from me, maybe a couple depending on the wish lists. I'm gonna post my wish list here. Let me know if you have something, I'll send you a list of what I have to trade. Some of my collected seeds are already spoken for, or I just didn't get as many as I would have liked.

I want some tall growing artemesia (not the groundcover variety)

Agrostemma githago
Euphorbia cyparissias
papaver somniferum - peony poppy and others
Salvia officinalis
Tithonia - mexican sunflower
Wild Yarrow
Any cosmos, zinnias, or other long blooming annuals. Mixes are fine.
White agastache - I cut mine back too late and I got no seeds from it.
white morning glory (not moonvine)
Hardy ageratum
hardy geraniums

I'm sure there are others, but that's just off the top of my head.

o

Token, I have some Salvia officinalis.

Bonnie

o

I have peony poppy seeds, a couple of different colors, I think. Also I might be able to rustle up some hardy geranium seeds too. I'll see if I can find them.

If you have Yvonne's salvia seeds, or seeds from any other red salvia that hummingbirds like, that would be great.

o

Token,

i just packed up 7 or 8 packets of poppies for you. I have a pink peony,black peony,angela choir, watermelon heaven, I can't remember what I put in there. Oh, and white agastache is in my extras packet. I'm sending in an extra 20 or so packets,requests from floodthelast and mnwsgal and a packet with poppies for you.

I have to tell you all a story of my ordering seed envelopes online. I ordered a tiny clear, a yellow, green, blue and one that was advertised as green leaves. Well, my green leaf 2x2 baggies are green leaves, pot leaves!!! I have 1000 of them sooooo when you see my seed packets you'll know they are from me...lol

Lisa

o

Tom, I have Cosmo's I have been collecting right along and Tithonia I am waiting to collect from, I will mark some for you! I love Bonnies "Gay Butterflies" and the only other thing I am yearning for is Prarie Smoke, really I will be happy with anything. I will try to post what I have over the weekend or at least by Monday (day off) I do have the pretty pink poppies that I scarffed from the point in our town, no clue what they are, but they are beauties!

o

Daisydawnny, I've got you down for some of the Asclepias tuberosa.

Lisa, that is too funny!!! Well, sort of ... Last winter, every time I looked for the plastic seed baggies at the Walmart, they were out, and the clerk said the drug dealers buy them all.

Bonnie

o

Hi guys-
I have a few packets of ligularia 'the rocket' that I will be adding- anyone want their name on one?
Jess/jessied

o
RE: WANTED: Winterswapping again.

Hi everyone- forgot to add my wishlist to the last post- i should have gone to bed awhile ago :)

I am interested in
poppies
flowering shade perrenials
fruit bushes or vines
zone 4 hardy trees
canterbury bells
bee balm
lisianthus
reseeding annuals
veggies
things that attract hummingbirds and butterflies
no vining flowers- I don't have enough room
oh, who am I kidding........pretty flowers :)
Thanks!
Jess/jessied

o

I would love to try the ligularia 'the rocket'

o

Looks like ya'll have me covered with my wish list. Thanks so much. This is gonna be a great swap. I'll have to print out this thread and read it a few times while sorting seed in early December. :)

Thanks Bonnie. I'd love some of the salvia officianalis. (sp?)

Dawiff, I've got a couple red salvias the hummers will love. Depending on how long the frost holds off, I might even get a few more pineapple salvia seeds. I collected about 8 yesterday. Every couple of days I find 4-5 seeds. It's slow about ripening them. Salvia subrotunda though....even the goldfinches love it. It's about 5' tall now. Just slightly taller than Yvonne's.

Lisa, just tell everyone it's a Lord Baltimore hardy hibiscus. ;)

Daisy, I don't need to know the names of all the poppies. They'll be sown early into a new bed I'm creating and I'll just let them mingle.

Ok, I have to do some work today.

o

I'd like to join. I've been busy collecting seeds and should be able to do the 20. This will be my first year wsing and I'm very excited about it.

Will send you an email shortly, token.

Thanks!
~CA

o

Tom I also have tons of cosmos well a few varities at least and a bunch of mixed zinnias now if only I could find where I put the ones I got last year I would be set. But I do have some fresh stuff I collected.

