Return to the Winter Sowing Forum

o
wanted: wanted: ~*~welcome to winterswap 2012~*~

Posted by sassybutterfly_2008 7 NorthWest GA (My Page) on
Fri, Nov 2, 12 at 7:07

Welcome! Welcome to WinterSwap 2012 !!

Let's get the basics out of the way so we can get to the seeds!

The rules are long and detailed in order to avoid any confusion for our newbies. For the seasoned veterans you can scan for the basics and feel free to post if you have any questions or suggestions.

Rule#1 ~ Have FUN with this swap!!

Rule#2 ~ Post here if you wish to join. Tell us your name and how long you have been wintersowing. Then send me an email (found on my GW member page) with 'WinterSwap' in the subject line. Send me your gardenweb ID, your name and mailing address. I will respond with a copy of the rules and my mailing address. Please post here if you do not receive an email from me and I will do the same if I have not received one from you.

Rule#3 ~ Sign-ups will be allowed until November 20th. Packages MUST be mailed to me no later than November 27th. I will have the packages back in the mail to you for arrival by December 22nd, this year's Winter Solstice.

Rule#4 ~ Please update your Gardenweb trade pages. Update those wish lists and your seeds available for trade. *IF* you wish people to contact you for side trades, please say that in your post here.

Rule#5 ~ Please mail your packets in a bubble mailer no smaller than 6x9. Please include a mailing label with your return address on it. Please include a minimum of 6-8 stamps for the return trip. If you request a delivery confirmation on your return package, please include an additional 2 stamps and a note stating you want one. You will most likely be receiving more back than what you submit, especially if you have side swaps. Please keep that additional weight in mind and include even more stamps if you feel it is necessary. Any postage left will be returned to you.

Rule#6 ~ Seed varieties should be limited to flowers, bushes/shrubbery (azaleas, spirea, beauty berry, etc.) or fruit bearing trees and plants. As far as edibles go, let's stick to fruit seeds and tomatoes as those seem to do the best with the winter sowing technique and the tomatoes seemed to be a crowd favorite last year.

Rule#7 ~ You may send in up to 40 packets of flowers, bushes/shrubbery, and/or fruit seeds. You may also send in up to 10 packs of tomato seeds. To clarify, send in UP TO 40 packs of flower/bush/fruit seeds and UP TO 10 packs of tomato seeds for a TOTAL MAXIMUM amount of 50 packs of seed per player.

Rule#8 ~ Please send in no more than 3 packs of seed per named variety. To clarify - you may send in 3 packs of 'Crazy' Daisy or if you have 3 DIFFERENT types of daisies in your stash, you may send in 3 packs PER variety. NO 'Unknown' Mixes are allowed. Please do not send in packs labeled 'Cleome Mix' or 'Morning Glory Mix' or 'Wildflower Mix'. Let's try to WOW each other at least a little bit with our contributions. If YOU would be pleased to receive it, chances are someone else will be too. This is not a clean-your-seed-box-out kind of swap.. (there will be an opportunity for that below). It's meant to be a means to swap some great varieties of all sorts so that we can all share our gardens with one another.

Rule#9 ~ Your packets should include the following information: (and if they don't, I will send you back 50 packs of Black Eyed Susan seeds. ) (JUST KIDDING!!!..but I do have a LOT to share..lol !!)
You packets should include:
--Your Gardenweb ID (if you don't mind!)Might be helpful to those of us that might want to contact a seed trader for more information on the particular plant.
--Seed Variety name. Botanical name too if you happen to know it. Any known info re: height, shade or p/shade or full sun. Color of flower might be nice.
--YEAR seed was harvested. No seeds older than 2011 please!
--One of the following three codes:
--(C) for Commercial Seed
--(T) for seed obtained by Trade
--(G) for seed grown in your own Garden

Rule#10 ~ Please send in a 'SENT' list with all the varieties listed that you have sent in for the swap. This will also help me to keep from returning your own seed back to you.

Rule#11 ~ Please also send in a 'WISH' list of up to 20 items and up to 10 specific tomato varieties that you want the MOST. Please be specific. If you want only blue flowers.. please state that. If you want only vines.. state that. If you want shade only plants.. state that. But please understand that I can only fill your wishes from the variety of seeds that are sent in for the swap. If no one sends in a specific variety, you may not receive it. So give me a broad list from which to grant your wishes. I will use this to try to fill some of your ultimate wishes and I will also be using your regular wish list on your GW page. If you do not wish to receive tomatoes in your package, PLEASE note this on your wish list page!

Rule#12 ~ 'Side swaps' are allowed and even encouraged. BE SURE to check one another's posts on here to BE SURE it is ok to contact someone directly regarding a trade. If a player has not stated that they are ok to be contacted for trades PLEASE do not contact them without at least posting a question here on the swap thread first. ALL side swaps should be packaged in a baggie plainly marked with the recipient's Gardenweb ID on the outside of the baggie. Any side swap baggies will be put directly into the receiver's mailer. I will not be opening any of the side swap baggies. I am just acting as the mailer for you. :) I will leave it up to each of you to keep up with your own side swap trades as I will not be monitoring that process.

Rule#13 ~ 'Gifts' and 'Extras'. Here is where you will have an opportunity to clean out that seed box. You are welcome to go thru everyone's individual wish lists and 'gift' seeds to an individual person. I'm sure we would all be thrilled to have those 'gifts', but I am not making it a mandatory requirement. Again, any 'gifted' seeds should be put into a baggie with the recipient's gardenweb ID marked plainly on the front of it. If you do not have the time or the desire to go that route you are welcome to put any 'Extras' you have into a larger baggie and just mark it plainly on the outside as 'Extras'. **If you send in a huge baggie of thousands of, let's say.. Bread Seed Poppy seeds, please also send some empty individual packets that I can use to break down the large amounts into swap size packets. I don't mind doing the extra work of breaking down the larger quantities but I really can't afford to buy hundreds of extra baggies to carry out that process.** Any 'Extras' will be used to supplement the newbie envelopes, some will be offered up as a 'last call' before I mail out, and many will be sent to the newbies via a thread request or possibly even the Newbie Project that bakemom so graciously hosts and/or to Trudi's Wintersown.org to share with future new winter sowers.

