Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sassybutterfly_2008

wanted: wanted: ~*~welcome to winterswap 2012~*~

Welcome! Welcome to WinterSwap 2012 !!

Let's get the basics out of the way so we can get to the seeds!

The rules are long and detailed in order to avoid any confusion for our newbies. For the seasoned veterans you can scan for the basics and feel free to post if you have any questions or suggestions.

Rule#1 ~ Have FUN with this swap!!

Rule#2 ~ Post here if you wish to join. Tell us your name and how long you have been wintersowing. Then send me an email (found on my GW member page) with 'WinterSwap' in the subject line. Send me your gardenweb ID, your name and mailing address. I will respond with a copy of the rules and my mailing address. Please post here if you do not receive an email from me and I will do the same if I have not received one from you.

Rule#3 ~ Sign-ups will be allowed until November 20th. Packages MUST be mailed to me no later than November 27th. I will have the packages back in the mail to you for arrival by December 22nd, this year's Winter Solstice.

Rule#4 ~ Please update your Gardenweb trade pages. Update those wish lists and your seeds available for trade. *IF* you wish people to contact you for side trades, please say that in your post here.

Rule#5 ~ Please mail your packets in a bubble mailer no smaller than 6x9. Please include a mailing label with your return address on it. Please include a minimum of 6-8 stamps for the return trip. If you request a delivery confirmation on your return package, please include an additional 2 stamps and a note stating you want one. You will most likely be receiving more back than what you submit, especially if you have side swaps. Please keep that additional weight in mind and include even more stamps if you feel it is necessary. Any postage left will be returned to you.

Rule#6 ~ Seed varieties should be limited to flowers, bushes/shrubbery (azaleas, spirea, beauty berry, etc.) or fruit bearing trees and plants. As far as edibles go, let's stick to fruit seeds and tomatoes as those seem to do the best with the winter sowing technique and the tomatoes seemed to be a crowd favorite last year.

Rule#7 ~ You may send in up to 40 packets of flowers, bushes/shrubbery, and/or fruit seeds. You may also send in up to 10 packs of tomato seeds. To clarify, send in UP TO 40 packs of flower/bush/fruit seeds and UP TO 10 packs of tomato seeds for a TOTAL MAXIMUM amount of 50 packs of seed per player.

Rule#8 ~ Please send in no more than 3 packs of seed per named variety. To clarify - you may send in 3 packs of 'Crazy' Daisy or if you have 3 DIFFERENT types of daisies in your stash, you may send in 3 packs PER variety. NO 'Unknown' Mixes are allowed. Please do not send in packs labeled 'Cleome Mix' or 'Morning Glory Mix' or 'Wildflower Mix'. Let's try to WOW each other at least a little bit with our contributions. If YOU would be pleased to receive it, chances are someone else will be too. This is not a clean-your-seed-box-out kind of swap.. (there will be an opportunity for that below). It's meant to be a means to swap some great varieties of all sorts so that we can all share our gardens with one another.

Rule#9 ~ Your packets should include the following information: (and if they don't, I will send you back 50 packs of Black Eyed Susan seeds. ) (JUST KIDDING!!!..but I do have a LOT to share..lol !!)

You packets should include:

--Your Gardenweb ID (if you don't mind!)Might be helpful to those of us that might want to contact a seed trader for more information on the particular plant.

--Seed Variety name. Botanical name too if you happen to know it. Any known info re: height, shade or p/shade or full sun. Color of flower might be nice.

--YEAR seed was harvested. No seeds older than 2011 please!

--One of the following three codes:

--(C) for Commercial Seed

--(T) for seed obtained by Trade

--(G) for seed grown in your own Garden

Rule#10 ~ Please send in a 'SENT' list with all the varieties listed that you have sent in for the swap. This will also help me to keep from returning your own seed back to you.

