Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
token28001

WANTED: winterswapping 2

token28001
14 years ago

post here when the other thread is full. Thanks.

Comments (126)

• brandymulvaine
    14 years ago

Hi everyone! mailed mine out yesterday-49686.
    Wow dawiff look at those dahlias!! That red is to die for! My screen saver is a photo of Claude Monet's garden and you can see tall(4 ft)red dahlias mixed in with sunflowers.
    {{gwi:338386}}
    This is a close up-from far away it's divine :-)
    -B

• daisydawnny
    14 years ago

Yay! Glad to see my seeds made it! I was beginning to get worried.

• mcbdz
    14 years ago

Finally, my daughter is on the way to the post office dropping off my envelope now. I was afraid I would be late.
    Pattie

• mnwsgal
    14 years ago

Mailed my seeds today.

• Sweet Sakura
    14 years ago

I finally mailed my seeds yesterday. I was waiting for a few to ripen, but eventually gave up and had to supplement with some others.

Now the waiting for the return envie begins. I'm not very good at this part!

~CA

• token28001
    Original Author
    14 years ago

There are some stuffed envelopes in this trade. Ya'll have been busy on the side, haven't you? LOL.

Don't worry sakura. I have 5 days of vacation scheduled the second week of December. I plan to take a couple of those days to do nothing but sort seeds and send out envelopes. You know how hard it is to send all these seeds back, don't you? ;)

• highalttransplant
    14 years ago

Hi Token! Just wanted to let you know my package will probably go out on the last day possible. I found a couple of other things in the garden to send, and I am waiting on them to dry. Everything else is already packaged up and in the bubble envie, so all I have to do is insert the last two packets and drop it in the mail.

Thanks,
    Bonnie

• floodthelast
    14 years ago

Sorry for the long wait. I have my envie all packed up and will hit the post office tomorrow.

On a side note my husband is home from the hospital, my son is over his ear infection and I am feeling much better. Although my dog got hit by a car and is now down to three legs she is also healing well. It's been a busy last four weeks for me.

• sandysgardens
    14 years ago

Glad to see that my seed envy made it after the battle I had at my local PO on Saturday morning. After I asked the worker at the PO how to file a complaint, I wondered if my envy would go out that day; it did and only took a couple days.

Sandy
    (55316)

• slinky_2009
    14 years ago

Hi Token, I will be sending my envy on the last day, too. Things just keep blooming and not spitting out any seeds! I'm not complaining. I plan to send some dogwood seeds (berries). I'm not an expert but will send fresh ones just in case that is what works. I'll send a few dried ones, too.
    Sylvia
    aka slinky_2009

• token28001
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Looks like there's still more to come. I'll give a final tally after Thanksgiving, hopefully they will all have arrived by then.

If you asked me for seeds, please email me. I'm starting to package mine and want to make sure everyone gets what they asked for. Thanks!

Tom

• Sweet Sakura
    14 years ago

Yay, my envie is there!

2nd week of December for sorting, huh? I guess I can wait that long (I'll have to, right?) Fortunately it is a busy time of year, so the weeks should go by quickly. Meanwhile, I'll continue giving certain plants that "Ripen! you slowpoke! I need seeds!" stare that has been quite unsuccessful so far.

~CA

• brandymulvaine
    14 years ago

Yay! mine made it too! I going to have a hard time waiting patiently! I hate it when people end all their sentences with an exclamation point! But I'm so excited! Hehehe!
    -B

• canyonwind
    14 years ago

I have not checked in here for several days...my seeds made it to TOKEN. FUN...FUN...FUN!

Annie

• antiqueorchid
    14 years ago

I see that my seeds have reached you as well:) Relax and take your time. I'm sure it is alot of work but also alot of fun.

Denise

• highalttransplant
    14 years ago

Hey, nothing like cutting it close, but at least I made the deadline. The package went out this afternoon.

Thanks for hosting, Token!

Bonnie

• october17
    14 years ago

Don't envy you with the envies TOKEN. Thanks again for hosting! How about more pics? Can you get one of your mail carrier?