**DISCLAIMER** Please know that I will do all I humanly can to fill as many of your wishes both on your 'wish' list and your regular gardenweb page. BUT this all depends on YOU, the participants and the types of seeds that you send in. The more common seeds and 'fillers' are definitely a necessary need in our gardens but let's try to really please each other and send in some crowd favorites as well. And newbies, don't be overwhelmed. If you only have 10 to 15 types of seed to send in, go for it! I can personally guarantee you will receive more packs than you sent in just for your participation!

Everyone will receive no less than the amount of seed packets mailed in and, most likely, many more!

Again, if you have questions, please post here or put them in your emails to me. I will be responding to emails every night.

Now, let's start digging in those seed boxes and harvesting those seeds from our gardens and let's have some FUN!

~Wendy / Sassyb. / AKA your personal WS seed enabler! :)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: wanted: wanted: ~*~welcome to winterswap 2012~*~

I'm first? I just clicked over here to see if there was any sign of this swap yet and there it was.
Sign me up please. I've been winter sowing, or something like it, for too many years to count.
Alana

o

I'm in - looking forward to another awesome swap! This will be my fourth year wintersowing. Thanks for hosting, Wendy!
Margie

o

• Posted by lois PA Zone 6 (My Page) on
    Sat, Nov 3, 12 at 20:02

I'm in! Some of the seeds I will contribute are cardinal flower, zarahra pink zinnia, anastazia orientpet lily, and hardy begonia. I will have to go look at my stash again to remember what else I have.

o

Sat, Nov 3, 12 at 20:15

Oops, forgot to add, my name is Lois and I've been wintersowing for 4 years. I am ok with side trades if anyone wants to. Thank you, Wendy, for hosting this.

o

• Posted by edie_h 5bNY (Finger Lakes) (My Page) on
    Sun, Nov 4, 12 at 19:23

Please add me to the swap. I've been wintersowing for 3 years. Open to side trades.

Edie

o

Welcome, Welcome Alana/Poisondartfrog, Margie/Onedaylily, Lois/Lois and Edie/Edie_h !!!

So happy you are all joining up! :)

I'm going to wait til we have about 10 people and then send out a mass email with mailing info and such.

Thanks again for joining, I'm looking forward to another awesome swap!
~Sassyb.

o

I'm ready...put me down!

Indiana.Matt
Matthew

o

I would like to participate. Thank you for hosting! taterbug

o

Welcome back Matthew/Indiana.Matt! Welcome taterbug! (love your name!! lol) Tell us a lil about yourself taterbug. :)

~Sassyb.

o

I would love to be added in for the swap. I have never wintersowed yet but plan to start this winter. My name is lisa

o

Please count me in again this year! I've been wintersowing for about 6 years I guess.

I see there is a max # of pkts we can send. But, I didn't see any minimum stated. Did I miss that, or is there no minimum (# of packets or varieties)? I am a bit limited so far on what I have collected. Not sure what I may purchase before the 27th.

Thank you for hosting again Sassy!

o

Welcome Lisa/lysa39 !! You are going to love it and I'm sure between this swap and all the wonderful winter sowers' advice on the winter sowing forum - you will be addicted for life! :)

Welcome back Ellie/October17 ! No, there is no minimum requirements. You can send in only 1 packet if that's all you have - but you know me, you'll definitely have lots more coming back to you!! :)

~Sassyb.

o

I would love to join in the fun. Last Winter was the first for me to Winter-sow and I was delighted this Summer to see all the lovely assortment of flowers. I am starting to collect containers already.

o

Thank you for the welcome. I have been part of this community for 7 years. We moved during those years so there are 2 homes that have GW plants.

My maiden name is Tate. When I was in middle school some friends called me taterbug.

happy gardening!

o

Thank you for doing this Sassy! Please sign me up. I'm a newbie to GW and to gardening and I LOVE IT!!! I'm alittle confused about all this( newbie nerves I guess) but excited! I have a few seeds to share,time to go through them and make a wish list :) Thanks again,the folks on GW are the Best!!!

o

Please sign me up.My name is Velvet.I have been wintersowing for about 5 or 6 years now.I am a seed-a-holic.lol

velsgarden
Velvet

o

I meant to add I will be posting my list and will do side trades.

Happy Gardening!

o

Please add me to the list. I've been wintersowing for more years than I can keep track of. I've moved to a mostly shaded yard, so I'm revamping my gardening style. Happy gardening to all.

Martha

o

I'm a newbie, but I read the FAQ. I have suitable containers & soil. So add me to the list

I'll do side trades, also. http://www.gardenweb.com/members/exch/railroadrabbit

Here is a link that might be useful: For My Trade Lists Click Here

o

I would like to join. This is my second year winter sowing. Since the entire town already thinks I had a mental breakdown as I put more and more plastic containers in front of my house and then walked around talking to them...I'm going to do it again. I didn't have much success. I had 3 plants survive, but that was a major newbie mistake. If at first you don't succeed...
I'm open to side trades, too.
I love the interesting names people have!
Heidi

o

I forget to say iam up for trades. I dont have much because iam a born again newbie. Since I lost everything while I was sick for the last 5 years
But I am some what better now.
thanks Lisa
Iam updating my list today

o

I forget to say iam up for trades. I dont have much because iam a born again newbie. Since I lost everything while I was sick for the last 5 years
But I am some what better now.
thanks Lisa
Iam updating my list today

o

Sign me up please. I've been wintersowing since 2008. Lately I've been starting mostly plants to attract wildlife of all kinds and trying to increase my number of native plants. I have also been raising butterflies and moths on my wintersown plants and am always looking for new host plants to try.

I am open to side trades and my lists are up to date, for now at least :)

-Morgan aka Molanic

o

I'm so excited to see so many new swappers and so many from last year's swap! Welcome!!

I'll start sending out info this week to everyone including mailing address, etc. I have a family member in the hospital so that has preoccupied my time the past week but hopefully they will be released by this weekend. *fingers crossed*

Please make sure you have a valid email address on your GW page and be sure to update those lists on your trade page as well! :) Last year was fantastic and many, many wishes were granted. Don't miss out!