Paula

o

I also would like to join! Please let me know where to send seeds! thanks, Melinda

o

I'd like to join too :) Lots of seed to share :)

Heidi

o

I am ready will be trying to get seeds together

o

Tom,

I'm in on this one! I just sent you an email. I too have lots of seeds and varieties to share!! Let the fun begin.

Sandy

o

Hmm thinking I should start some pics to show the things I have set aside. I am waiting on my four o clocks to finish drying and need two more things for the swap. Possibly more tomatos.

1 Four o clocks a mix from solid yellow and hot pinks grown together
2 stella d'oro daylily
3 hot pink bee balm
4 Tithonia torch
Bee Profile
5 sherbet fizz calendula
calmacro
6 cilantro
7 whitish marigolds
ruffles
8 mixed morning glories
Star of Morning
9 Mixed cosmos
cosmo curled
10 german chamomile
11 purple liatras
12 black eyed susans
14 tomato yellow pear
Yellow Pears
15 beefsteak tomato
16 four o clocks my own favorite I call pink freckles
freckles 3.0
17 arizona sun gaillardia
Glorious Blanket
18 mix of my favorite red and bi color sunflowers 4'
Looking Down
19 Nicandra or Shoo Fly
Waters of Blue

o

I've emailed everyone that has contacted me so far. If you didn't get an email with my address, send me another, or the first. I'm not having email alerts from this thread, so you have to send me one through gardenweb.

Flood...I have a morning glory for you.

o

Should we be posting our wishlist here? Or just send it in with our seeds? Or maybe both ;)

o

Ooooh token, you know the way to a girls heart.

Karendee, I'll set aside some bee balm for you.

I'm waiting for the four o clocks to dry and need to add one more pack to my twenty. In the mean time let me know if anyone wants something and I can see how much I have.

o

I'm going to add fresh lavender seeds to my list of seeds that I'm harvesting. I don't know what kind, I just know they aren't Lavandula stoechas. I'm glad I have something to harvest that smells nice.

I also have a Viburnum tinus with berries maturing on it. Does anyone know how long it takes for the seeds to be ready, or what's involved in harvesting them? I can include some of the berries if anyone wants to try winter sowing a shrub.

Flood, I don't usually like four o'clocks, but that pink freckles is really nice.

o

Dawiff, unfortunately, those viburnum seeds won't come true, if they aren't sterile. Viburnums are picky that way. Usually they revert back to one of the parents.

Anyone in zones 6b through 8b want to try Calycanthus floridus? It's a native southern shrub called sweet shrub. It smells like bubble gum when it blooms. I wintersowed lots last year and gave several away. I've got them planted all along the back yard. They're about a foot tall and should bloom next year, I hope. Let me know. I have enough to send out 2-3 packs or 8-10 seeds.

o

Token, I put some Blue Mink Ageratum in your bag. It's an annual but it reseeds here so it should for you also.

o

Ok I have packaged up mine and so far I am sending in

Mixed Impatiens
Pink Wave Petunia
White Columbine
Zebrina Malva
Yellow Columbine
Ice Petunia Mix
Blackberry Lily
Butternut Squash
Bright Lights (orange) Cosmos
Star Petunia Mix
Orange Bell Pepper
Purple Wave Petunia
Lt. Purple Wave Petunia
Laura Bush Petunia
Mix Verbena
Mixed Columbine
Torenia Mix
Strawberry Vein Petunia
Purple Datura
Frosted Petunia Mix

This does not include the seeds that I have set aside for people who asked for them..

floodthelast

If you have extras of

sherbet fizz calendula
four o clocks my own favorite I call pink freckles
Mixed cosmos
german chamomile
I would love some. Thanks

Paula

o

Please sign me up for the swap !

Thanks,

Carol

o

Thanks Paulan, I'm trying on the pink freckles but they are just now ripening and I can't be sure how many I'll end up with.
I still need a #20 type for the swap and I'm dividing things out for personal wishes.
Getting really excited about this swap and all the mini ones on the side of this one. I've swapped with many of you before and know you all are great traders. Love wintersowing and seeds. :)

o

Thanks Becky. There's a wild hardy variety growing in a ditch nearby too, I'm gonna try to get seeds of that one as well. I want LOTS.

o

Hey Token I'm happy to see that your Calycanthus floridus got to be a foot tall this year. I have some seeds I plan to WS this winter. BTW Missouri Botanical Garden reports this as being suitable for zones 4-9, so if anyone in the cooler zones is interested it may work for you.

