Return to the Winter Sowing Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
WANTED: ~*~Welcome to WinterSwap 2011~*~

Posted by sassybutterfly_2008 7 NorthWest GA (My Page) on
Sat, Oct 15, 11 at 12:51

Welcome! Welcome to WinterSwap 2011 !!

Let's get the basics out of the way so we can get to the seeds!

The rules are long and detailed in order to avoid any confusion for our newbies. For the seasoned veterans you can scan for the basics and feel free to post if you have any questions or suggestions.

Rule#1 ~ Have FUN with this swap!!

Rule#2 ~ Post here if you wish to join. Tell us your name and how long you have been wintersowing. Then send me an email (found on my GW member page) with 'WinterSwap' in the subject line. Send me your gardenweb ID, your name and mailing address. I will respond with a copy of the rules and my mailing address. Please post here if you do not receive an email from me and I will do the same if I have not received one from you.

Rule#3 ~ Sign-ups will be allowed until November 10th. Packages MUST be mailed to me no later than November 15th. I will have the packages back in the mail to you for arrival by December 22nd, this year's Winter Solstice.

Rule#4 ~ Please update your Gardenweb trade pages. Update those wish lists and your seeds available for trade. *IF* you wish people to contact you for side trades, please say that in your post here.

Rule#5 ~ Please mail your packets in a bubble mailer no smaller than 6x9. Please include a mailing label with your return address on it. Please include a minimum of 6-8 stamps for the return trip. If you request a delivery confirmation on your return package, please include an additional 2 stamps and a note stating you want one. You will most likely be receiving more back than what you submit, especially if you have side swaps. Please keep that additional weight in mind and include even more stamps if you feel it is necessary. Any postage left will be returned to you.

Rule#6 ~ Seed varieties should be limited to flowers, bushes/shrubbery (azaleas, spirea, beauty berry, etc.) or fruit bearing trees and plants. As far as edibles go, let's stick to fruit seeds and tomatoes as those seem to do the best with the winter sowing technique and the tomatoes seemed to be a crowd favorite last year.

Rule#7 ~ You may send in up to 40 packets of flowers, bushes/shrubbery, and/or fruit seeds. You may also send in up to 10 packs of tomato seeds. To clarify, send in UP TO 40 packs of flower/bush/fruit seeds and UP TO 10 packs of tomato seeds for a TOTAL MAXIMUM amount of 50 packs of seed per player.

Rule#8 ~ Please send in no more than 3 packs of seed per named variety. To clarify - you may send in 3 packs of 'Crazy' Daisy or if you have 3 DIFFERENT types of daisies in your stash, you may send in 3 packs PER variety. NO 'Unknown' Mixes are allowed. Please do not send in packs labeled 'Cleome Mix' or 'Morning Glory Mix' or 'Wildflower Mix'. Let's try to WOW each other at least a little bit with our contributions. If YOU would be pleased to receive it, chances are someone else will be too. This is not a clean-your-seed-box-out kind of swap.. (there will be an opportunity for that below). It's meant to be a means to swap some great varieties of all sorts so that we can all share our gardens with one another.

Rule#9 ~ Your packets should include the following information: (and if they don't, I will send you back 50 packs of Black Eyed Susan seeds. ) (JUST KIDDING!!!..but I do have a LOT to share..lol !!)
You packets should include:
--Your Gardenweb ID (if you don't mind!)Might be helpful to those of us that might want to contact a seed trader for more information on the particular plant.
--Seed Variety name. Botanical name too if you happen to know it. Any known info re: height, shade or p/shade or full sun. Color of flower might be nice.
--YEAR seed was harvested. No seeds older than 2010 please!
--One of the following three codes:
--(C) for Commercial Seed
--(T) for seed obtained by Trade
--(G) for seed grown in your own Garden

Rule#10 ~ Please send in a 'SENT' list with all the varieties listed that you have sent in for the swap. This will also help me to keep from returning your own seed back to you.

Rule#11 ~ Please also send in a 'WISH' list of up to 20 items and up to 10 specific tomato varieties that you want the MOST. Please be specific. If you want only blue flowers.. please state that. If you want only vines.. state that. If you want shade only plants.. state that. But please understand that I can only fill your wishes from the variety of seeds that are sent in for the swap. If no one sends in a specific variety, you may not receive it. So give me a broad list from which to grant your wishes. I will use this to try to fill some of your ultimate wishes and I will also be using your regular wish list on your GW page. If you do not wish to receive tomatoes in your package, PLEASE note this on your wish list page!

Rule#12 ~ 'Side swaps' are allowed and even encouraged. BE SURE to check one another's posts on here to BE SURE it is ok to contact someone directly regarding a trade. If a player has not stated that they are ok to be contacted for trades PLEASE do not contact them without at least posting a question here on the swap thread first. ALL side swaps should be packaged in a baggie plainly marked with the recipient's Gardenweb ID on the outside of the baggie. Any side swap baggies will be put directly into the receiver's mailer. I will not be opening any of the side swap baggies. I am just acting as the mailer for you. :) I will leave it up to each of you to keep up with your own side swap trades as I will not be monitoring that process.

Rule#13 ~ 'Gifts' and 'Extras'. Here is where you will have an opportunity to clean out that seed box. You are welcome to go thru everyone's individual wish lists and 'gift' seeds to an individual person. I'm sure we would all be thrilled to have those 'gifts', but I am not making it a mandatory requirement. Again, any 'gifted' seeds should be put into a baggie with the recipient's gardenweb ID marked plainly on the front of it. If you do not have the time or the desire to go that route you are welcome to put any 'Extras' you have into a larger baggie and just mark it plainly on the outside as 'Extras'. **If you send in a huge baggie of thousands of, let's say.. Bread Seed Poppy seeds, please also send some empty individual packets that I can use to break down the large amounts into swap size packets. I don't mind doing the extra work of breaking down the larger quantities but I really can't afford to buy hundreds of extra baggies to carry out that process.** Any 'Extras' will be used to supplement the newbie envelopes, some will be offered up as a 'last call' before I mail out, and many will be sent to the Newbie Project that bakemom so graciously hosts and/or to Trudi's Wintersown.org to share with future new winter sowers.

