Return to the Winter Sowing Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
The first blooms of the year: Snowdrops

Posted by clumsygrdner 6 Central Kentucky (My Page) on
Sun, Feb 8, 09 at 13:24

I'd recommend planting these spring blooming bulbs in patches all over your garden.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: The first blooms of the year: Snowdrops

• Posted by pvick z6B NYC (My Page) on
    Sun, Feb 8, 09 at 15:40

So cute! I'll have to get some of those ...

PV

o

The runners up: Crocus!

Photobucket

o

hehehe...my first blooms were daffodils back in January.

Photobucket

Friday I found a crocus. I didn't know what all that foliage was. I didn't plant these. They were in an area of the yard I turned into a perennial bed. There is a LOT of this foliage all through the gardens now. I guess I must have cut the grass last spring before they had a chance to bloom. In summer, there are light purple ones that bloom.

Photobucket

o

Yeah well, I walked on the moon... :P

Hey, if you plant snowdrops you'll have blooms on New Year's probably.

o

My neighbor's yard already has them. He's never here. I considered accidentally digging some up. ;)

o

I have snowdrops this year - I actually bought the bulbs at a local nursery. Many have bllomed and I can't wait to collect seeds from them!

o

snowdrops seeds do not tolerate dry storage

o

• Posted by lois PA Zone 6 (My Page) on
    Sun, Apr 5, 09 at 15:59

Snowdrops are my first flowers, too. I also have a Christmas Rose (Helleborus Niger) and white forsythia which also bloom very early. There is a very early type of daffodil called "Rijnveld's Early Sensation" which blooms at about the same time as my dutch crocus. There is no such thing as too much early color after a winter like this! One of my resolutions for next year is to start some hardy pansies or violas in a pot on my windowsill so I can put them out in late march and have more color out there.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Winter Sowing Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here