I have received emails from most of you with your mailing info, if you haven't done so, please email me with that info so I can start this year's spreadsheet! :)

Hugs to all,
~Sassyb.

o

I would love to join the winter swap. I have been winter sowing for 2 years but with marginal success. I need to read more on what can be sown outside in the winter. I will also do side trades. sending you my info.

Ellie

o

Lois,I sent you an email.Thanks

o

Lois,I sent you an email.Thanks

o

Wendy, I have still not received an email with the address to send the seeds to. I have sent 2 emails to your gardenweb page. Did you get them?

o

Wendy, I have still not received an email with the address to send the seeds to. I have sent 2 emails to your gardenweb page. Did you get them?

o

As a few of you know, we've been dealing with a medical related family emergency the past couple of weeks.

I'll now be much more present and accounted for here from now on as that issue was dealt with yesterday! I will be updating everyone this afternoon and sending out the emails with mailing addresses.

Has everyone updated those wish lists yet? :)

Welcome Ellie/farmergirl2009!!

Thanks for your patience everyone! :)

Sassyb.

o

I didn't say, but I am open to side trades. I'll try to take some time to review some of your trade lists and I'll gift anything I think you might like. It's fun to receive surprises, I think.

Martha

o

Sassy - hope everything is ok now. If you feel maybe you can't host, we will understand. I don't care when I receive my seeds - not a solstice sower - just a whenever sower here.

I wonder if someone might tell me how to update my list. I can't remember how to get there! I only have a few things that I collected myself but I do have some commercial stuff I never planted this year.

o

Thanks everyone! And I'm thrilled to be hosting again this year. Our family member is home and happy and we're celebrating that very fact today. <3 I'll be here later this evening sending out updates and all the mailing info everyone needs. :))

Sassyb

o

Hi October - you can update your list by scrolling to the green band at the very bottom of the page. Select 'Member Pages' and then 'Update Exchange List'. Margie

o

Good Morning everyone!

Here is our updated member listing so far. If there is anything by your name, I am still needing some information or an answer to the open to trades/tomatoes question. :)

Poisondartfrog/Alana - open to trades? interested in tomatoes?

Daisydawnny - need email with mailing address, open to trades? interested in tomatoes?

Onedaylily/Margie ~ open to trades? interested in tomatoes?

Lois/Lois ~ open to trades? interested in tomatoes?

Edie_H/Edie ~ open to trades? interested in tomatoes?

Taterbug/Elisabeth ~ open to trades? interested in tomatoes?

Lysa39/Lisa ~ need email with mailing addr, interested in tomatoes?

October17/Ellie ~ open to trades? interested in tomatoes?

nana8/Marge ~ open to trades? interested in tomatoes?

socalgardengal/Christine ~ open to trades? interested in tomatoes?

velsgarden/Velvet ~ interested in tomatoes?

docmom/Martha ~ interested in tomatoes?

Farmergirl2009/Ellie ~ you're all set! :)

Molanic/Morgan ~ interested in tomatoes?

Xiangirl/Heidi ~ need email with mailing info, open to trades? interested in tomatoes?

We have 16 participants so far this year. Last year we had 42! I'm going to try to rally the participants on numerous GW pages and if you would like to join in and encourage others, by all means please do so! :) The more participants, the more seeds to swap!!

I am going to extend the DUE BY date to December 3rd to allow any new members to join up and have plenty of time to go through your seed stash and not be rushed through the Thanksgiving holidays. I want you all to be able to spend time with your family and feast!

I am sending out the official welcome and rules email along with my mailing address right now. Please let me know if you do not receive it.

Start digging in those boxes! :)

~Wendy / Sassyb.

o

Sun, Nov 18, 12 at 8:53

Hi there....

To answer the questions next to my name:

- Yes, I am open to side trades.

- Yes, I am interested in tomatoes but not cherry tomatoes. I am especially interested in the variety "Tennesee Britches" (because hubby loves Tennessee). Ok, that might be more info than you were really looking for, LOL.

Thanks,

Lois

o

Completing your info for me. I do not want tomatoes. I don't have enough sunshine, boo hoo.

o

Sending you an email!
Just some info for other members:
daisydawnny, This will be my 5th year winter-sowing.
I have nothing to trade, I lost my garden to a tornado this summer and could not harvest seed,
I do have commercial seed to swap.
Looking forward to the swap.
Tomatoes are always good!

o

Hey Wendy,I am interested in tomatoes except cherry.

o

Saw my name on needed info.. I love any tomatoes and I am open to side trades though I am very new to gardening and don't have much to trade. I will update my list soon. Oh yeah, this is my first time winter sowing, my first year growing anything. Soooo excited!!!

o

Hi All - I'm open to side trades. Not interested in tomatoes. Thanks! Margie

o

Hello, my name is Connie and I am a new gardener. I have never done winter sowing, but after reading about it would love to try it here in cold Indiana.
I do raised beds in my backyard so I don't have room for crazy big plants.

I don't have many seeds, and of the ones I have I haven't figured out which ones are good for winter sowing. But I will try.

Anything anyone would like to send me to help me start trying winter sowing would be greatly appreciated. I have a book on how to save seeds so maybe I will have lots to share next year.

o

hello
I'm getting in under the wire here.
I would like to join
thanks
michelle

o

Wow. I almost missed this one! Sign me up.

Hello, everyone. I'm Jeff (this feels like group therapy or something) and this will be my second year of doing some serious winter sowing. Can't wait!

Jeff

o

I would love to participate! Thanks for the email Wendy. This is my second year WSing and I have been seed saving like crazy. I am up for tomatos and side swaps.

Tracey :-)

o

Wendy, I am not interested in tomato seeds, but trades would be great. Thanks, Marge

o

I would like to play, Wendy, so count me in - but I am a bit strapped for time, and due to participation in a couple of swaps where I have to check specific lists (which takes a lot of time, as those of you who have played swaps before know), I won't be able to check specific lists here, nor will I be able to do side trades at this time.

Sending you an email!

o

• Posted by ktrout z6a, NE Kansas (My Page) on
    Mon, Nov 19, 12 at 11:39

I'm in! I started winter sowing last year, and I'm open to side trades. Most anything perennial is high on my list. Thanks!

o

I've heard from so many of last year's participants, I'm so glad you all are joining up!