**DISCLAIMER** Please know that I will do all I humanly can to fill as many of your wishes both on your 'wish' list and your regular gardenweb page. BUT this all depends on YOU, the participants and the types of seeds that you send in. The more common seeds and 'fillers' are definitely a necessary need in our gardens but let's try to really please each other and send in some crowd favorites as well. And newbies, don't be overwhelmed. If you only have 10 to 15 types of seed to send in, go for it! I can personally guarantee you will receive more packs than you sent in just for your participation!

Everyone will receive no less than the amount of seed packets mailed in and, most likely, many more!

Again, if you have questions, please post here or put them in your emails to me. I will be responding to emails every night.

Now, let's start digging in those seed boxes and harvesting those seeds from our gardens and let's have some FUN!

~Wendy / Sassyb. / AKA your personal WS seed enabler! :)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: WANTED: ~*~Welcome to WinterSwap 2011~*~

Ok, well, obviously I am joining the swap. :)) My name is Wendy and I have been winter sowing every year since 2008. Every year the 'ghetto' gets larger and larger too (much to my family's disdain) lol

~Wendy

o

Add me, please Wendy.
My name is Alana, and I have been wintersowing for 2 decades at least, although I did not know the technique had a name, lol.

o

• Posted by lois PA Zone 6 (My Page) on
    Sun, Oct 16, 11 at 9:15

Hi, I'd like to join. My name is Lois, and I've been wintersowing for 3 years. Wintersowing and seed trading has allowed me to grow many flowers that I would never otherwise have experienced. As a result, I have some interesting seeds that (hopefully) will interest folks who join this swap; for example:

Japanese anemone Margarete (1 trade harvested Dec 2010)

Delphinium belladonna light blue Cliveten Beauty

Foxglove, straw (perennial yellow)

Helleborus Niger

Helleborus hybridus (dark maroon)

Hollyhock, pink (I have tons of these seeds, so everyone please put them on your want list, LOL)

Penstemon: jingle bells (tall, scarlet flowers)

tree peony: From plant that has double, red flowers

o

Wendy, thanks for hosting the swap! This will be my third year wintersowing and I'm looking forward to trying some new seeds. Margie

o

Thanks for joining Alana, Lois and Margie! I've emailed each of you my mailing info. Please let me know if you didn't receive it.

It's been a long day here, time to get to bed!

~Wendy

o

Now that the swap has officially been posted, I want to join too. Last year was the first year that I actually started WS (still not knowing what I was doing) but was really surprised at the results. This year I want to try just doing special things for fall flowers like mums or early winter-spring plants such as helleborus. Thanks for hosting Wendy.

Ellie

o

My name is Linda. Last year was my first real year of wintersowing, and
some seeds germinated. It was great. Looking forward to wintersowing
again.

o

Hi Wendy
Sign me up also please
I have been winter sowing about 4 years now,,I still get so excited when they sprout up,,,some make it some don't I try again,,
This year I have alot of seeds to share,,,
I decorated my fall scene with all the things I grew,, so pleased about that,,pumkins-gourds-indian corn,,corn stalks,, just wonderful feeling I grew them all..
My tomatoes were tasty ones,,butter nut 8-10 lbs yummy.

Lets the trades begin,,
Lisa

o

Hi Everyone,

Thanks Wendy for hosting and the tremendous amount of work I foresee for you. My name is Donna and I am a newbie to WS. I have been lurking in the WS forum trying to figure out where to start. I am also new to WG and have not got my lists posted. Lots and lots to learn here. When I get them listed (probably need help) but I would welcome side trades. This has been my first year of gardening as a retiree and I'm so proud of my little successes. It's additictive!

o

Hi Wendy!
I would like to join this exchange. Don't laugh but I thought "winter sow" meant starting your plants indoor at the end of winter(I always do that... breakout the all-things-living lights and the egg cartons). I just went to the wintersow website the other day and found out differently. Now I am really excited so I will send the few varieties of flowers I have grown (mostly Texas natives made it through the drought and heat)and will purchase some others for this exchange. I dont feel comfortable sending in trades that i have not grown out. So since I am shopping are there any varieties that are requested/ wanted more than the others? What kind of fruits can be winter sown? Thanks!

o

Hi there. My name is Ann, and I would like to try to winter sow this year. I just learned about it a few weeks ago on GW. I hope to hear about your rules to see if I qualify.

o

Welcome Ellie, Linda, Lisa, Donna, Ann and Texaspinkpixie! I've emailed each of you my mailing info except for Texaspinkpixie (apparently your email is not showing on your gardenweb page) and Carolepeony/Donna I am emailing you right now with some directions on how to edit your GW lists and the winter sowing FAQ's if you haven't found it already.

Texas... can you email me please? And in response to your questions above, you're welcome to click on each person's page and view their 'wishes' to get a general idea of what they are looking for. But, really, don't go out and spend loads of money on this, ok? We have plenty of seeds to go around. :) As far as fruits I've winter sown with great results : pear tree, blueberry, currants, muscadine, grapes, and strawberry (alpines). If it grows into a vine or a bush or tree, most likely it'll do well with winter sowing. Anything that can re-seed itself in nature is a perfect choice for winter sowing. Hope that helps!

Ann ~ no qualifying necessary! If you'd like to try winter sowing then you're in! :)

~Wendy / sassyb.

o

Hi there. My name is Tiffany. This is my first year for winter sowing. Friends at the local plant swap have talked to me about it for a couple of years...but I have had terrible luck with seeds. In a last effort to be sure I have tried everything possible to grow seeds - I would like to give this a try. Looking forward to the possibilities - should be interesting, especially in the dead of winter.

I have meager seeds to offer from my garden - but I hope you all enjoy them all the same. :D

o

Welcome Tiffany :) I think you're going to find that you love it!

And don't be so quick to call your seeds 'meager'.. it never fails to surprise me how many times something in my own garden that I considered 'common' is something someone else has been wanting or looking for! That's the beauty of sharing with others across the whole U.S. Lots of different types of plants and lots of different wishes!

Please don't forget to send me an email with your mailing address info, Tiffany.