Paulan - I so want Laura Bush petunias. If you have extras to trade I would love some.

Here is my list of what I am planning to send in for the swap.

Anise hyssop (Agastache foeniculum)
Butterfly weed (Asclepias tuberosa)
Sweet basil (Ocymum basilium)
Chamomile (Anthemis nobilis)
Coreopsis 'Plains' (Coreopsis tinctoria)
Cosmos 'Yellow/Orange' (Cosmos sulphureus)
Cypress vine - red (Ipomoea quamoclit)
Daylily 'Joan Senior' (Hemerocallis)
Evening primrose (Oenothera lamarckiana)
Blue Flax (Linum perenne)
Four O'Clock - yellow (Mirabilis jalapa)
Halberd-leaved rose mallow (Hibiscus laevis/ militaris)
Rose mallow 'Lady Baltimore' (Hibiscus moscheutos)
Ice Plant 'Harlequin' (Escarchada arlequin)
Joe Pye weed (Eupatorium purpureum)
Lavender (Lavendula angustifolia)
Money Plant (Lunaria biennis)
Nicotiana mix (Nicotiana alata)
Northern Sea Oats (Chasmanthium latifolium)
Sweet William - pink w/white edge (Dianthus barbatus)

-StLGirl

o
chamomile update

Just realized I had the wrong botanical name on my chamomile. It is actually (Matricaria recutita)

-StLGirl

o

I ws Calycanthus floridus two years ago. Had several sprouts and kept two. They are still quite short. Probably need to repot them next spring for more growth. Fully hardy here in Z:4 for me.

o

OT: Calycanthus Floridus, I got a start from my Grandmother this year and am thrilled it is starting to thrive. It's a little thing only eight inches or so but hers are at least eight foot tall. They get red flowers and I always thought they smelled so sweet, they are like peonies for the ants. This is a wonderful shrub. It's not going on my wish list as I have little room and one started but I highly recommend it.

o

Sun, Oct 11, 09 at 11:37

wow, these lists are getting me so excited about the swap!!!

All of you have some really interesting flowers. I am still new so I am not the best seed collector so mostly I gather the easy to grab stuff :)

I can't wait to see what I get!!!
There are more seeds I want just from reading here, I am so addicted.

thanks again Token for hosting! Let me know if I should send you more seed variety!! I sent 2 of each type of seed that I collected. My garden is so new I only have a little to send. I did stuff the seed packs real full though.

Thanks Flood for the bee balm! I love that flower and want lots of it!!!

Karen

o

Here's my best looking Sweet Shrub. They started germinating in March and I planted them out in late June. The ones I planted out did much better than those I left in containers to give away. I plan to take cuttings from the mother plant this winter. They're deciduous so they should root from hardwood cuttings.

I'm still waiting on the hardy orange seeds. Poncirus trifoliata. It's a mean looking shrub with white fragrant flowers in spring. I have two in the woods here. The lady that built these gardens decades ago had some nice specimens.

o
RE: WANTED: Winterswapping.2

I collected lots of pineapple sage seeds today. I've already tested others for germination. Out of the 4 seeds sown, three are putting on their second leaves already. I sowed them in good soil using a 4" pot. They get evening sun and all day shade. I'll overwinter them in the basement under lights. I should have enough to make two or three small packs of seed if anyone else wants to try. Once you have them, rooting them is easy and you can keep them going over the winter indoors. They bloom late summer, early fall and all the way til frost. Only hardy to zone 8/9. I'm hoping they'll come back next year with heavy mulch. Here's the hedge I planted out in spring. I took this photo last week. The post in the background is 6' tall.

o

Hi All!

Token, I'd love to try your pineapple sage!

I'm waiting to mail my envy out due to a lot of people wanting heuchera seeds. I'll try and get as many packets as I can.