Rule#11 ~ Please also send in a 'WISH' list of up to 20 items and up to 10 specific tomato varieties that you want the MOST. Please be specific. If you want only blue flowers.. please state that. If you want only vines.. state that. If you want shade only plants.. state that. But please understand that I can only fill your wishes from the variety of seeds that are sent in for the swap. If no one sends in a specific variety, you may not receive it. So give me a broad list from which to grant your wishes. I will use this to try to fill some of your ultimate wishes and I will also be using your regular wish list on your GW page. If you do not wish to receive tomatoes in your package, PLEASE note this on your wish list page!

Rule#12 ~ 'Side swaps' are allowed and even encouraged. BE SURE to check one another's posts on here to BE SURE it is ok to contact someone directly regarding a trade. If a player has not stated that they are ok to be contacted for trades PLEASE do not contact them without at least posting a question here on the swap thread first. ALL side swaps should be packaged in a baggie plainly marked with the recipient's Gardenweb ID on the outside of the baggie. Any side swap baggies will be put directly into the receiver's mailer. I will not be opening any of the side swap baggies. I am just acting as the mailer for you. :) I will leave it up to each of you to keep up with your own side swap trades as I will not be monitoring that process.

Rule#13 ~ 'Gifts' and 'Extras'. Here is where you will have an opportunity to clean out that seed box. You are welcome to go thru everyone's individual wish lists and 'gift' seeds to an individual person. I'm sure we would all be thrilled to have those 'gifts', but I am not making it a mandatory requirement. Again, any 'gifted' seeds should be put into a baggie with the recipient's gardenweb ID marked plainly on the front of it. If you do not have the time or the desire to go that route you are welcome to put any 'Extras' you have into a larger baggie and just mark it plainly on the outside as 'Extras'. **If you send in a huge baggie of thousands of, let's say.. Bread Seed Poppy seeds, please also send some empty individual packets that I can use to break down the large amounts into swap size packets. I don't mind doing the extra work of breaking down the larger quantities but I really can't afford to buy hundreds of extra baggies to carry out that process.** Any 'Extras' will be used to supplement the newbie envelopes, some will be offered up as a 'last call' before I mail out, and many will be sent to the newbies via a thread request or possibly even the Newbie Project that bakemom so graciously hosts and/or to Trudi's Wintersown.org to share with future new winter sowers.

**DISCLAIMER** Please know that I will do all I humanly can to fill as many of your wishes both on your 'wish' list and your regular gardenweb page. BUT this all depends on YOU, the participants and the types of seeds that you send in. The more common seeds and 'fillers' are definitely a necessary need in our gardens but let's try to really please each other and send in some crowd favorites as well. And newbies, don't be overwhelmed. If you only have 10 to 15 types of seed to send in, go for it! I can personally guarantee you will receive more packs than you sent in just for your participation!

Everyone will receive no less than the amount of seed packets mailed in and, most likely, many more!

Again, if you have questions, please post here or put them in your emails to me. I will be responding to emails every night.

Now, let's start digging in those seed boxes and harvesting those seeds from our gardens and let's have some FUN!

~Wendy / Sassyb. / AKA your personal WS seed enabler! :)

Comments (148)

• chefconnie
    11 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Maybe the seeds you marked as Velsgarden could possibly be the ones I sent?

I am so curious if my seeds made it or not, but the most important thing is to spend time caring for your son.

• docmom_gw
    11 years ago

I'm also behind the eight ball. I just put my seeds in the box at the post office. I don't know if they'll go out today yet or on Monday. Anyway, they're on their way.

Martha

• velsgarden
    11 years ago

My seeds went out this morning.Thank you so much for hosting.

• roper2008
    11 years ago

Mine arrived today at your house, at least that's what the delivery
    confirmation read. I''ll be praying that your son has a successful
    operation.

Linda

• railroadrabbit
    11 years ago

Does anyone want open-pollinated seeds for Gardenia "Kleim's Hardy" shrub? My neighbor gave quite a few seeds to me from 2011 harvest. I've had them in zip-lock bag in cool storage.

The flowers are simple, but fragrant. If pollinated, pretty red-orange seed pods develop, giving unique extended beauty to this variety. (If you handle the ripe seed pods, be aware that they will dye fingers yellow.)