Thanks!
~Wendy / sassyb.

o

I'm Maria and I've been wintersowing four years. It keeps me sane during the long winters here, and the results have been more than worth the effort.

o

Sign me up and Wendy thanks for hosting this swap, I especially like swaps where we may get some of our wants fulfilled. I have been winter sowing since 2008 and am addicted. Suzanne

o

A big welcome to Maria and Suzanne!! Thanks for joining in. I've emailed you both.

:)

~Wendy

o

Hi Wendy, I'm just starting to wintersow...but I am so excited! I got my buckets and I have been reading the forums, I still need to find a good book to fill in the details. My house grown seedlings never make it through the hardening off process so someone suggested this. Of course! It makes so much sense.

Please sign me up for the winter swap. I dont have much seed saved yet, but I can share what I have.

Thanks,
Tracey :-)

o

Hi everyone!
Sign me up! :)

Hi! My name is Vina and I love wintersowing! Wendy, thanks for hosting!! This looks like a fun one. Emailing you right now. :)

My want list is updated. Still need to update my have list. And I'm open to side swaps.

Talk to you later!
vina

o

Hi everyone! I've winter sown a few times, but it was years and years ago. We've finally got our own house, so I'm looking to fill in the yard! I will update my want and have list later this week, and I'm open to side swaps. Thanks!

o

Hi Wendy,
My name is Anna, and I have never winter sown before. I just found out about it this past summer when I was looking online for some information about some other plant.

That's also how/when I found GW, and I have loved it! My favorite thing is is opening trade envelopes/boxes, closely seconded by going through other members' lists and googling the images of the plants I find there (and then adding those plants to my own list, most likely!)
I don't have a whole lot to offer for winter sowing, but I do have a question: Peppers are technically fruits, but do they count as such for this trade?

I'm definitely open for side-swaps!

Thanks Wendy!!!

o

Wendy,

I would love to be part of the Winter Swap.
Last winter was my first attempt at winter sowing.
I had lots of fun, and great success.
Some of my plants died because I planted them too late.
I can't wait to try it again this year.

I'm sending an e-mail your way.

Thanks,
Matthew Condon
Indian.Matt

o

ohhhh pooooo! I wonder why that happened? It is up there now though (if not it is arcadiaseeker@hotmail.com) but it should be up and going...

o

Wendy, How many seeds per packet in the ones that we send to you?

o

Wendy, I would love to join too. My name is Linda and last year was my first wintersowing. I used 2 litre bottles and it was a disaster. I did get 1 shasta daisy from a milk jug though so it was just enough to whet my appetite. I will update my list asap.
Thanks, Linda

o

A big welcome to Tracey, Vina, Karrigan, Anna, Matthew and Linda! :)

I've emailed each of you so please let me know if you didn't receive it.

Here's the list of who's signed up so far:
1. poisondartfrog /Alana ~ emails exchanged
2. lois / Lois ~ emails exchanged
3. onedaylily / Margie ~ emails exchanged
4. farmergirl2009 / Ellie ~ emails exchanged
5. roper2008 / Linda ~ emails exchanged
6. texaspinkie / ?? ~ waiting on an email****
7. apoppyfield / Ann ~ emails exchanged
8. caroleapony / Donna ~ emails exchanged
9. tlfox / Tiffany ~ emails exchanged
10. shemeows / Maria ~ emails exchanged
11. hibiscusfan / Suzanne ~ emails exchanged
12. tracyokc / Tracey ~ emails exchanged
13. flowergirl34 / Vina ~ emails exchanged
14. ktrout / Karrigan ~ emails exchanged
15. thatannagirl / Anna ~ emails exchanged
16. Indiana.Matt / Matthew ~ emails exchanged
17. ibartoo / Linda ~ emails exchanged

Thanks for joining in everyone! Keep 'em coming!

~Wendy / sassyb.

oh, and Donna/caroleapony ~ I'm not going to list an exact amount for seeds.. if they're big seeds maybe 8-12, and the smaller the more you'd add in... usually at least 20-25 for mid size and tiny could be even smaller. BUT, if you have a packet you're using yourself and you want to share but you only have a limited amount, that works too because I'm sure someone will be thrilled to try it even if it's a limited number. Just try to send as much as you feel is FAIR. Sound good?

o

I would love to join the swap! Not sure yet what I will have to offer, but I know what I want!

My name is Ellie and I'll be sending you an email sassyb. Thank you so much for hosting!

o
~*~Welcome to WinterSwap 2011~*~

Hi!
My name is Heidi. I got ready to winter sow last year and chickened out. I was afraid the plants would die. I swapped seeds last year and enjoyed doing so. I have many flowers from those seeds. Sounds like fun! It's like Christmas for plant lovers!

o

Okay. I plant mostly veggies but after reading all of the posts, I'll have to give this a try. Is there a list of flowers that are good for wintersowing anywhere? I have flower seeds but do not know which are for wintersowing. I'll do some reading and try to figure it out.
Thanks Wendy!!

Kelly

o

Hi - Name is Tanya, last year was my first year wintersowing and I am a believer! Count me in. My trade reviews are under Gardenunusual, can't post in exchanges for some reason with that screen name.

thanks for hosting, this is going to be fun!

o

Hi Wendy, this will be my 1st yr to ws, actually this past yr is my 1st yr at garedening! I have been collecting gallon jugs and 2/3 liter bottles. WS sounds like an exciting way to garden through the winter months and to expand my garden.

o

Hi Wendy
My name is not on the post for signing up,, just to let you know,,
I am going threw all my seeds,, wow I do have some of their wants yippie,, Lisa

o

Hi!
I would love to join this swap! I missed the signups last year, it was my first year with gardenweb. Can't wait! Wintersowing keeps me from going stir crazy during the winter. I have been doing it for 3 years now and did not know it had a name either!
Nina

o

I'd like to join!

I tried wintersowing last year and I got some Shasha Daisies, which I've never been able to grow before! Those white daisies kept eluding me :P I'm pretty hooked now, so I'm looking forward to trying some new things out!

o

I would like to join in on this too. I'm a newbie to gardening and wintersowing but have read the wintersowing instructions and am really looking forward to doing it.

o

Welcome to all the newcomers! I hope everyone had a nice weekend. We sort of 'unplugged' this weekend and went out to enjoy the gorgeous fall scenery and hang out by the lake. It was really nice and very much needed quiet time!

