Return to the Winter Sowing Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Can you identify this one

Posted by susan926 zone 5 Illinois (My Page) on
Fri, May 18, 07 at 22:42

Hi I winter sowed this last year, do you know what it is? Thanks, SUSAN

Image link: Can you identify this one (58 k)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Can you identify this one

I beleive that is Sweet William....nice bunch too. I can hardly wait for mine to bloom.

Bonny

o

• Posted by nurmey 5 Omaha, NE (My Page) on
    Sat, May 19, 07 at 11:08

I second the Sweet William.

o

I'll third that :D

My SW just started blooming yesterday...same color as yours :D
This is it's 2nd year to bloom for me on 3rd year plants. Ya know they really are biennials, but if you go ahead and deadhead some of your SW before they go to seed they'll be back for another year. That's what I read and all of mine did come back!

Vera

o

Yes, Dianthus barbatus. Sow some more this year. Direct sow as the seeds ripen. You'll get some to bloom next year. If you wait until winter wo sow them, you'll have to wait another year to see any blooms.

o

Thanks guys - you are the best:)

o

You are in for a treat! So fun to harvest the seeds too!

o

It is neon purple dianthus. Parks sells this one. I grow it too and love the knockout color of the blooms!

GGG

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Winter Sowing Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here