It is a 2-3' tall shrub variety, and is cold hardy zones 7-10, so colder zones can grow in container, prune, and move indoors. It blooms twice during summer in zone 7 near Atlanta.

The seedlings I grew are a couple of years old, but have not bloomed, so I'm not certain whether the seeds will be true to the parent. However, there are no gardenia bushes in neighboring yards, so I'm optimistic.

I made 3 packets and still have enough for several folks, but a shrub isn't something everyone can use.

I'll mail my packet on Monday. Let me know if you want any of these gardenia seeds and number of seeds you can use.

Here is a link that might be useful: Here's a link with photo of the red-orange seed pod

• railroadrabbit
    11 years ago

Oops. Someone said it is Gardenia jasminoides 'Grif's Select'. So that's the seeds I have available to those in this swap.

• lysa39
    11 years ago

I would love some of the gardenia seeds please
    Thanks Lisa

• sassybutterfly_2008
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Package Received Update!!

ChefConnie - no worries, yours is here!

Received:
    ChefConnie
    Poisondartfrog
    Onedaylily
    October17
    Farmergirl2009
    Molanic
    Xiangirl
    Micyrey
    Traceyokc
    Drippy
    Gardenunusual
    Roper2008
    Primrose1x3
    Peaches0104
    Indiana.Matt

I'll update again on Monday!

Wendy / Sassyb.

• sassybutterfly_2008
    Original Author
    11 years ago

FULL mailbox today!! :)

Packages arrived today from:
    Nana8
    Velsgarden
    VAJeff
    Docmom
    Daisydawnny
    Lois
    Edie_H
    Indiananatalie

Just a reminder, we'll be headed to the hospital early in the a.m. and so it'll be a few days before I update new packages received. But as soon as my person at the house updates me, I'll update you. :)

Thanks everyone!
    ~Wendy / Sassyb.

• drippy
    11 years ago

Best wishes, Wendy - keep us posted on the surgery - will be sending good energy your way.

• taterbug
    11 years ago

Sorry, I'm not going to be able to make the swap this year. New job, crazy time. Blessings to you and your family.
    taterbug

• Michelle Reynolds
    11 years ago

hello wendy
    how was the surgery, you doing ok?
    I hope all went well
    michelle

• drippy
    11 years ago

Hi, all - just got a message from Wendy (Sassybutterfly) - she can't get on here using the hospital internet, but she wanted me to let everyone know that the surgery was successful, they are coming home tomorrow, and she will post updates as soon as she is settled in again back home.

Hooray for modern medicine!

• roper2008
    11 years ago

Glad to hear that good news.

• sassybutterfly_2008
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I'm baaa-aaaaack! Surgery was a success tho we did have a few issues after we got back home. He is doing really well now and post-op app't end of the week is expected to go great. Thanks to all of you for your well-wishes and prayers!
    Received:
    ChefConnie
    Poisondartfrog
    Onedaylily
    October17
    Farmergirl2009
    Molanic
    Xiangirl
    Micyrey
    Traceyokc
    Drippy
    Gardenunusual
    Roper2008
    Primrose1x3
    Peaches0104
    Indiana.Matt
    Nana8
    Velsgarden
    VAJeff
    Docmom
    Daisydawnny
    Lois
    Edie_H
    Indiananatalie
    Lysa39
    Sinbadsmom
    Ktrout
    Railroadrabbit
    nan-6161
    ahill_90

Taterbug I know you dropped out, thanks for letting me know!

There are 2 others whose packages I am looking for, I'll email you directly.

I have already begun sorting. I doubt I will make the original plan of mailing out by 12/21... but I will work as fast as I can and let you all know where I am by mid next week.

Thanks to you all for all your patience with my son's surgery, etc. I am so sorry I haven't been able to BE here and make this one as much fun as last year's swap! But, we're not finished yet! :)

Hugs!
    Wendy / Sassyb.

• october17
    11 years ago

I'm so glad the surgery went well and your son is doing better! Take your time on the swap, really.