I'll be emailing all of our newcomers and answering questions this evening.

Lisa / pumkingal ~ I added you onto my list I'll be updating tonight. Sorry about that!

~Wendy / sassyb.

o

Hi y'all, I'm brand new to this site and BRAND NEW to winter sowing.
I love trading seeds though and am getting ready to look up winter sowing. also have to make my seed list on here.

Count me in. can't wait to learn all about it!!
Sharon Cash
Zone 7

o

Lots of new members this weekend! :)

Please let me know if I've left anyone off!

Welcome to Sharon/cashclan, Heidi/xiangirl and Kelly/kellyk49! ~Please be sure to email me directly and send me your address, etc!

Another big welcome to Mitchell/Flower2, Tanya/gardenunusual2, Muffy/Puffie, Tommy(?)/tomerrol, Ellie/october17 !!

I'm so happy to have all of you join in!

**Everyone so far should have received an email from me with my mailing address, etc. Please let me know if you didn't receive and I'll try, try again! :)

~Wendy / sassyb.

o
Roll Call!

Here's the latest roll call:

1. poisondartfrog /Alana ~ info rec'd
2. lois / Lois ~ info rec'd
3. onedaylily / Margie ~ info rec'd
4. farmergirl2009 / Ellie ~ info rec'd
5. roper2008 / Linda ~ info rec'd
6. texaspinkie / Rebecca ~ info rec'd
7. apoppyfield / Ann ~ info rec'd
8. caroleapony / Donna ~ info rec'd
9. tlfox / Tiffany ~ info rec'd
10. shemeows / Maria ~ info rec'd
11. hibiscusfan / Suzanne ~ info rec'd
12. tracyokc / Tracey ~ info rec'd
13. flowergirl34 / Vina ~ info rec'd
14. ktrout / Karrigan ~ info rec'd
15. thatannagirl / Anna ~ info rec'd
16. Indiana.Matt / Matthew ~ info rec'd
17. ibartoo / Linda ~ info rec'd
18. pumkingal / Lisa ~ info rec'd
19. october17 / Ellie ~ info rec'd
20. xiangirl / Heidi ~ *need mailing address
21. kellyk49 / Kelly ~ *need mailing address
22. gardenunusual2 / Tanya ~ info rec'd
23. tomerrol / Tommy(?) ~ *need mailing address
24. beautifulreddahlias / Nina ~ info rec'd
25. puffie / Muffy ~ info rec'd
26. flower2 / Mitchell ~ info rec'd
27. cashclan / Sharon ~ *need mailing address
28. shant (?) / Shanti ~ *need mailing address

If you're marked as 'info rec'd', then you're good to go! If you have anything else beside your name, please email me with the needed info. Thanks!!

***We'll be starting some games on November 1st with prizes of.. what else?? SEEDS! :)

o

I'd like to join.

My name is Jeff, and this will be my first year wintersowing. Well, with the jugs and whatnot. Last year I sort of sprinkled poppies and columbine over the ground... which never quite turned out. Anyway, I'm really looking forward to it this year. I hope I can get some of those tricky seeds (like delphinium...) to grow!

Jeff

o

Hi Wendy, I'd like to join! Haven't really tried the winter sowing before this will be a first! I'm open to side trades. Kathie

o

Your shill has arrived!!! LOL

Whooooooooooooooooo hooooooooooooo!!! Looking AWESOME!!!

Here is a link that might be useful: Had to do it!!!

o

• Posted by lceh 7 VA (My Page) on
    Thu, Oct 27, 11 at 8:26

Please add me too! Last year was my first WS and I was blown away.

Thanks!

o

windy
Sounds like fun!GW member for 2 years and seed trades only, have not done the round robin yet. Well decided to try it,sign me up.... peaches0104@yahoo.com Will up date my trade list
Julie

o

Forgot to mention I'm open to side trades -- here's my list.

Here is a link that might be useful: my trade list

o

All right, sign me up too! I've been lurking on this forum for quite a while and you all finally convinced me to try winter sowing all the way, milk jugs and everything :) My name is Beth and this is my first year with winter sowing ... and I'm looking forward to it.
I will update my trade list asap. thanks everyone!

o

Well thank you Carolyn! lol :)

I am VERY impressed to say I've already received a package from apoppyfield / Anne !! Wow! Great work!

We have a few new swappers that have joined up. A big welcome goes out to Beth/lightning96, Julie/peaches0104, Lynne/lceh, Kathy/sinbadsmom & Jeff/vajeff!

I'm so happy you've joined us!

20. xiangirl / Heidi ~ info rec'd
21. kellyk49 / Kelly ~ info rec'd
23. tomerrol / Tom ~ info rec'd
29. vajeff / Jeff ~ info rec'd
30. sinbadsmom / Kathy ~ info rec'd
31. lceh / Lynne ~ info rec'd
32. peaches0104 / Julie ~ *need mailing address
33. lightning96 / Beth ~ info rec'd

If you're marked as 'info rec'd', then you're good to go! If you have anything else beside your name, please email me with the needed info. Thanks!!

Invite your friends to join in on the Winter Sowing fun! :)

~Wendy / sassyb.

o

shemeows - Maria,

Are you open to Side Swaps?

Donna

o

I have a question do we go threw others lists and add them (as extras) in our package to our hosts,,along with the 50 packs of seeds??? I am putting their names on bags and putting them in the bag,, is this right??
Lisa

o

Lisa ~ Yes, if you are 'gifting' some specific seeds to a particular player, then you would put them into their own baggie and put the player's name on the bag (or tucked inside). These do not count towards your 50 count (or whatever amount you send in) that you will be turning in for yourself.

