Return to the Winter Sowing Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Flowering Maple

Posted by pvick z6B NYC (My Page) on
Sun, Feb 18, 07 at 6:00

This abutilon was WSed last year; brought it inside for the winter.

I've read that it will flower inside and can be grown as a houseplant, but this is far more than I expected:

Abutilon, flowering inside

The plant is maybe a foot tall, and covered in buds and blooms:

Full of buds

A beautiful vibrant red! I'm really liking this plant! Hope it does at least as well, outside, this year!

And for good measure, my hibiscus is blooming too! This one never even made it outside last year, but it's doing well enough to put out a flower or two. I missed the open flower, so this pic shows it closing up:

Tropical Hibiscus 'Orange Crush'

I'm ready for spring!

PV

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Flowering Maple

That color is absolutely amazing, wow!! It really cheered me up on this dreary snowy day, thanks.

The only thing around here that exciting to my eyes is when a group of Cardinals decides to come over to dine.

Mary

o

PV
Stunning
Ron

o

How gorgeous !! Lucky you, to have such beauty inside for the winter !

Carol

o

A beauty. You must have good light indoors. I envy you. :-)

o

Thanks all ...

pitimpinai - my windows face south and get great light, especially in the winter months. The terrace cuts off the light a bit from my living/dining area, but my "overwintering" plants are all in the bedroom, where the windows are totally unobscured and uncovered.

Needless to say, I don't sleep in the bedroom any more ...

PV

o

Isn't that too die for?

As a matter of fact I learned this one as a houseplant in school (houseplant ID).

The greenery (the schools greenhouse store and floral shop)sells many of these a year as such :D

Enjoy!!

Vera

o

That is GORGEOUS!!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Winter Sowing Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here