• vajeff
    11 years ago

I, too, am glad it went well!

No rush on the swap, at least for me. Take your time if you need! I didn't start until late January last year... or was it mid February... I'm short on containers anyway since I kinda tossed all the milk jugs out due to lack of space this past summer (oops), so I'm in no hurry.

Happy Holidays!
    Jeff

• Michelle Reynolds
    11 years ago

hi
    yes no rush I never sow anything till after new years.
    i'm using giant fruit cans from work this year, I put holes in the bottom and filled them with dirt. I have had trouble with jugs blowing over almost every year, last year we had 70 mile per hour winds and all 100 jugs were rolled around the yard. the cans are heavyer and the bottoms are flat and partialy buryed.
    school kitchens are great places to find cans, we use so many for sauses, vegies and fruit.

michelle

• elliesfun
    11 years ago

Thanks Wendy for doing the swap. Glad the surgery went well.

I am also in no hurry to receive seeds back. I just have to get through the holidays before I can do one more thing and I know if those seeds arive I would stop everything and go through them so take your time.

I would have never thought of using cans to winter sow in. We have had such strong wind storms here already but I have to tie all the handles together in order to keep them upright and sometimes that doesn't help either. Last year I put the jugs in raised beds that I have a 18" high wire fencing around (to keep the dogs out because they dig) and I put the jugs in really tight and it seems to hold them in place. Thats what I will do this year also.

Have a great Christmas season everyone!

Ellie

• xiangirl zone 4/5 Nebraska
    11 years ago

Dittos--no hurry. I was sick and now that I feel better I look around and see all the things that got neglected. You're the caregiver so I'm sure the pressure is not letting up on you. Don't be stressed by us out here. We're happy to wait and we're more than pleased surgery went well and things are going great.

I had an idea to put my plastic bottles in plastic laundry baskets to keep them upright. They can still get the sunlight. I have one place to put my wintersowing and it's in front of my house so I'm trying not to look too "redneck". I spent last winter standing bottles back up and I didn't want to do that again. No handles on my containers so I can't tie them together.
    {{gwi:338504}}
    Heidi

11 years ago

You should see these today--covered in 3" of snow. It came quickly and went. Everyone's so happy to have snow and the guys are all out showing off with their snowblowers!
    Heidi

• sassybutterfly_2008
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Hi everyone! Is everyone ready for Christmas??

My son has been experiencing a few more complications.. hopefully they will straighten out without another hospital visit. This has been a much tougher recovery for him than all the other surgeries and I'm not sure why..

But thanks to you all for the positive thoughts & prayers! I'm about halfway done sorting - and I'm going to put everything up today until after Christmas and then I'll start sorting again. My goal is a mail out day of January 2nd. Thanks you guys for being so understanding!!

I love the idea of using cans.. and Xiangirl - brilliant idea w/ the laundry baskets.. altho I would need a truck ful of those babies!! lol I kinda tend to over-plant.. by a few hundred or so..lol

Hugs!
    Wendy

• sassybutterfly_2008
    Original Author
    11 years ago

*~*~*~*Merry Christmas everyone!*~*~*~*

• loisthegardener_nc7b
    11 years ago

Merry Christmas back atcha, Sassy!

• sassybutterfly_2008
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Hope everyone had a nice holiday! It's COLD here..although not nearly as cold as some of you folks up north!! brr!

Does anyone want to take a guess at the total seed pack count sent in for sorting? (this includes the extras sent in as well) :)

~Wendy

11 years ago

You know you're an addict when the best xmas present was the empty milk jugs you took home after the party!

• indiana_matt
    11 years ago

I'll guess 1,300 seed packets, Wendy!

• Michelle Reynolds
    11 years ago

hello
    my guess is.....1600
    michelle

• vajeff
    11 years ago

Hrm. I'll pick a happy medium. 1450.

I hope everyone enjoyed their holiday and has a great New Year.

• loisthegardener_nc7b
    11 years ago

I'll guess an even 1000.

xiangirl, I know what you mean. I am looking forward to getting back to the office so I can beg water jugs from people, LOL.

