Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
pvick_gw

Spring Fever (warnng - lots of pics!)

PVick
17 years ago

OK, I'm getting itchy now - no sprouts and I am ready for them! The perennials are waking up, but I still want my sprouts!!!

So, I've got nothing to do but reminisce on gardens past, and I will gladly drag you all down memory lane with me! LOL!

I've been WSing for 6 years now; my first year was the winter of 2001-2002. I can't express to you how WS soothed my soul that year. And I still think that garden - my first - is the prettiest one I've had.

One of my favorite pics from that year:

{{gwi:340025}}

Went a little petunia-crazy!

A bit more of my 2002 jungle -

{{gwi:340026}}

I made a lot of mistakes that year - like tossing plants that seemed to die, not knowing they were perennials going dormant. But I've gotten better over the years.

By 2003, things were looking pretty good - I was totally hooked on WS and wanting every plant I laid my eyes on.

{{gwi:340027}}

Didn't matter that I could barely walk around out there. Got my first fig that year, too ...

{{gwi:340028}}

Hey, I'm a gardener!! Whoo Hoo!

In 2004, we went a bit cottage-y:

{{gwi:340030}}

or something ...

{{gwi:340031}}

Whatever you'd call that style, I love it!

In 2005, I FINALLY got bulbs to grow for me and this lily was a beaut (alas, it did not survive the winter):

{{gwi:340032}}

By now, since I got smarter about perennials, things are getting a even more jungly out there, Hard to find places to put your feet:

{{gwi:340033}}

So, we arrive at 2006. Probably my second best garden; hard to pick a fav.

Maybe this one?

{{gwi:340034}}

Or this?

{{gwi:340035}}

or this magnificent merlin?

{{gwi:340036}}

Hmmm, kinda like them all! Wonder what 2007 will bring?

Hope you enjoyed the trip!

PV

Comments (10)

• flowerchildky
    17 years ago

OH PV! what a treat! I remember most of these beauties when you first posted them...it's neat to look back and see how you have grown -things that have changed, and some that have stayed the same..

thanks so much for posting- I am ready for spring too!

Linda

• ccoupkir
    17 years ago

Thanks for the wonderful pick-me-up! I cleaned beds yesterday and couldn't remember what Mystic Merlin looked like but it's coming back! Great that you have pics from each year to look back at!

• newbi
    17 years ago

Fantastic garden pv!!! Can I ask, how did you sow those petunias? I've never had luck WSing petunias (... although last year was my first and only try!!!) and am hoping for better luck this year. I am zone 5 and haven't sown them yet. Did you container sow them and transplant HOS or individually? Love the pics!!!

• albertar
    17 years ago

PV,
    As always its a pleasure viewing your photos, keep them coming.
    Alberta

• PVick
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Thanks all!

newbi - I sow petunias in containers, usually in mid-March. Most often, I prick out individual seedlings and pot them up to larger containers (4" transplant pots) until I'm ready to plant out; but that's just my personal preference. HOS should work just as well ...

PV

• lindakimy
    17 years ago

Pvick, thanks for putting up these pictures - maybe that'll keep me going til I can get my ws babies blooming.

I happened across pictures of your gorgeous garden a while back and have been a secret lurker there since. WOW. So beautiful...gives me hope!

• vera_eastern_wa
    17 years ago

OMG!! It's like looking at fine art!! The colors and combinations are outstanding...after my own heart :D
    Only problem is I can't be on your balcony to enjoy it!! I stuggle with design in the garden and you my dear are my new inspiration LOL!
    How nice too have such a slice of heaven to come home to in NYC!

Thanks,

Vera

• carrie630
    17 years ago

I really enjoyed those pictures, pvick - I always love it when you show us your plants - You are a great gardener - Carrie

• threedognite
    16 years ago

PV
    It's amazing how you created your own Garden of Eden in The "City"!
    There is one picture I think is particularly lovely; (the 10th one down) with wispy white and lavender flowers and one with pink petals in the middle. Can you tell me what those flowers are? All of your pictures are stunning. Can't wait to see your pictures for this year.

3dognite/pam

• PVick
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks again, all!

Pam - the white flowers in the picture are clematis 'Sweet Autumn' (not WSed); the one in the middle is burgundy gaillardia (fall-sown in 2004 - bloomed for months and months in 2006) and the flowers in the foreground are sedum 'Neon' (again, not WSed).

PV

Sponsored
Prime Custom Kitchen & Bath
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars43 Reviews
DC Metro's Award Winning Custom Design, Build, and Remodeling Company