I'll send out more emails this evening to the latest people that joined with the mailing address, etc.

Now, for our first game... I figured since this week is Thanksgiving week and probably many of our group will be out of town or otherwise busy.. I'll just make this super simple. Since I have been incredibly busy getting my grocery list made up, planning the side dishes and the pies, oh, the pies...mmmmmmm :) I thought it might be nice if each of us shared up to 3 of our favorite Thanksgiving dishes or even a recipe for something new you're trying this year. Everyone who participates will get 2 packs of perennial seed suitable to your zone. (up to 3 recipe submittals) Easy peasy, right?

I'll go first...

Chicken Sausage and Herb Stuffing

Ingredients:

14 oz French bread, crusts removed (weight after crust is removed)
2 tbsp butter
1 1/2 cups diced yellow onion
1 3/4 cups (about 4 stalks) diced celery
12 oz fresh Italian chicken sausage
1/4 cup chopped fresh sage
1 tbsp chopped fresh thyme
3 1/4 cups low sodium chicken broth
salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
cooking spray

Directions:

Cut the bread into 1/2-inch cubes. Spread the bread out on a baking sheet and let it dry overnight - OR - place the baking sheet in a 350F oven and bake about 20 minutes, or until the bread is dried out. Set aside.

Preheat oven to 375F.

In a large saute' pan, melt the butter over medium heat. Add the onion and celery and saute', stirring occasionally, until tender and translucent, about 8 minutes. Transfer to a large bowl.

In the same pan over medium heat, cook the sausage, crumbling with a wooden spoon, until lightly browned and cooked through, about 10 minutes. Transfer the sausage to the bowl with the onion/celery mixture.

Spray an oven proof baking dish with cooking spray (I use my misto)

Add the bread, sage and thyme to the bowl with the sausage/onion mixture and stir to combine. Add the chicken broth and stir to evenly coat the bread. Adjust salt and pepper to taste and stir to mix well.

Transfer to the baking dish and bake for 30 minutes. Using a wooden spoon, gently stir. Continue baking until golden, about 35 minutes more. Serve immediately.

Makes about 9 cups.

Sooooo gooooooood!! :)

Now, who's next?

o

Okay, sign me up. Time is going by way too fast. This is one of
my favorite swaps. Almost missed it.

Linda

o

I think this looks really good, I did a roasted brussel sprout recipe last thanksgiving but may try this one this year

Brussels sprouts with balsamic reduction recipe

Serves 4 as a side

Ingredients:

1 pound Brussels sprouts, trimmed (but save the stray leaves!)
1/2 cup balsamic vinegar
Pinch raw sugar
2 tablespoons canola oil
Salt and pepper to taste
Directions:

Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Parboil Brussels sprouts about two minutes. Transfer to an ice bath to stop cooking. Once cool, halve them lengthwise and let them dry on paper towels.
While Brussels sprouts are drying, bring the vinegar and sugar to a boil in a small saucepan over medium-high heat. Whisk constantly until reduced by half. Transfer to large mixing bowl.
Heat a large skillet over high heat and add halved Brussels sprouts into the pan cut side down. Let them cook until brown and caramelized (now is a good time to throw in those stray Brussels sprouts leaves). Flip and continue cooking for another two minutes. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
Transfer Brussels sprouts to the bowl with balsamic reduction and toss. Using tongs, pull sprouts from bowl, discarding excess balsamic.

o

If I'm not too late, I'd love to join - otherwise will pay more attention next year. I've been wintersowing since 2007 and my name is Karen.

o

I have to work thanksgiving - a double shift. And for the next four days after the holiday too. But, next week I plan to cook a turkey with White Castle stuffing. Anyone ever tried it? I can't wait!

I really don't have enough for side trades this year. Besides, I can't remember how to get in there to update my trade list! (Can anyone help me?) I am interested in cherry, beefsteak-type, and early tomato varieties.

o

I have to work thanksgiving - a double shift. And for the next four days after the holiday too. But, next week I plan to cook a turkey with White Castle stuffing. Anyone ever tried it? I can't wait!

I really don't have enough for side trades this year. Besides, I can't remember how to get in there to update my trade list! (Can anyone help me?) I am interested in cherry, beefsteak-type, and early tomato varieties.

o

Hi, I'm Natalie in Indiana. I'm new to winter sowing and the whole concept blows my mind. I'm anxious to try it this boring winter. I'm open to almost any seeds, plants, and tomatoes. I'd especially like red perrenials. I'm new to saving seeds also, but will share what I have saved this fall. I'm learning a lot on this forum!

o

Hello all,

I am a newbie from Ann Arbor, Michigan. Been so busy
collecting milk containers that I forgot to sign up.
If it is not too late than please include me.

I am looking for any annuals, I love fragrance
and I love hot colors : oranges and reds are my favorite
but I also love white in the garden.
I am excited to try out WS ing so thanks for this wonderful site.

Usha

o

I checked the people list and I think you may be missing one (railroadrabbit), unless they dropped out? I have 28 as of this post in my list of people in this swap. Although I also have a count of 28 people so far for the WLOMWL swap too :) Coincidence, or evidence I shouldn't be working on my lists after midnight? :)

There is some overlap in the people for this swap and the WLOMWL swap, so this year I plan to save any potential gifts for those people for that swap instead. Last year I didn't keep track of what I gifted in this swap and may have sent the same seed to people again in the WLOMWL swap since it was after this one.

Also I didn't have my tomato info in my e-mail, but I do want tomatoes. Unfortunately I think I only have one kind to send in though. I just sent most of my extras to Bakemom's newbie project.

I do have a good recipe, but will have to see if I can find an electronic version somewhere that I can link to or copy & paste. I'm too lazy to type it all in.

-Molanic

o

Found the recipe online, it was from the local newspaper. We used to always make a pumpkin pie and apple pie with crumb topping. Some of the family does not really like the texture of pumpkin pies, so one year we tried these pumpkin bars instead and they are now a must have. My nephews (4 and 6) keep asking for them all year round and asked for it instead of a birthday cake. The bars have a cinnamon graham cracker bottom layer, a pumpkin spice cake layer, and then a cream cheese frosting. It makes a big 13x9 pan and keeps better/neater than pies for leftovers. It is a bit too rich for regular consumption, but perfect for Thanksgiving :) Below is the link to the recipe. Happy Thanksgiving!