• token28001
    Original Author
    14 years ago

LOL. I'll get a picture tomorrow of all the packages. I need to count them again. A couple that arrived were actually private trades of mine, and I just tossed them into the pile. I owed seeds and forgot all about it. I sent them more than we agreed on. :)

• token28001
    Original Author
    14 years ago

4x040 - can't read the number

59 packets.

{{gwi:338387}}

• paulan70
    14 years ago

WOW that is alot of seed packets to go thru. I hope you can make it to the end. I can't wait to see what everyone sent in. IT is going to be one busy winter with alot of people wintersowing like crazy but the pay off is gonna be HUGE.

Paula

• floodthelast
    14 years ago

Oh oh I see mine in there. Although my zipcode is 44221 not 42221, doesn't matter much since i sent you a return address label. Yay for seeds.

• token28001
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I may have mistyped. I was on 4 cups of coffee and still in my pajamas. I sorted seeds all morning.

• floodthelast
    14 years ago

Wahoo, you go Token. I'm very glad you took on this effort. I hope you are getting some nice things too.

• token28001
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Flood, one of the joys of hosting a swap like this is that I get first choice of all the seeds in those packs. It makes the amount of work seem more tolerable. :)

And for those that send their seeds in ziplocks, I appreciate it. When I really want just a little something, I can take out a few seeds and send the rest on to others. That's how I got my salvia subrotunda. I think they came out of a pack that poisondartfrog sent into the last swap. Someone else got the largest portion. I kept 6 seeds and now have hundreds for myself from the plants I grew.

The only exception are seeds labeled specifically for others. Those are left untouched.

• auntyara
    14 years ago

Thank you Token,
    You really are amazing!
    I could barely pack up 20 different seed. lol.
    I'm so excited to be in this, my 1st seed swap.
    Yahoo!!! Bring on the winter. (did I just say that?)
    :)Laura

• gardencrazy
    14 years ago

I can just picture Token sitting in the floor in his pajamas opening packages of seeds like a boy on Christmas morning. hehe
    And then when he returns them we will be like children on Christmas morning.
    I am so excited about my first swap. Thank you Token for doing all of this. It cant be easy.

• token28001
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I got 2 more yesterday in the mail.

Have you been peeking in my windows gardencrazy? LOL!

• highalttransplant
    14 years ago

Yeah, mine arrived!

When I hosted this type of swap before, it made my brain hurt, LOL! Several people sent in the same kind of seeds, and it was difficult to make sure that no one received the same seeds back that they sent in. Fortunately, some folks sent in extras, which really helped a lot.

I appreciate your hard work, Token!

Bonnie

• token28001
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Bonnie, that's why I asked that everyone put their name on their seed packs. I had the same problem last year with the swap I hosted.

• gardencrazy
    14 years ago

Nice jammies Token! LOL

• auntyara
    14 years ago

Poor Token,
    Your head must be spinning.
    60x20=1200 packets plus all the extras. OMG should we all send aspirin?
    Good luck!!! YOU CAN DO IT!!!( I know I couldn't)
    :)Laura

• token28001
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Two arrived yesterday.

I have a system. When I remove the seeds from the packs, they get sorted by name. Sometimes I use common names, sometimes botanical names. I know both in many cases and just stick them in that folder in my filing box. Private trades will get put into another pile. I'm hoping everyone has their GW name in or on their seed packets. I'll write this on the back of the envelope when I remove the seeds. Private trades go back into the envelope and I'll start pulling wishlists based on when they arrived. First to arrive gets first choice. Last to arrive gets last choice. It seems a fair way to do it. Everyone gets at least 2 packs from their wish list in the first pass. Then I'll try to match more wish lists and seeds in the second go round. After that, I just pull packs of seeds from the filing folders and count to 20 including the first two passes. Extras get counted and sorted into other piles and they'll get tossed in the envelopes as I seal them and apply postage/address labels. It helps to be systematic this way. It worked well last year.