So, yes, you are absolutely right! :)

~Wendy / sassyb.

o

Thank you so much thought I had it right,,
I would love extra trades also,, I did it for every one I had seeds for,,let the seeds be traded,,yippie
Lisa

o

Hi Lois, just checking to see if you are open to any side trades? Kathie

o

Sat, Oct 29, 11 at 15:03

Hi there... Thanks for reminding me, sinbadsmom... Yes, I am open to side trades. :o)

o

Lois sent you an email! Kathie

o

Please sign me up. Hi my is Debbie. This will be my fourth year wintersowning. Open to side trades.Thanks

o

Donna, please drop me a line. I mailed the envelope today, but I'll be glad to mail anything you might want to you.

o

Thanks Lisa (pumpkingal)!

I have your side trade together and in the envy now. I am open for side trades also (my list is a work in progress)
-Rebecca (texaspinkpixie)

o

Thanks Lisa (pumpkingal)!

I have your side trade together and in the envy now. I am open for side trades also (my list is a work in progress)
-Rebecca (texaspinkpixie)

o

Hello Everyone!!

What's everyone planning for Halloween this year? I had a small family party and we dressed up and attended a Zombie Walk. The walk was a canned food drive as well. They only expected maybe 50-75 people and nearly 400 'zombies' showed up! The costumes were amazing! :) We even caught a glimpse of ourselves on a CNN news feed.. my daughter swears she's famous now! :)

We still need to carve our pumpkins (I'm running SO behind this year!!) So I was looking up links for ideas and ran across this:

Photobucket

It is amazingly cool!!!

Here is a link that might be useful: Amazing Pumpkin Carvings

o

Welcome Debbie / snapdragon36!!! :) Glad you could join in!

o

Hi all just checking threw want lists and some of you's do not have one posted,, this is the time to post some of your wants ok,,
Happy halloween to us all
Lisa

o

Sign me up please. This will be my 4th or 5th year wintersowing and I'm still loving it. I'm open to side swaps and have been working on updating my trade lists. I am also still collecting seed and going through my seed stash, so the list should grow.

-Morgan (aka Molanic)

o

The only thing I will be doing this Halloween is giving out candy.
Last year only a few kids showed up. If no kids show up this year,
that more candy for me!

o

Suzanne, are you open to side trades? Kathie

o

Hi Wendy,
When I signed up I forgot to say that side trades are just fine. Thanks and I will get started shortly reviewing everyone's lists.

Ellie

o

Hi everyone! I hope you are all staying warm with Winter sneaking up on us so quick-like! I 'fixed' (southern girl, remember? lol) us a HUGE pot of hot chili last night. Perfect for a cold evening!!
PLEASE remember to get those wish lists updated!! I have several members that are going beyond the call of duty and trying to send something special to each and every one of you so please get those lists updated so that we know what you are looking for! I've emailed a few of you as a reminder.

I'll be posting a game on Friday so check back soon!

~Wendy / sassyb.

o

OK. I've been avoiding swaps for years, because I'm so busy. But, here goes. I've been wintersowing for about 8 years--I've lost track. I'm addicted to buying seeds, so I have a stack of commercial packs that I can never actually plant. Is it OK if I split them in half-or-so and keep some for myself? I don't want to short change anyone. I grow mostly natives or nectar plants for butterflies. I'm moving to a new house that is primarily shaded by oaks and pines.

Martha

o

I'm glad you joined in Martha /docmom and Morgan / Molanic!

I've received packages already from the following participants:

Alana / poisondartfrog
Anna / thatannagirl
Julie / peaches0104
Maria / shemeows
Donna / caroleapony
Ann / apoppyfield

Great job ladies!

Here's our latest list of swappers:

20. xiangirl / Heidi ~ info rec'd
21. kellyk49 / Kelly ~ info rec'd
23. tomerrol / Tom ~ info rec'd
29. vajeff / Jeff ~ info rec'd
30. sinbadsmom / Kathy ~ info rec'd
31. lceh / Lynne ~ info rec'd
32. peaches0104 / Julie ~ info rec'd
33. lightning96 / Beth ~ info rec'd
34. snapdragon36 / Debbie ~ info rec'd
35. Molanic / Morgan ~ info rec'd
36. docmom / Martha ~ info rec'd

Thanks everyone! I'll post our first scavenger hunt tomorrow!

~Wendy / sassyb.

o

When I signed up I forgot to mention that I'm open to side trades. Suzanne

o

Hi Everyone! Now that Wendy has extended the date until 11/30, I am excited to join the swap. I started wintersowing about 4 seasons ago and I have truly built all my gardens with it.I have been madly seed collecting and if I ever get it all packaged, I will have a lot to share. I will update my trade pages by the weekend. Open to side swaps.

Nancy (nan-6161)

o

Welcome Nancy / nan-6161!! :)

Looks like Nancy and I were posting at the same time, but yes, I am extending the DUE BY date to November 30th. So many of us are just SO busy getting ready for Thanksgiving and the holidays that I wanted to be sure everyone had enough time for harvested seed to dry, and enough time to pack up the seeds for swap!

Thanks everyone!
~Wendy

o

Hello Wendy,

Thanks for the email regarding the swap. It's been a busy fall so I haven't been on GW a whole lot. With the extended due date, I'd like to join the swap!

My name is Sandy and I believe this will be my 9th winter to winter sow and swap/trade seeds. Between seed trading and winter sowing, I've been able to grow so many plants that I wouldn't have tried before.

I'm also open to side trades.

Sandy

o

Just updated my list! Hope I'm not too late!

o

Hi, Wendy - Okay, I'm fixin' (Southern transplant, does that count?) to join this swap. I'm Kim, and this will be my 10th year WSing I think (maybe 9th - lost count). Gardens have been disrupted by moves (too many, IMO) in the last 3 years, but I am hopefully settling in for a spell in the Tennessee Valley part of northern Alabama.

I don't have as many varieties as in the past, as I've done a lot of cleaning out. Despite that, I still have enough seeds to plant for at least 3 incarnations. I am open to side trades with what's posted on my trade page.

Kim (aka Drippy)

o

Hi Wendy ,

Better late than never, huh ? ;-) Sign me up please ! I couldn't resist ... I had great success last year wintersowing and I can't wait to start again this year ! Wintersowing and swapping seeds are the best ways to make it thru the cold winter months here in Maryland !