Here is a link that might be useful: Pumpkin Spice Party Bars

o

BFF Salad
BFF can be Best Friend Forever OR Butterfinger Fruit!

2 c. green grapes, halved
2 c. red grapes, halved
2 c. strawberries, cut into bite-sized
1 reg. sized container Cool Whip
1 reg. sized Butterfinger candy bar, crushed

Wash and cut fruit. Mix in a bowl. Open up Cool Whip container and sprinkle in 3/4 of the crushed candy bar. Mix. Pour on top of fruit and mix. Sprinkle remaining Butterfinger on top of salad and chill. Serve.

o

Hello - count me in :)

o

When you have guests for a long weekend it's nice to have something special around for breakfast, coffee, etc. This coffee cake is the hands down favorite for my family.
Margie

Here is a link that might be useful: Sour Cream Streusel Coffee Cake

o

For all you cranberry lovers out there, my very favorite turkey day dessert! Please try it, you'll LOVE it!!!

Cranberry Salad

1/2 lb ground cranberries (fresh or frozen) I use a blender for this

1/4 lb mini marshmellows

1 cup sugar

1 cup cool whip

1 small can of crushed pineapple(drained)

In large bowl mix cranberries & marshmellows together. Let it set for 15 mins. or so.
Add sugar & drained pineapple to mixture.
Fold in coolwhip & refrigerate overnight.
Then wake up early before everyone else and eat the whole bowl!!! LOL

o

My favorite side dish is my mom's Cranberry Salad. It's just not Thanksgiving without it. I think I could eat it every day!

"Anna Jo's Cranberry Salad"

1. Mix 2 3oz boxes of cherry jello with 2 cups of hot water. Mix well in a large (4qt) bowl and set aside to cool a bit.
2. Chop 1 12oz package of fresh cranberries in a food processor.
3. Add 1/3 cup of sugar to the chopped cranberries and mix well.
4. Add the chopped cranberries/sugar to the jello and mix.
5. Then add:
2 small cans or one large can of mandarin oranges (drained and cut in half),
20oz crushed pineapple with juice,
2-3 pealed and chopped apples (use any apple you like to eat, Fuji or Gala are nice apples),
1 cup chopped celery,
2/3 cup chopped pecans.
6. Mix well and refrigerate for a few hours or overnight.

Enjoy!

o

Your cranberry salads remind me of a recipe I use to make
called Ambrosia salad. I remember it had mandarin orange,
walnuts, marichino cherries, pineapple, grapes, I think coconut flakes,
cool whip...Something like that, I would have to look it up. It
was very good.

o

Your cranberry salads remind me of a recipe I use to make
called Ambrosia salad. I remember it had mandarin orange,
walnuts, marichino cherries, pineapple, grapes, I think coconut flakes,
cool whip...Something like that, I would have to look it up. It
was very good.

o

Those receipes sound really good. If I hadn't already made our old time favorite, I would try one of them. I guess Christmas is coming up so will then. Here is my cranberry dish.

Whole Berry Cranberry Orange Sauce

1 pkg (12 oz) frozen/fresh cranberries
1 large orange
1/2 C water
1 C sugar

Bring water and sugar to a boil in a medium saucepan. Add chopped orange and cranberries. Return to a boil. Reduce heat and boil gently for 10 min. stirring occasionally. Pour sauce into a bowl, cover and cool completely at room temperature. Refrigerate until serving. Makes about 2 1/2 cups.

Everyone have a wonderful Thanksgiving...we all have something to be thankful for.

Ellie

o

See the link below for Deep South Potato Salad, which is similar to what Mom made. We increase the

yellow mustard to two (2) TABLEspoons
sweet pickles to 1 cup (8 oz.)

I buy sweet salad cubes on the pickle aisle because they are already chopped. (I add the pickle juice, too.) Mom always used bread and butter pickles, though.

The 7 medium potatoes will weigh about two and a half pounds, so half a 5 lb. bag is easier to reference than guessing if I have the correct size potatoes. I usually double the recipe and use a 5 lb. bag.

We also peel and cube the potatoes before boiling because they get tender in less time.

Click link below. There is a link near the bottom of the page to print the recipe.

Here is a link that might be useful: Southern Style Potato Salad

o

Happy Thanksgiving Everyone!!

o

Wendy,

I mailed my seeds this morning! This is my very first exchange. I am doing another right now but I had this one put together first. I was sitting outside before it turned cold talking to my husband all about winter sowing. I have my brother saving milk jugs for me. I am really looking forward to learning how to do this.

Connie

o

Those recipes sounded wonderful! I'm definitely going to try one of the cranberry ones for Christmas dinner. Thanks so much for sharing!

Hope everyone had a wonderful Thanksgiving full of food, family & fun! We had one dinner yesterday and I'm hosting another on Saturday for the other side of the family. :)

Everyone should have received my email with mailing info and rules by now. If you have not, please let me know. I have already received one package from Alana/Poisondartfrog! :)

Here's my list of participants thus far:

poisondartfrog
daisydawnny
onedaylily
Lois
Edie_H
taterbug
lysa39
October17
nana8
socalgardengal
velsgarden
docmom
farmergirl2009
Molanic
Xiangirl
sinbadsmom
chefconnie
Micyrey
VaJeff
Traceyokc
Drippy
Ktrout
gardenunusual2
roper2008
primrose1x3
peaches0104
Indiananatalie
usha_srinivasan
railroadrabbit

This brings us up to 29 participants. There's still time to sign up and mail! We're happy to have as many as possible!

Wendy / Sassyb.

o

Please add me to the list!