Lisa

o

Is there still time to join in? I should just be able to make the "20 varieties" I didn't collect a lot of seeds this year

Frances

o

Still plenty of time to join. Mail your seeds by November 20th. Email me for the address.

o

I'm putting groundcherry on my wish list, I hope someone has some!

o

I think I will be sending a box....
here is what I have

Agastache "Apache sunset"
Monarda - Bee Balm "Panoramic mix" (pink - white)
4 0clock - Marvel of Peru
Asclepias tuberosa - Butterfly weed (orange)
Cosmos bipinnatus "Double Click Rose Bon Bon"
Feverfew - Pleno
Rudbeckia - "Tribola"
Blackberry lilies (oranges)
Gaillardia - "Burgandy"
Hollyhocks "Fiesta Time"
Columbine "Blue Barlow"
Anthemis "Golden Marguerite "
Lychnis Alba "White Campion"
Heliopsis "Loraine sunshine"
Nicotiana Tinkerbell
Heuchera americana "Daless Strain"
Tanacetum niveum " Jackpot "
White Scabiosa
Larkspur "Gentian Blue"
Wild Red Columbine
Grape Hyacinth
Feverfew "Virgo"
Dianthus "Maiden Pink"
Nicotiana "Only the Lonely"
Potentilla "Miss Wilmont"
Helenium autumnale "Mardi Gras"
Echinops rito , globe thistle
Dicentra "Bleeding Heart" pink
Papaver paeoniflorum " Pink Paeony"
Nigella damascena "Miss Jekyll"
Gaillardia - "Yellow Queen"
Helenium autumnale 'Helena Gold'
Amaranthus "Princes Feather"
Aramanthus "Intense Purple"
Rudbeckia "Goldilocks"
Liatris spicata 'Floristan White'
Cerinthe major "Shrimp Plant"
Centaurea macrocephala "Armenian Basket Flower"

o

Ok I got my twentieth for the swap together. Here it is my sister in laws pink yarrow that fades to white.
leanna's yarrow

o

I would like to join!

o

Mon, Oct 12, 09 at 12:40

columbusgardener, that is an impressive list!
Flood that is some really pretty Yarrow! I have the yellow ones in my yard.
Token, I saw this thread mentioned on a post in the roundrobin forum so we may have more people other than wintersowers coming soon. Just FYI in case you get lots more responses.
Let me know if you need any help!
Karen

o

one Pack of each (unless noted) Open polinated in my garden, results from seed may vary.

Hardy Hibiscus (pink w red eye)
Cleome - Purple Queen (I have lots of this if anyone is interested)
Nigella - Persion Jewel
Morning GLory - Heavenly Blue
DayLily (seed parent Siloam Red Ruby)
Morning Glory Mix (Hybrid , Granpa OTT, Pearly Gate, Crimson Rambler)I have lots of this if anone is interested
HollyHock - Pink and Burgundy Singles
Blackberry Lily
Talinium - Jewel of Opar (I have 2 or possibly three packets)
Black Eyed Suzie Vine
Clematis Hybrid Seed Parent "FireWorks"
Daylily - Seed Parent Pink Ruffled, possibly "Halls Pink"
Mirabalis - Solid Yellow
Mirabalis - Mix
Blue Butterfly Pea

Commercial Packs - 2009 Openned plenty of seeds left)
Cardinal Creeper
Achillea - Summer Pastels Mix
Zinnia - Giant Double Mix
Okra - Emerald
Beans - Tendergreen Improved Bush

I also have RoseHips from a yellow shrub rose.
Large ripe hips. Will only send if someone really wants some. they are BIG

I am interested in plants for DRY SHADE
Columbine (other than Purple) jacobs ladder,bleeding hearts coral bells, stuff like that.

o

Thanks Karen. I've lost count of how many have joined now. I'll be getting a tally together when I have a day off later this week. The more people, the more seeds, the more variety.

o

Token, I see a lot of people posting what they are sending - are we supposed to be doing that? I'm not close to done with sorting yet; it will be at least another couple of weeks before I have a grip on what I'll be sending. Hope that's ok.

o

Token thanks for the encouraging email...I am in!!!!

