Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dem_pa

Few Winter Sown Photos

dem_pa
13 years ago

My grandmother's name was Daisy. Shasta daisy and blue flax.

{{gwi:340830}}

Mixed columbines.

{{gwi:340831}}

Johnny Jump Ups.

{{gwi:340833}}

More columbines.

{{gwi:340834}}

Chives.

{{gwi:340835}}

Don

Comments (23)

• floodthelast
    13 years ago

Wonderful pictures, some of my favorite colors too.

• clarejoe
    13 years ago

beautiful!

• deanna in ME Barely zone 6a, more like 5b
    13 years ago

I just love that blue flax!

• northforker
    13 years ago

Was the blue flax a 2010 WS or a 2009 WS? My 2010 are so tiny still, sitting in the beds not growing much yet......

• dem_pa
    Original Author
    13 years ago

The blue flax was from 2009. I winter sowed more this year. I want that spot to look blue next year. Plant them close (HOS) so they hold each other up.

Don

• PVick
    13 years ago

Wow, the blue flax and daisy against the backdrop of the tree is gorgeous!

All so pretty!

PV

• prairiemoon2 z6b MA
    13 years ago

Very pretty plants! Love that mauvy columbine! The daisies are so cheerful too.

Thanks for posting.

• pitimpinai
    13 years ago

They are absolutely beautiful, Don. Love the Johnny jump up and the Columbines. The colors are to die for.
    Thank you for sharing them with us.

• token28001
    13 years ago

I absolutely love those blue columbines. Be sure to save seeds. :)

I had a nice pale blue one this year. It turned nearly white as it aged. And I thought it was unique. Yours is stunning.

• GawdinFever
    13 years ago

Just gorgeous, Don! I just love the last three!
    Where did you get the seed for those columbine? Do they come true from seed??

• didzgarden
    13 years ago

Thanks for the pictures of the blue flax. Mine are itty bitty too. This makes me look forward to next year!

• dem_pa
    Original Author
    13 years ago

prairiemoon2 and gawdinfever email me your address and I will send you columbine seeds from last year.

They do cross pollinate.

Don

• loisthegardener_nc7b
    13 years ago

Beautiful!

• velsgarden
    13 years ago

Ohhhhh,I would love some of those blue columbine!!!

• lgslgs
    13 years ago

The daisy and flax combination is just gorgeous. :)

Lynda

• pippi21
    13 years ago

Oh, those two tone columbines are beauties! I had some two tones too, but can't think what colors they are..without going outside and looking. I think they were called McCann's Giants..does that make sense? I have some Clementine rose and blues too. I have them planted in the flowerbed in front of living room window that gets the afternoon sun. I read where they do better planted in shade. I don't have much shady area. Maybe when I get all these hydrangeas dug up/cut down, that will be a good bed for them to be transferred to. Won't happen until the Fall though.

• pippi21
    13 years ago

Don, those Johnny jump-ups are unusual color, do you recall where those seeds came from. Mine are lighter colors.

• dem_pa
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I may still have the commercial pack I bought five years ago. It was called Helen Blount. The cover showed yellow with the purple. You can seed what I have and they are all that color.

Don

• pippi21
    13 years ago

Helen Blount is name of Johnny Jump ups or those two toned blue columbines? columbines are so easy to grow and they do reseed..big time.

Token, did you plant the ones I sent you yet? What about the zinnia seeds? My zinnias have been so pretty, in fact, they are hanging over the sidewalk and I cut the blooming ones off of one bush and took up to my neighbor as I had not had the opportunity to visit her since we came out of hospital.

I must have sent you the deep purple ones(called Violet Queen) because all of mine have showed up like a majenta/rose color. They are supposed to be called Dream and be a lighter lavender but they are not as pkt. photo shows, but I'm not disappointed, just surprized that they was so much difference in color than the pkt. showed. They have outdone themselves. Still have another bush that is loaded with blooms. I saved the dried up seeds as I clipped them off and labeled them for 2011.

• pippi21
    13 years ago

Don, Thanks for the seeds..a big question on the Johnny Jump-ups. Instructions from the Stoke's seed catalog are confusing and I wonder if you wintersow yours in milk jugs or inside "under lights?" If I'm understanding what I am reading on page 76, Pre-chill for 24 hrs. prior to sowing; sow into 1/8 inch trenches, press seed into soil and cover lightly with a dusting of fine soil. Cover seed flats with black plastic or newspaper. Keep seeds without light until germination. Choose a cool shaded area out of direct sunlight and you will not cook the seed under plastic.
    Last year I know I WS one container of JJ-up's and planted the HOS out and I don't recall going through all of this. Maybe these directions are for WS "under light" If you sow in the milk jugs and you cover the seeds with black plastic, how are you going to watch for germination if the jugs are covered in snow? Doesn't make sense but sometime my reading disability gets in the way of me comprehending what I am reading.
    Would like to know how you WS your johnny jump-ups. I don't want to waste these precious seeds.

• virginialily
    13 years ago

These are very beautiful, thanks for sharing. :)

• ladyrose65
    13 years ago

Beautiful Pictures!
    I ordered some Chive seeds. When did you WS your Chives?

• dem_pa
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Planted 1-21-10. Perennial. I usually plant most of my perennials in Jan/Feb here in Zone 5.

Don