Thanks,
Indiana.Matt
Matthew

o

I'm going to try and start packing up my seeds this weekend. Thought I would post my link list for anyone else that may be looking at want lists for gifting seeds. I had missed sinbadsmom and peaches0104. With Indiana.Matt and our host sassybutterfly_2008, I think it is 31 people now??

chefconnie
daisydawnny
docmom
drippy
edie_h
farmergirl2009
gardenunusual2
Indiana.Matt
IndianaNatalie
ktrout
lois
lysa39
micyrey
molanic
nana8
october17
onedaylily
peaches0104
poisondartfrog
primrose1x3
railroadrabbit
roper2008
sassybutterfly_2008
sinbadsmom
socalgardengal
taterbug
TraceyOKC
usha_srinivasan
vajeff
velsgarden
xiangirl

o

Sorry, Matt! Yep, Molanic, you rock! :) Thanks for the clickable list! I have you down Matt :)

o

Awesome Molanic! Wish I had seen it earlier. I sent in my stuff yesterday. Oh well. I'll check it to see if anyone looking for what I have. I can always send in side gifts separate!

o

Wendy - thought I'd better post here that I sent you seeds and confirmation# via email last Wednesday, November 21.

karen

o

I'm in! I have never tried winter sowing before but am excited to give it a go. Thanks so much for doing this.

o

Hi Wendy! first thank you for emailing me about this swap and thank you, thank you for extending it!!! I just got back last night from Thanksgiving so figured I better get on here to post.
I know I'm very late but if anybody hasn't sent their seeds already I am open to side trades.
Last year was my first year and it was great got so many great seeds! Kathie

o

I'm going to mail mine as close to the the deadline as possible. I
have some commercial seeds coming in that I want to split the
packs.

Linda

o

That's fine, Linda. I'm always happy to wait on more seeds..lol.

Welcome back to Sinbadsmom and AHill_90 who is brand new to the idea of winter sowing. :)

The total should now be 33 if we include the 2 new people above. Thanks for reminding me to count myself Molanic.. LOL!

So far I have received pkgs from Poisondartfrog, Micyrey, and Primrose1x3. Mail hasn't arrived yet today. I'll keep posting as packages arrive.

Still plenty of time to sign up so if you know of someone that might enjoy it, please share the link so they can join in!

NEW game tomorrow! Stay tuned...

~Wendy / Sassyb.

o

I put my seeds in the mail today and included quite a few extras for the newbies.

o

I am mailing my seeds today. Thank you for hosting.

Ellie

o

Sorry, I'm late sending my seeds out. They will be going in the mail in the morning. I need an address to send them to, please.

Thanks,
Indiana.Matt
Matthew

o

I need a address to sent seeds to?
Thanks Lisa

o

I will be mailing mine tomorrow.

o

Mine went out today - hope they will come in time for this; I sent them priority mail.

o

You all are doing a fantastic job! :)
Over the past few days I've also received envelopes from October17, Velsgarden, and Xiangirl!

I've re-emailed out all the mailing address requests so if anyone needs anything, just let me know :)

I found out yesterday that my oldest son, who has spina bifida, must have another abdominal surgery... next week. So I have been busy making arrangements with friends to help deal with the younger siblings, and take care of the animals, etc etc. Luckily I am such a stickler for putting every seed that comes in onto a spreadsheet to sort easier for everyone that this will actually be a wonderful project to keep me busy while I am sitting in the hospital room with my son for a minimum of 7 days.

I'm not going to change the return mailing date unless it absolutely comes to that. I am still shooting for a Winter solstice return. I have a friend that will be delivering packages to me up at the hospital if they come in after he is admitted next week.

I am going to put the next game on hold til after we're settled in at the hospital so I can be sure I don't miss any postings. Hope ya'll don't mind! I'll be sure to make it worth your wait! :)

~Wendy / Sassyb.

o

Wendy I mailed my seeds on November the 23rd from Indiana. I am concerned that you haven't gotten them yet? This is my first swap, what do I do if they don't arrive? Should I be using delivery confirmation?

o

Also I should have said that I am so sorry you are having health issues in your family, especially during the Holiday season. My best friend's son has Spina Bifida, it is a tough disease. I will pray for your family and the doctors treating him.

o

My thoughts and prayers for your family Sassy and hoping for a speedy recovery

o

Wendy, take care of yourself and your son - tough time of year to have to deal with hospitalization. I know I don't care if your mailing date gets moved out, and I'm sure most others won't, either. Be sure to make time for yourself, have a cup of good tea, some good music...

Wishing you well.

o

• Posted by edie_h 5bNY (Finger Lakes) (My Page) on
    Thu, Nov 29, 12 at 21:07

Wendy,

Do what you have to, family's first priority. If you move the date out a bit I'll actually be relieved. I still need to get my packet put together and will be working on it tonight and tomorrow so it can go in tomorrow's mail.

Yes to trades, no to tomatoes.

Best wishes to you and your family.

o

• Posted by nan-6161 Zone 7 Long Island, (My Page) on
    Thu, Nov 29, 12 at 23:22

Hi Wendy,

I was distracted with another swap (and then hurricane sandy!!!!) and never did get to sign up for this one. But I came over to see how it was going and see that you are trying to do some of the work from the hospital - my goodness you are dedicated mother and swap host! Sending Good healing thoughts and prayers to your son. Try to take care of yourself - I know it's hard when our kids need us, but do try.

Nancy

o

Wendy, Thoughts and prayers to you and your family. Always..........Family first. I will be mailing my packs in the morning, I am in no big hurry for their return, whenever. We have a lot of winter ahead of us.

o

Wendy, sent my package yesterday. Agree with the other posters - absolutely no hurry on the return. My thoughts are with you and your family. Margie

o

Sending you good thoughts and prayers Wendy. My package went in the mail today.

o

• Posted by nan-6161 Zone 7 Long Island, (My Page) on
    Fri, Nov 30, 12 at 8:18

Wendy says I can still join up - I am very excited not to have missed this swap!

I have been wintersowing for a long time now and I love it! I only grow flowers, so no tomatoes for me. I will send some extra seeds for newbies. Please send me the mailing address and I will get everything ready this weekend and in mail on Monday.

Nancy

o

Well, this didn't go as planned. The package I sent out the other day isn't going to arrive. What I thought was this swap's package ended up being another swap's (which wasn't supposed to go out yet!). I noticed this morning while I was bagging more seeds. There it was sitting next to the seed box... If it's not too late, I can send it out today.