Heidi

o

Drippy, I think some are just overly excited to get on with next year's sowing. Don't worry if you aren't sure what you will send. I haven't packaged anything yet, but I have an idea of at least 10 of the packs.

Golden Jubilee Agastache
Datura inoxia
Giant red amaranthus
pineapple salvia
salvia subrotunda
rudbeckia (brown and yellow tones)
rudbeckia (Cherry Brandy second year)
Butterfly bush
Red Texas Star hibiscus
White dinner plate sized hibiscus
Red Gallo blanket flower
White hyacinth bean
melampodium
red coreopsis - someone asked for this earlier in the year and I cannot remember who it was. If you did, speak now.

o

token, I don't think it was me who asked for that red coreopsis, but it's red and I love it, so I think I'll put it on my want list.

o

Token, I would love some of that red coreopsis for my red bed.
Can't remember if I asked for some earlier.

o

Token, if you have enough for one more person, I'd love some of the red coreopsis too. BTW, is that an annual type?

Bonnie

o

It is an annual Bonnie. And I should have enough for about 5 packs. Don't worry though, once you have it, it reseeds heavily I'm told. I scattered most of the seeds around the garden and saw some germination over the summer. Just put it on your wish list with my name. :)

o

Drippy, I put up a list of what I'm sending so as I am packing it up ppl can see it and let me know if they want something so I have time to pack it and add it to the bunch. I'm almost as excited by the side swaps on this one as I am about the swap all together. :)

o

Red Coreopsis here too PLEASE - if they aren't all spoken for - it's BEAUTIFUL!!

I can also bug Bonnie for seeds next year...

Deb (austinnhanasmom)

o

Token I would love some of your red coreopsis.

fcofill I would love some of your yellow rose hips. I don't have yellow roses yet.

Those new to the swap can check my list and see if I have anything they are interested in.

Thanks Becky

o

Token, Thanks for the invitation. I would like to join. I will see what I have to send and post a list when I know.

Token, I am probably too late to request the red Coreopsis but if you have any left I would love some.

fcofill I would like to try some of your yellow rose hips.

Flood, I'd love to try your sherbet fizz calendula if you have enough left.
Thanks!
Denise

o
list for Winterswapping.

Here is a list of some of what I will be sending.

Baptisia Australis
purple and pink lupin mixed
Dianthus Siberian Blues
Double white Rose of Sharon might be White Chiffon
Lavender Balloon Flower
Echinacea White Swan
Echinacea Finale
Double Gloriosa Daisy
dwarf red butterfly bush- How do I know when they are ready to be harvested.

I am interested in
White or lavender moonvine
Gaillardia burgundy
Columbine blue barlow
Dwarf Butterfly bush blue,pink or purple.
Dicentra formosa 'Aurora'
Anemome sylvestris
Hosta Lime colored or lime/yellow variegated
Jacobs Ladder
Heuchera

Thanks
Denise

o

I've collected enough to swap, so here I am. Thank you Token for hosting this exchange.

Here is what I'll be sending:
Anise Hyssop
English Wallflower
Rose Campion
Clarkia Lilac Pixie
Nicotiana Sylvestris
Stock, Giant Imperial Mixed
Zinnia Lilliput
Zinnia Scarlet Flame
Gaillardia Burgundy
Gaillardia Fanfare
Shasta Daisy
Columbine, Yellow
Cosmos Bright Lights (orange and yellow)
Morning Glory Kniolas Black
Saponaria
Fringed Pinks Double Gaiety
Nicotiana Robert Johnson
Datura White (scented)
Pulsatilla
Red Hollyhock

o

Token:

If there is room for one more person, please sign me up.

I am new, but have spent hours reading posts on the WS forum. Collecting containers now. So exciting!

I have commercial seed from 2009. Should we post our lists of seeds to share here? In addition to sending our seeds and lista to you?

Thanks!

o

Please count me in! I would like some red coreopsis and sweet shrub seeds if available. I scanned pretty quickly - just want to confirm the deadline to send seeds is November 20?
Sylvia

o

I finally have 20 packs! This is my first swap--it's very exciting.