Wendy, I know you probably already have my addie but I'm fixin' ( Georgia girl here too who wishes she was still in Georgia ) to send you my info again just to make sure ! Thank you for the invite ;-)

Iris

o

Hi Wendy,

I'd like to join this swap as well! This is technically my second year wintersowing, but last year I managed to do the impossible and actually kill most of my WS flats. Oops! Hopefully it was a learning year, and I'm ready to give it another try this year. :)

Looking forward to the swap!
Gretchen

o

Hey Wendy!
Just wanted to let you know that my bubblie is in the mail. :)
Thanks so much for hosting!
vina

o

Hi Wendy, I got my goodies off to you yesterday. Thanks again!

Tracey :-)

o

Thank you for hosting Wendy!!!

Sent off my bubble envie today - Can't wait to see what comes back - I love this swap!

o

I'm so happy so see some more members join in and how many envys are already on their way!

I apologize for not getting the Scavenger hunt up here today... I've had a migraine for 2 days now and today was even worse than yesterday. I've had my 'Risky Business' style sunglasses on most all day and just taking it easy. I will hopefully be feeling better by tomorrow and I'll get it up for you all then.

Thanks!
~Wendy / sassyb.

o

Wendy,
I wish you were in Michigan. I'm a hospice doc, and my purpose in life is to relieve pain. Unfortunately, my license doesn't extend to GA. I wish I could help. Please don't feel obligated to respond. Save your energy for important stuff. I have my seeds all packed and I'll send them out as soon as you get a chance to send your address.

Martha

o

Count me in! I would so regret not getting in the swap...off to see what I have in my stash....

o

Wendy,
FYI, I haven't received an e-mail with your address yet. I'm not in a big hurry, because I've been surfing the trade lists of other swappers and sticking in some gifts for fun. But, I don't want to get too far behind. I'm pretty sure I sent you the info you need, but I'll resend it just in case. Thanks,

Martha

o

Hey Martha, I responded to the email from your last post as well as one on the 6th of Nov. Please let me know if you still don't rec'v the info. I re-sent the original email back to you as well.

I'm SO thrilled to see so many new faces. EVERYONE should have rec'd their email from me at this point so if you did not, please post here or email me directly and let me know. My email has been known to go into spam folders at times..lol.

I'm sitting here working on the Scavenger Hunt I wasn't able to complete earlier in the weekend. I'm hoping to get that posted this evening after dinner.

Thanks everyone!
~Wendy

o
Emailing

Martha ~ I responded to you again. Please let me know if you received it.

Thanks!

o

My want list is short: shade flowers, zinnias, coleus and other flowers that are easy to grow, pretty, your favorite, etc. Thanks for asking!

Kelly

PS I'm sending my package out tomorrow...

o

Wendy, did my package arrive? I think I sent it around the 29th last month.

