Return to the Winter Sowing Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Buddleia, purple 2008

Posted by mnwsgal 4 Henn MN (My Page) on
Sat, Jan 24, 09 at 5:09

Buddleia , purple ws 2008 bloom 2008

I am amazed at the length of the flower spike, twice as long as any of my other buddleia plants.

Butterfly Bush  Buddleia

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Buddleia, purple 2008

Wow! That is amazing!

Beautiful

o

I can't believe it bloomed the same year, i had no idea they grew that fast. This is great news because i've sowed several different varieties this winter.

It's really pretty too.

o

irish, the first year plants stayed quite short and only had a couple of blooms. The two year old plants grew 3 ft tall with many blooms. Keep in mind in MN buddleia stays short due to our short growing season and having to come back from the roots each spring due to cold winters.

o

MN NW Gal,

Very cool! I want to try some next year. I almost caved
in Wal-Mart a few weeks ago and bought a bush.
I will see if I have the strength to hold out all summer.
I have wanted a BFB for 3 years now.

Mary

o

I found a single volunteer last summer (about July) in the bed where I had a single bush. It bloomed in late September. Our first frost was Nov 20-ish.

o

Mary, they are easy to grow from seed and grow quickly. I wish I had known about ws before I bought my first one as it was so expensive.

Buddleia need 4 wks of cold strat which can still be done in the frig if you want to start seeds yet this year.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Winter Sowing Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here