Here's what I will be sending:

Agastache aurantiaca coronado
Alyssum saxatile compactum
Amsonia illustris
Basil purple ruffles (has reverted to green unruffled but makes great pesto)
California poppy
Convolvulus blue enchantment
Coreopsis grandiflora early sunrise
Coreopsis tinctoria mahogany midget
Cornflower black ball
Cosmos bright lights
Datura inoxia
Gomphrena globosa (lavender color)
Hysoppus officinalis
Marigold (orange color, shaped like a short Mexican hat)
Nasturtium double gleam mix
Penstemon digitalis mystica
Purple coneflower
Salad burnet
Solidago nemoralis
Trollius chinensis golden queen (20 seeds, all I have, fabulous for WS)

I have extra packs for some (penstemon, coreopsis, cornflower) and will gladly pass them along to others participating in this swap.

o

Forgot to add my wish list to the above post.

Any Echinacea
Any Rudbeckia
Asclepias incarnata
Any Salvia
Tomatoes
Hyacinth bean

And essentially anything that is not deer candy.

kt

o

Remember folks, if I haven't emailed you with my address, it's because I haven't gotten an email from you. Be sure to email me through gardenweb with the subject "Winterswapping". Thanks!

Yes, the due date is Nov 20. Have your seeds in the mail by that day. I'll have all the seeds in my hands by the end of November and start sorting Dec 1.

o

Token,

Count me in...won't know until later in the month what I will be sending...wait, ripen amd dry...LOL!

If you have some of your red coreopsis left, I would love it. I think your five might be gone??

I am not picky on what I receive, but love.....
RED...RED...RED
self sowing annuals
sweet peas (any)
whitish marigold (floodthelast GW ID)
Butterfly Bush
Climbing nasturiums (any)
Fava beans...can't find them anywhere...does anyone have?

Token, sending you an email via GW...

Thanks for hosting!!

Annie

o

Ktinmd, please include a pack of Penstemon digitalis mystica for me. Thanks, Bobbie.

Here is a link that might be useful: My exchange lists

o

Hi girls and guys,
Please sign me up to. I almost forgot about the 20/20 swap.

Now I'm still a little confused. do I post what I want or just send in seeds and get 20 different kinds than I sent in? Or send In my wish list with my seeds? I thought that was it but now I'm confused
so far I have collected...
beauty bush last years seeds shrub
african daisy A
coreopsis P
rose campion P
lupine P
shasta daisy not alaska P
convolous A
jacobs ladder P
purple cone flower P
pink hibiscus P
tall aster P
phlox pink with white eye 2ft tall P
devils claw A
blue bedder salvia P
columbine granny's bonnet P
I just need 5 more.
:)Laura

o

Laura, you send in your 20 with a wishlist of what you want. I'll try my best to get at least 5. It's great that everyone is posting what they're sending. You can make a wishlist from this thread. :)

o

ktinmd-
I would love to get some of your Coreopsis tinctoria mahogany midget, Cornflower black ball and Penstemon digitalis mystica if you still have extras. Please check my page to see if I have anything you would like. Thanks,
Jess/jessied

o

hey token,

count me in for the swap as well.

Did you find any of the tall artemesia?

Thanks!
Linda

o

Hey ktinmd, if that Agastache aurantiaca coronado is more orange than pink, I'd love to have some.

Bonnie

o
Winterswapping.

After reading my own post I realized I did not have everything listed:

Agastache "Apache sunset"
Monarda - Bee Balm "Panoramic mix" (pink - white)
4 0clock - Marvel of Peru
**Asclepias tuberosa - Butterfly weed (orange) **
Cosmos bipinnatus "Double Click Rose Bon Bon"
Feverfew - Pleno
Rudbeckia - "Tribola"
Blackberry lilies (oranges)
**Gaillardia - "Burgandy"**
Hollyhocks "Fiesta Time"
Columbine "Blue Barlow"
Anthemis "Golden Marguerite "
Lychnis Alba "White Campion"
Heliopsis "Loraine sunshine"
Nicotiana Tinkerbell
Heuchera americana "Daless Strain"
Tanacetum niveum " Jackpot "
White Scabiosa
Larkspur "Gentian Blue"
Wild Red Columbine
Grape Hyacinth
Feverfew "Virgo"
Dianthus "Maiden Pink"
Nicotiana "Only the Lonely"
Potentilla "Miss Wilmont"
Helenium autumnale "Mardi Gras"
Echinops rito , globe thistle
Dicentra "Bleeding Heart" pink
Papaver paeoniflorum " Pink Paeony"
Nigella damascena "Miss Jekyll"
Gaillardia - "Yellow Queen"
Helenium autumnale 'Helena Gold'
Amaranthus "Princes Feather"
Aramanthus "Intense Purple"
Rudbeckia "Goldilocks"
Liatris spicata 'Floristan White'
Cerinthe major "Shrimp Plant"
Centaurea macrocephala "Armenian Basket Flower"
Salivia "Blue Queen"
Penstemon "Navigator Mix"
Amaranthus "Pygmy Torch"
Gomphrena "Strawberry Fields"