o

~~~~GAME TIME!!!~~~~~

Alrighty, in an effort to let people get to know each other I'm going to post some questions about various members and it's up to you to research and figure out who the members are based on the clues provided in the question. The answer to the question might be located in this thread, or swap member's individual pages. This will be a quickie game as I have another fun thing to do closer to Thanksgiving.

The PRIZE for this game will be:

(7) Heirloom tomato varieties of all the favorite colors from one of our garden web member's personal seed shop "Sample Seeds". I HIGHLY recommend her and hopefully I won�t be in trouble for stating that..lol

The tomato varieties are:
'Anna Russian'
'Black from Tula'
'Depp's Pink Firefly'
'Fantome Du Laos'
'Cherokee Green'
'Golden Queen'
'Pineapple'

And, YES! Tomatoes CAN be winter sown and it is so so so so unbelievably easy!! They are MUCH stronger and sturdier than indoor started plants!

You may post your answers here and I'll let you know which ones are correct or incorrect. First one with all the correct answers will claim the prize! Here are your questions:

1. Which swap member has been using the Winter Sowing method for nearly two decades?

2. Which swap member has kittens that are named after fruits?

3. Who was the first swap member that I received a package from?

4. Which swap member posted a hilarious thread about elk carcasses on her member page?

5. Which swap member lives in Virginia Beach, VA?

6. Which swap member told us about how she was able to grow her own Fall decor this year?

7. Which swap member loves to grow Hoyas?

8. Which swap member trains throroughbreds for racing?

9. Which swap member likes to plant their extra plants around their camper in Michigan?

10. Which swap member's favorite forum is 'Oklahoma Gardening'?

11. Which swap member asked me if peppers could be winter sown?

12. Which swap member lives on the coast of a barrier island in SC?

13. Which one of our swap members is an EXCELLENT song bird carver?

14. Which swap member gardens on Long Island's North Fork?

15. Which swap member works at an apple orchard?

16. Which swap member's garden web id begins with a Fall month?

17. Which swap member resides in southern Maryland?

18. Which swap member's garden web id has a type of fish in the name?

19. Which swap member writes that gardening gives her peace and that she has a love for irises?

20. Which swap member admits to carrying around seed baggies and clippers in her purse everywhere she goes?

Have fun! :)

~Wendy / sassyb.

o

Fun - I'm definitely going to have to update my boring page! Here's my list:

1. Poisondartfrog
2. Flowergirl34
3. apoppyfield
4. Lois
5. Roper2008
6. Pumpkingal
7. Lightning96
8. sinbadsmom
9. hibiscusfan
10. TraceyOKC
11. thatannagirl
12. ibartoo
13. tomerrol
14. Nan-6161
15. Indiana.Matt
16. October17
17. rane_grow
18. ktrout
19. Gardenunusual2
20. beautifulreddahlias

Margie

o

Well that was fast! I thought that might keep people busy for awhile..lol

Congratulations to Margie / Onedaylily! She was the first to respond AND the first to get all the answers right on the first try! I will have to make these much harder next time! :)

Margie, I will put your tomato prize package in your bubble envy along with the other seeds when they're on their way back home to you!

Here's an update on swap members and packages received:
1. poisondartfrog /Alana ~ pkg rec'd
2. lois / Lois ~
3. onedaylily / Margie ~
4. farmergirl2009 / Ellie ~
5. roper2008 / Linda ~
6. texaspinkie / Rebecca ~
7. apoppyfield / Ann ~ pkg rec'd
8. caroleapony / Donna ~ pkg rec'd
9. tlfox / Tiffany ~
10. shemeows / Maria ~ pkg rec'd
11. hibiscusfan / Suzanne ~
12. tracyokc / Tracey ~ pkg rec'd
13. flowergirl34 / Vina ~ pkg rec'd
14. ktrout / Karrigan ~
15. thatannagirl / Anna ~ pkg rec'd
16. Indiana.Matt / Matthew ~
17. ibartoo / Linda ~
18. pumkingal / Lisa ~
19. october17 / Ellie ~ pkg rec'd
20. xiangirl / Heidi ~ pkg rec'd
21. kellyk49 / Kelly ~
22. gardenunusual2 / Tanya ~
23. tomerrol / Tom ~
24. beautifulreddahlias / Nina ~
25. puffie / Muffy ~ pkg rec'd
26. flower2 / Mitchell ~
29. vajeff / Jeff ~
30. sinbadsmom / Kathy ~
31. lceh / Lynne ~
32. peaches0104 / Julie ~ pkg rec'd
33. lightning96 / Beth ~
34. snapdragon36 / Debbie ~
35. Molanic / Morgan ~
36. docmom / Martha ~
37. nan-6161 / Nancy ~
38. sandysgardens / Sandy ~
39. drippy / Kim ~
40. rane_grow / Iris ~
41. Gretchensgarden / Gretchen ~
42. daisydawnny / Dawn ~

Just an fyi ~ I haven't opened any of the packages yet. I'm not planning on doing that until all the pkgs have been received.

Thanks everyone!
~Wendy / sassyb.

o

That's awesome - thank you so much! Margie

o

What fun Wendy! Wowwee!!!

o

Hi everyone ! Are you ready for Thanksgiving yet ? Its only 11 days away !!

I've really been enjoying the fall sunshine while collecting seeds in the yard , spending hours going thru my seeds and packing them up. I should have them ready to mail to you very soon Wendy !

o
Seed therapy

Hi everyone ! Are you ready for Thanksgiving yet ? Its only 11 days away !!

I've really been enjoying the fall sunshine while collecting seeds in the yard , spending hours going thru my seeds and packing them up. Its what I call " seed therapy "

I should have them ready to mail to you very soon Wendy !

o

I saw that I was one of the answers to the question game. We started pruning the apple trees a few weeks ago. Right now we have 6-7 of us pruning full time and we have 8,000 trees total. Now, about 1,000 of those are still just a few yeas old, but thats still a lot of trees.

We had our first snow the other day.

Matthew
Indiana.Matt

Here is a link that might be useful: The Apple Works Orchard

o

Wendy, I am so sorry, I got completely swamped and forgot about this swap. I would like to join in on the next 1 though.
Thanks, Linda

o

You know you spend way too much time on facebook when you try to 'like' someone's post on here..lol! I was trying to like yours Matthew! I've never been to an apple orchard, can you believe it!?! We keep trying to plan a trip during apple picking time but they're so cheap here locally at the farmer's stands it's just not worth the gas money to drive up to an orchard. One of these days I'm just gonna do it anyway!

Aww Linda, I'm so sorry to see you go! You do know you have til the 30th to send in now?

I received a few more packages on Saturday. I am going to have to do prizes for the biggest, neatest, craziest wish list and so on...I do believe I received the biggest one on Saturday..from Ellie / farmergirl2009! The mailman could barely get it into my mailbox! That must mean good things for all of you! :)

Here's the updated list:

2. lois / Lois ~
3. onedaylily / Margie ~
4. farmergirl2009 / Ellie ~ pkg rec'd
5. roper2008 / Linda ~
9. tlfox / Tiffany ~
11. hibiscusfan / Suzanne ~
14. ktrout / Karrigan ~
17. ibartoo / Linda ~
18. pumkingal / Lisa ~
21. kellyk49 / Kelly ~ pkg rec'd
23. tomerrol / Tom ~
26. flower2 / Mitchell ~ pkg rec'd
29. vajeff / Jeff ~
30. sinbadsmom / Kathy ~
31. lceh / Lynne ~
33. lightning96 / Beth ~
35. Molanic / Morgan ~
36. docmom / Martha ~
37. nan-6161 / Nancy ~
39. drippy / Kim ~
40. rane_grow / Iris ~
41. Gretchensgarden / Gretchen ~
42. daisydawnny / Dawn ~

I hope everyone is having a nice quiet, warm & cozy kind of night!

~Wendy

o

Wendy,

Just wanted to let you know my package will be going in the mail this week.
Yes, you need to go to an orchard. If you can, try to get to one in the spring when the trees are blooming...what a sight.