• floodthelast
    14 years ago

Sounds like a good system token. I did a lot of trading last year and had so many seeds I couldn't keep them straight. I went to envelopes after that and lists and printing out emails.
    I was amazed at all the etiquette involved in seed trading. I hope I've learned enough now. At least to always put my GW name on the seeds and copy the ppl I liked trading with the best. This one is particularly exciting because so many wonderful ppl are in it and I have a lot of side trades going on. I did try to make that bit easier with separate ziplocs and labeling.
    I'm sure you are doing a great job, hope we don't stress you over the holiday weekend and all.

• token28001
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Just so everyone knows...I'm still waiting on the last of the packages to arrive. I've got 6 days off from work next week and will sort, send, and expect adulation* all around as they start to arrive. Everyone should have their packages back in time to research and do some heavy solstice sowing. There are some heavy packages in my possession. I still haven't opened but a couple. I'm curious as to what some of you sent.

*Adulation not required.

• paulan70
    14 years ago

Ok am I the only one who is getting excited just thinking about the seeds arrived. Sorry (well not TOO sorry) to admit that I am addicted to seeds...

Paula

• conniesc
    14 years ago

No you are not the only one :)

this will be my first year attempting to wintersow. I am really excited to get started. I have everyone at work helping me out to gather pop bottles and milk jugs. Yesterday someone dropped off 200+ bottles for me :) Now I just need to get them cleaned and prepared.

• brandymulvaine
    14 years ago

Oh, I can't stand it!
    arewethereyet? arewethereyet? arewethereyet?
    btw Thanks Token!!
    -B

• token28001
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I'll be sealing up the packages tomorrow. Need to get the private trades and all the extra packs of seeds inserted into packages, then stamped, and labeled. Almost there. Almost.

• canyonwind
    14 years ago

TOKEN...I am a patient soul!!!!! LOL!!! Thanks for all your work on this...and Merry Christmas!!!

Annie

• Frances Coffill
    14 years ago

Woot!!!!!

The seeds are HERE!!!! Haven't had a chance to go through the packet yet, but there are just TONS of seeds in there!!! Thanks you all so much for such a lovely selection!

And thank you Token for all of your efforts! (and the Postage fairy gets a big KISS too) ha ha ha!

Great selection, can't wait to start sowing!

Frances

• token28001
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Frances, if they didn't bother to cancel the stamps, I didn't bother to use the included ones. I figure with all these seeds, you'll want to trade for others. Some seed packs were heavy!

Glad they've arrived. If after 2 weeks someone still doesn't have a package, please let me know. I saved some seeds for that very issue. Thanks!

Oh, and you think your package has a lot of seeds? I had all of them in a file cabinet drawer at one point. It was full to the top.

• barefootgardner12
    14 years ago

I received my seeds on Saturday. Thank you token. I love them all!

• ramazz
    14 years ago

I received my seeds on Friday. Thanks, token, for your hard work and the great selection.

Becky/ramazz

• ruthz
    14 years ago

I received a great selection of seeds in my packet Friday.
    Thank you Token for the hard work and the extra seeds.
    A special thanks also to proudgm_03 for sending seeds for me. That was a very nice surprise.

• paulan70
    14 years ago

Wow I received my seeds today as well. Thank you for the well done sort Tom. I really appreciate you doing this swap. And I am loving my seed selection.

And StLGirl. I emailed you back.

Thanks for the great selectioon of seeds that everyone sent in.

Paula

• poisondartfrog
    14 years ago

I received mine on Saturday. Thanks to all!
    Alana

• ktinmd
    14 years ago

Token, a belated and very hearty thanks to you for organizing this amazing swap. And equal thanks to everyone who contributed seeds. I finally had a chance yesterday to organize the varieties I received into a text file and I realized that I need many more jugs. It's a good thing my boys drink so much milk:)

Happy sowing to all!

kt

• proudgm_03
    14 years ago

I received my seeds today. Thanks for hosting!
    Becky

• austinnhanasmom
    14 years ago

THANKS Token and all!!

I am pumped to begin WSing soon -

Great swap - (HUGS)

Deb (austinnhanasmom)

• jessied
    14 years ago

Thanks everyone for swapping with me, I am so excited to start my first attempt at winter sowing! Good luck to you all with yours!
    Jess

Sponsored
Hoppy Design & Build
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Northern VA Award-Winning Deck ,Patio, & Landscape Design Build Firm