Hope everyone has a happy and safe New Years.

• lysa39
    11 years ago

I guess the number of seed packs to be 2200
    Lysa39

• lysa39
    11 years ago

I guess the number of seed packs to be 2200
    Lysa39

• chefconnie
    11 years ago

I guess 712

11 years ago

I'll guess 2225!

• sassybutterfly_2008
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I'm down to the last 2 packages to finish up. :))

My son has a follow-up appt tomorrow but I will try to get to the post office in the afternoon to get these out. If I don't make it, it'll be on the 2nd that everyone's packages will go out.

I hope everyone is pleased with their selections. I did my best with those of you that had wish lists, and those that didn't have any lists or requests got a nice selection of all sorts of varieties. We didn't have as many tomatoes come in this year.. next year I'll really push the tomatoes again :)

I know it was a rough year for gardening .. some of us dealt with bad droughts, some with too much rain, and some of us with terrible storms. I think you all did a fantastic job of sending in a broad selection to share with each other. Thanks so much to all of you!!!

Most of ya are guessing on the high side. Right now, Lois is in the lead. We had less participants this year than last.

Happy almost New Year everyone!
    ~Sassyb.

• socalgardengal
    11 years ago

My guess is 865. Good to hear your son is doing better! Happy New Year everyone!!

• sassybutterfly_2008
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Socalgardengal and Daisydawnny ~ I've been trying to get a hold of each of you. Could you please email me? Thanks! :)

• daisydawnny
    11 years ago

Sent you an email Wendy. Thank you!

• sassybutterfly_2008
    Original Author
    11 years ago

The packages are on their way home to you!! Enjoy! :)

• Michelle Reynolds
    11 years ago

YAY... more seeds
    I just sent off my swap seeds too.
    thanks sassy

• elliesfun
    11 years ago

Received my seeds today and a wonderful selection. Thank you Wendy for getting this all together. Now to start thinking winter sowing! Have one more big Christmas party on the 13th and then the trees come down (yes trees...put up 9). Hopefully by next week it will warm up and we'll get snow. High yesterday was 17 and so far today its 22.

Ellie

• indiana_matt
    11 years ago

Happy Birthday to me...I got my package of seeds today!

Thanks Wendy!

• roper2008
    11 years ago

Woo Hoo, I got my seeds too! Going to go through them
    tonight. Thanks Wendy

• velsgarden
    11 years ago

Yay...Wendy,got my seeds today too.Love the seeds I got.Thanks to everyone and thank you Wendy for hosting an awesome swap.

• chefconnie
    11 years ago

I received my seeds today, thanks so much for an awesome swap! I was completely surprised by how many seeds I received. Thanks for an awesome swap Wendy!

Connie

11 years ago

Wintersow "What Were You Thinking Moment" this week. I set out to find plastic containers. Talked to GW people about how to mark-every marker I've tried has failed in the last 2 years. I found tubs. Without thinking I bought glass jars at Goodwill. They're great for the greenhouse effect, but putting in the drainholes is a challenge. Duh! Why, yes, I'm blond. Why do you ask?

• IndianaNatalie
    11 years ago

OMG-Received my seeds today. I'm more excited about this than anything I received for Christmas (except the angel statue for my garden). The variety is unreal. Thanks to everyone who participated and thanks, Wendy, for putting this together. Now to get busy winter sowing!!

• drippy
    11 years ago

Thank you, Wendy! I received a lovely package of seeds today - some very nice selections sent in by this year's participants. I hope to get busy wintersowing soon - thanks again!

• nana8
    11 years ago

Wendy, you are the GREATEST. Thank you so much for arranging this swap. I feel like such a slacker,I received twice as many as I sent. Next year I will have lots more to swap. What a great selection. Can't wait to start planting. Thanks again, Marge

• lysa39
    11 years ago

Wendy thank you so much for all ur hard work. I just got my seeds and there so great.
    Thank you to wendy and everyone who sent seeds in too