Thanks,
Matthew
Indiana.Matt

o

I will be mailing mine tomorrow.

Linda

o

Hi Wendy;;
My big envie went out today,, now the waiting and watching the mailman starts,, just love this time of year,, happy gardening to us all,, Lisa

o

Seeds are on the way!

o

I sent my envelope out last week, but I bet Veterans Day slowed it down. It should be arriving any time. I hope everyone is enjoying this swap as much as I am. It's fun to still have gardening stuff to do even when the weather is getting cold.

Martha

o

Hi everyone!

I have received several more packages this week. I will put an updated list up late this evening. I'm currently doing the crazy house clean up for company that is coming over on Sunday for our own Thanksgiving dinner. Today the oven caught fire... so I'm trying to find repair people to come out and fix it so I can get the pies baked. Also going to be cleaning the carpets tonight and tomorrow. Crazy busy me..lol

~Wendy

o

My seeds went out in the mail on Thursday! Getting pretty excited!

o

Sat, Nov 19, 11 at 17:21

I mailed my seeds this weekend.

o

Hello everyone!

Well, I made it thru the craziness of pre-Thanksgiving dinner at our house this weekend. My house was full, bellies were full .... and my sink is STILL full..lol At least on actual Thanksgiving someone else is doing most of the cooking at the party for the other side of the family!

Here's our update of packages received:

Here's the updated list:

2. lois / Lois ~ pkg rec'd
3. onedaylily / Margie ~ pkg rec'd
5. roper2008 / Linda ~ pkg rec'd
9. tlfox / Tiffany ~
11. hibiscusfan / Suzanne ~ pkg rec'd
14. ktrout / Karrigan ~
17. ibartoo / Linda ~
18. pumkingal / Lisa ~ pkg rec'd
23. tomerrol / Tom ~
27. cashclan / Sharon ~
28. shant (?) / Shanti ~
29. vajeff / Jeff ~
30. sinbadsmom / Kathy ~ pkg rec'd
31. lceh / Lynne ~ pkg rec'd
33. lightning96 / Beth ~
35. Molanic / Morgan ~
36. docmom / Martha ~ pkg rec'd
37. nan-6161 / Nancy ~ pkg rec'd
39. drippy / Kim ~ pkg rec'd
40. rane_grow / Iris ~
41. Gretchensgarden / Gretchen ~ pkg rec'd
42. daisydawnny / Dawn ~ pkg rec'd

That's the current update of received packages as of mail delivery to me today. I'll send a reminder to everyone that hasn't left a mssg they are in the mail.

Thanks everyone!

~Wendy

o
**new game**

The latest game challenge will be a simple one as this is a wild and crazy week for everyone that's busy cleaning and cooking or traveling for Thanksgiving. Before you know it we will be stringing the lights and shopping mad sales at all hours of the night and day...

The dates for this challenge will run through Dec. 10th.

The challenge is a simple word find game. A popular one that's been making the rounds on the round robin forum this year.

Email me a list of as many words as you can come up with from the words "Winter Sowing Swap". All words must be at least 3 letters and up. For instance, "Winter" could be one word. "Sow" could be a word, "tan" and so on. (There! I just gave you 3 freebies! :)

The winner will receive a bonus flower package of 10 packs tailored to items on their wish list.

Have fun!

~Wendy

o

My seeds went in the mail today.

o

Yay! Seeds made it safe and sound, I will sleep well, with visions of seeds in my head, lol!

o

Mailed my seeds out today.
Happy thanksgiving everyone

o

Sent my package yesterday.

o

Hi Wendy, hope you had a wonderful Thanksgiving ! I mailed my seeds yesterday ;-)

Iris

o

Hello - It's been crazy here, but my seeds went out this weekend.

Sandy

o

I hope everyone had a nice Thanksgiving week. Kids are back to school tomorrow, much work to be done, Christmas gifts to buy and plans to be made! We even have a CHANCE of snow on Tuesday (won't stick.. but still!)

I received a couple more packages this weekend:
Here's the updated list:

2. lois / Lois ~ pkg rec'd
3. onedaylily / Margie ~ pkg rec'd
5. roper2008 / Linda ~ pkg rec'd
9. tlfox / Tiffany ~
11. hibiscusfan / Suzanne ~ pkg rec'd
14. ktrout / Karrigan ~
17. ibartoo / Linda ~
18. pumkingal / Lisa ~ pkg rec'd
23. tomerrol / Tom ~
27. cashclan / Sharon ~ pkg rec'd
28. shant (?) / Shanti ~
29. vajeff / Jeff ~
30. sinbadsmom / Kathy ~ pkg rec'd
31. lceh / Lynne ~ pkg rec'd
33. lightning96 / Beth ~
34. snapdragon36 / Debbie ~ pkg rec'd
35. Molanic / Morgan ~ pkg rec'd
36. docmom / Martha ~ pkg rec'd
37. nan-6161 / Nancy ~ pkg rec'd
39. drippy / Kim ~ pkg rec'd
40. rane_grow / Iris ~
41. Gretchensgarden / Gretchen ~ pkg rec'd
42. daisydawnny / Dawn ~ pkg rec'd

That's the current update of received packages as of mail delivery to me on Saturday. I'm sure more will be arriving all this coming week!

Now, don't forget about the game I posted last week! So far, only one person has turned words in and they did a GREAT job!! Here's the details for you again:

The latest game challenge will be a simple one as this is a wild and crazy week for everyone that's busy cleaning and cooking or traveling for Thanksgiving. Before you know it we will be stringing the lights and shopping mad sales at all hours of the night and day...
The dates for this challenge will run through Dec. 10th.

The challenge is a simple word find game. A popular one that's been making the rounds on the round robin forum this year.

Email me a list of as many words as you can come up with from the words "Winter Sowing Swap". All words must be at least 3 letters and up. For instance, "Winter" could be one word. "Sow" could be a word, "tan" and so on. (There! I just gave you 3 freebies! :)

The winner will receive a bonus flower package of 10 packs tailored to items on their wish list.

Have fun!

~Wendy

o

Hi Wendy,

My package is all ready to go. I'll be sending it out in the morning.

Matthew
Indiana.Matt

o

• Posted by ktrout z5b NE Kansas (My Page) on
    Wed, Nov 30, 11 at 17:50

My seeds are in the mail! Thanks!

Ktrout

o

Almost time!!!! :) I received a few more packages today and I know several are in transit. I'll start opening the packages by this weekend to begin sorting.

I'll put up an updated list tomorrow after the mail arrives.

Thanks!
~Wendy

o

Hopefully everyone's packages will be here by Wednesday. I'm going to be starting on the sorting in the latter part of the week. From what I've peeked at so far you are all gonna be HAPPY!! :)

~Wendy

o

Hi Wendy !

Are you ready for wintersowing yet ? I am !! I hope you received my package ?

Iris

o

Hi everyone! I will be making my final tally of packages received tomorrow after the mail runs and at that point & time I will let any of you know whose pkg has NOT been received yet and I will go ahead and start the sorting process! I took pics of the mound of envelopes.. I'll share that with you tomorrow :)

o

*****I've opened up a new thread for the Sorting and Sending Home, please use the new thread to leave any new messages for the swap**********

Thanks!
~Wendy

o

So... who's ready for WinterSwap 2012 to begin?!?! :)

It's getting cooler... I've had uncontrollable urges to hoard 2liters and milk jugs and just about any ol' thing that might hold dirt thru the winter. Yep, it's about that time.... :)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Please Note: Only registered members from the U.S. are able to post messages here (this may be indicated by the title of the forum. All exchanges not indicated otherwise are restricted to those living in the U.S.)

If you are a member from an area mentioned above, please log in.

Return to the Winter Sowing Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here