It seems that I'm a little bit in over my head this year with all these swaps going on at nearly the same time! Cleaning, bagging, tagging, and organizing seeds, separating out the WS and scanning through tons of wishlists... My living room is a mosaic of seed packets!

o

Wendy I will be keeping you and your family in my prayers.I read in an earlier post that you received my seeds.Sorry,but I havent mailed mine yet.Could they have maybe been for me?I got on here to apologize for being late,because I cant get mine out until in the morning.As for returning,Im in no hurry.You just take care of your son.Hope all goes well.

o

VaJeff ~ that'll be fine :) I'll be receiving packages on into next week from the majority anyway :)

Velvet ~ I'll check on that! I must have misread the address wrong!

I received more packages in today's mail, but we just walked in from a LONG afternoon of pre-op and waiting on test results so I'll be back later tonight to update everything and put up a list of confirmed received packages.

Also, a big welcome to nan_6161! :)

o

My package should arrive Monday. I sent it flat rate in hopes that it'll reach you on the 3rd. It'll be one of those little flat rate boxes (flat rate bubble mailers were not available at this PO :( ) and has the package stuffed in it... I hope none of the seeds got squished!

Best wishes to you and your son, Wendy. I hope everything goes smoothly.

o

Maybe the seeds you marked as Velsgarden could possibly be the ones I sent?

I am so curious if my seeds made it or not, but the most important thing is to spend time caring for your son.

o

I'm also behind the eight ball. I just put my seeds in the box at the post office. I don't know if they'll go out today yet or on Monday. Anyway, they're on their way.

Martha

o

My seeds went out this morning.Thank you so much for hosting.

o

Mine arrived today at your house, at least that's what the delivery
confirmation read. I''ll be praying that your son has a successful
operation.

Linda

o

Does anyone want open-pollinated seeds for Gardenia "Kleim's Hardy" shrub? My neighbor gave quite a few seeds to me from 2011 harvest. I've had them in zip-lock bag in cool storage.

The flowers are simple, but fragrant. If pollinated, pretty red-orange seed pods develop, giving unique extended beauty to this variety. (If you handle the ripe seed pods, be aware that they will dye fingers yellow.)

It is a 2-3' tall shrub variety, and is cold hardy zones 7-10, so colder zones can grow in container, prune, and move indoors. It blooms twice during summer in zone 7 near Atlanta.

The seedlings I grew are a couple of years old, but have not bloomed, so I'm not certain whether the seeds will be true to the parent. However, there are no gardenia bushes in neighboring yards, so I'm optimistic.

I made 3 packets and still have enough for several folks, but a shrub isn't something everyone can use.

I'll mail my packet on Monday. Let me know if you want any of these gardenia seeds and number of seeds you can use.

Here is a link that might be useful: Here's a link with photo of the red-orange seed pod

o

Oops. Someone said it is Gardenia jasminoides 'Grif's Select'. So that's the seeds I have available to those in this swap.

o

I would love some of the gardenia seeds please
Thanks Lisa

o

Package Received Update!!

ChefConnie - no worries, yours is here!

Received:
ChefConnie
Poisondartfrog
Onedaylily
October17
Farmergirl2009
Molanic
Xiangirl
Micyrey
Traceyokc
Drippy
Gardenunusual
Roper2008
Primrose1x3
Peaches0104
Indiana.Matt

I'll update again on Monday!

Wendy / Sassyb.

o

FULL mailbox today!! :)

Packages arrived today from:
Nana8
Velsgarden
VAJeff
Docmom
Daisydawnny
Lois
Edie_H
Indiananatalie

Just a reminder, we'll be headed to the hospital early in the a.m. and so it'll be a few days before I update new packages received. But as soon as my person at the house updates me, I'll update you. :)

Thanks everyone!
~Wendy / Sassyb.

o

Best wishes, Wendy - keep us posted on the surgery - will be sending good energy your way.

o

Sorry, I'm not going to be able to make the swap this year. New job, crazy time. Blessings to you and your family.
taterbug

o

hello wendy
how was the surgery, you doing ok?
I hope all went well
michelle

o

Hi, all - just got a message from Wendy (Sassybutterfly) - she can't get on here using the hospital internet, but she wanted me to let everyone know that the surgery was successful, they are coming home tomorrow, and she will post updates as soon as she is settled in again back home.

Hooray for modern medicine!

o

Glad to hear that good news.

o

I'm baaa-aaaaack! Surgery was a success tho we did have a few issues after we got back home. He is doing really well now and post-op app't end of the week is expected to go great. Thanks to all of you for your well-wishes and prayers! <3

Received:
ChefConnie
Poisondartfrog
Onedaylily
October17
Farmergirl2009
Molanic
Xiangirl
Micyrey
Traceyokc
Drippy
Gardenunusual
Roper2008
Primrose1x3
Peaches0104
Indiana.Matt
Nana8
Velsgarden
VAJeff
Docmom
Daisydawnny
Lois
Edie_H
Indiananatalie
Lysa39
Sinbadsmom
Ktrout
Railroadrabbit
nan-6161
ahill_90

Taterbug I know you dropped out, thanks for letting me know!

There are 2 others whose packages I am looking for, I'll email you directly.

I have already begun sorting. I doubt I will make the original plan of mailing out by 12/21... but I will work as fast as I can and let you all know where I am by mid next week.

Thanks to you all for all your patience with my son's surgery, etc. I am so sorry I haven't been able to BE here and make this one as much fun as last year's swap! But, we're not finished yet! :)

Hugs!
Wendy / Sassyb.

o

I'm so glad the surgery went well and your son is doing better! Take your time on the swap, really.

o

I, too, am glad it went well!

No rush on the swap, at least for me. Take your time if you need! I didn't start until late January last year... or was it mid February... I'm short on containers anyway since I kinda tossed all the milk jugs out due to lack of space this past summer (oops), so I'm in no hurry.

Happy Holidays!
Jeff

o

hi
yes no rush I never sow anything till after new years.
i'm using giant fruit cans from work this year, I put holes in the bottom and filled them with dirt. I have had trouble with jugs blowing over almost every year, last year we had 70 mile per hour winds and all 100 jugs were rolled around the yard. the cans are heavyer and the bottoms are flat and partialy buryed.
school kitchens are great places to find cans, we use so many for sauses, vegies and fruit.

michelle

o

Thanks Wendy for doing the swap. Glad the surgery went well.

I am also in no hurry to receive seeds back. I just have to get through the holidays before I can do one more thing and I know if those seeds arive I would stop everything and go through them so take your time.