The ones with the ** are ones that I will be sending as extras but I was able to add several others to replace them.

o

KTinMD

you don't have an email addy - I would like to set up a side trade - email me

Debbie

o

OCTOBER17,

I have some ground cherry seed. I don't have alot but will put your name on it and include when I send my seeds to Token!

Happy Birthday tomorrow.....Enjoy!

Annie

o

I have my seeds pretty much packed up, but am going to hold off for awhile and see if I can gather a few more locally - with all the moving around I did, this wasn't a great gardening year for me, so I'm reduced to seed snatching, LOL. I won't say what I'm sending, but here's my wish list:

Annuals
Perennials
Herbs
Vegetables
Shrubs
Trees
No kudzu, poison ivy, or invasives

Hopefully, you'll be able to fill some of my wishes, Token! :)

o

Hi Everyone!

Just wanted to remind those that have requested RoseHips to be sure and send token an extra stamp or two to cover the postage! these are large I will be sending 2 good sized hips (unless you tell me otherwise)

Hi Drippy! you are on the move again! Southern gardening has its own challenges, I hope you have more success next year!

Frances

o

I have some Dahlia seeds that I'm going to put in the swap. Please don't email me to request side trades on any of these, cause I only have enough for one packet of each, about 25 seeds of each color. If you want any of these, please put it on your wish list for token to decide on.

Red, about 24 inches tall
Photobucket

Yellow with pink edges, about 18 inches tall
Photobucket

Pink, red and white streaky, about 12 inches tall
Photobucket

Harlequin, about 12 inches tall
Photobucket

o

*sigh*

I really wish Dahlias liked me more. I just don't have any luck with them at all.

Btw..we're about out of space on this thread, so I'm gonna start a new one. They cut us off at 150 posts.

winterswapping 2

o

I would really like to join, thanks Carol

o

Sun, Oct 18, 09 at 10:13

Hey Token, I know this is a pain but, is there anyway to get a list of who is signed up so far? would help me in makin' my list. Thanks Pattie

o

I'm planning to post another list tonight Pattie. Trying to get all ya'll into one email group now. There's a lot of people signed up.

o

Mon, Oct 19, 09 at 8:52

Cool, thanks token.
Pattie

o

I'm in. Will email to confirm.
Wish list is broad (will include in package):

• Height- 48" is about as tall as I'd like
  • Blooms bigger than 2" are preferred for my wide-open areas.
  • Haven't met an upright sedum that I didn't like
  • The brighter, the better- pastels tend to disappear in my gardens- white is welcome!
  • Generally love anything with a well-behaved habit- things that are "mounding" or have a "compact" or "clump" form
  • Always on the lookout for interesting heucheras to add to the collection.
  • Don't rule it out if it's 'common,' because I do love my liatris & marigolds- got any named or newer ones or a liatris other than the 3-foot purple?
  • Any Butterfly stuff (looking for "Bouquet" Dill)
  • Please exclude: groundcovers, tall cosmos, herbs (other than butterfly ones), "xeriscaping" varieties...that's about it. I'm open to most anything.
    Thanks for hosting, Token!

•  o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: This thread has reached the upper limit for the number follow-ups allowed (150). If you would like to continue this discussion, please begin a new thread using the form on the main forum page.

Return to the Winter Sowing Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
    • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
    • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
    • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
    • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
    • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
    • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here