I would have never thought of using cans to winter sow in. We have had such strong wind storms here already but I have to tie all the handles together in order to keep them upright and sometimes that doesn't help either. Last year I put the jugs in raised beds that I have a 18" high wire fencing around (to keep the dogs out because they dig) and I put the jugs in really tight and it seems to hold them in place. Thats what I will do this year also.

Have a great Christmas season everyone!

Ellie

o

Dittos--no hurry. I was sick and now that I feel better I look around and see all the things that got neglected. You're the caregiver so I'm sure the pressure is not letting up on you. Don't be stressed by us out here. We're happy to wait and we're more than pleased surgery went well and things are going great.

I had an idea to put my plastic bottles in plastic laundry baskets to keep them upright. They can still get the sunlight. I have one place to put my wintersowing and it's in front of my house so I'm trying not to look too "redneck". I spent last winter standing bottles back up and I didn't want to do that again. No handles on my containers so I can't tie them together.
Wintersowing baskets 2012
Heidi

o

You should see these today--covered in 3" of snow. It came quickly and went. Everyone's so happy to have snow and the guys are all out showing off with their snowblowers!
Heidi

o

Hi everyone! Is everyone ready for Christmas??

My son has been experiencing a few more complications.. hopefully they will straighten out without another hospital visit. This has been a much tougher recovery for him than all the other surgeries and I'm not sure why..

But thanks to you all for the positive thoughts & prayers! <3

I'm about halfway done sorting - and I'm going to put everything up today until after Christmas and then I'll start sorting again. My goal is a mail out day of January 2nd. Thanks you guys for being so understanding!!

I love the idea of using cans.. and Xiangirl - brilliant idea w/ the laundry baskets.. altho I would need a truck ful of those babies!! lol I kinda tend to over-plant.. by a few hundred or so..lol

Hugs!
Wendy

o

*~*~*~*Merry Christmas everyone!*~*~*~*

o

Tue, Dec 25, 12 at 13:32

Merry Christmas back atcha, Sassy! <3

o

Hope everyone had a nice holiday! It's COLD here..although not nearly as cold as some of you folks up north!! brr!

Does anyone want to take a guess at the total seed pack count sent in for sorting? (this includes the extras sent in as well) :)

~Wendy

o

You know you're an addict when the best xmas present was the empty milk jugs you took home after the party!

o

I'll guess 1,300 seed packets, Wendy!

o

hello
my guess is.....1600
michelle

o

Hrm. I'll pick a happy medium. 1450.

I hope everyone enjoyed their holiday and has a great New Year.

o

Sun, Dec 30, 12 at 9:23

I'll guess an even 1000.

xiangirl, I know what you mean. I am looking forward to getting back to the office so I can beg water jugs from people, LOL.

Hope everyone has a happy and safe New Years.

o

I guess the number of seed packs to be 2200
Lysa39

o

I guess the number of seed packs to be 2200
Lysa39

o

I guess 712

o

I'll guess 2225!

o

I'm down to the last 2 packages to finish up. :))

My son has a follow-up appt tomorrow but I will try to get to the post office in the afternoon to get these out. If I don't make it, it'll be on the 2nd that everyone's packages will go out.

I hope everyone is pleased with their selections. I did my best with those of you that had wish lists, and those that didn't have any lists or requests got a nice selection of all sorts of varieties. We didn't have as many tomatoes come in this year.. next year I'll really push the tomatoes again :)

I know it was a rough year for gardening .. some of us dealt with bad droughts, some with too much rain, and some of us with terrible storms. I think you all did a fantastic job of sending in a broad selection to share with each other. Thanks so much to all of you!!!

Most of ya are guessing on the high side. Right now, Lois is in the lead. We had less participants this year than last.

Happy almost New Year everyone!
~Sassyb.

o

My guess is 865. Good to hear your son is doing better! Happy New Year everyone!!

o

Socalgardengal and Daisydawnny ~ I've been trying to get a hold of each of you. Could you please email me? Thanks! :)

o

Sent you an email Wendy. Thank you!

o

The packages are on their way home to you!! Enjoy! :)

o

YAY... more seeds
I just sent off my swap seeds too.
thanks sassy

o

Received my seeds today and a wonderful selection. Thank you Wendy for getting this all together. Now to start thinking winter sowing! Have one more big Christmas party on the 13th and then the trees come down (yes trees...put up 9). Hopefully by next week it will warm up and we'll get snow. High yesterday was 17 and so far today its 22.

Ellie

o

Happy Birthday to me...I got my package of seeds today!

Thanks Wendy!

o

Woo Hoo, I got my seeds too! Going to go through them
tonight. Thanks Wendy

o

Yay...Wendy,got my seeds today too.Love the seeds I got.Thanks to everyone and thank you Wendy for hosting an awesome swap.

o

I received my seeds today, thanks so much for an awesome swap! I was completely surprised by how many seeds I received. Thanks for an awesome swap Wendy!

Connie

o

Wintersow "What Were You Thinking Moment" this week. I set out to find plastic containers. Talked to GW people about how to mark-every marker I've tried has failed in the last 2 years. I found tubs. Without thinking I bought glass jars at Goodwill. They're great for the greenhouse effect, but putting in the drainholes is a challenge. Duh! Why, yes, I'm blond. Why do you ask?

o

OMG-Received my seeds today. I'm more excited about this than anything I received for Christmas (except the angel statue for my garden). The variety is unreal. Thanks to everyone who participated and thanks, Wendy, for putting this together. Now to get busy winter sowing!!

o

Thank you, Wendy! I received a lovely package of seeds today - some very nice selections sent in by this year's participants. I hope to get busy wintersowing soon - thanks again!

o

Wendy, you are the GREATEST. Thank you so much for arranging this swap. I feel like such a slacker,I received twice as many as I sent. Next year I will have lots more to swap. What a great selection. Can't wait to start planting. Thanks again, Marge

o

Wendy thank you so much for all ur hard work. I just got my seeds and there so great.
Thank you to wendy and everyone who sent seeds in too

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: This thread has reached the upper limit for the number follow-ups allowed (150). If you would like to continue this discussion, please begin a new thread using the form on the main forum page.

Return to the Winter Sowing Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here