Return to the Winter Sowing Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Northern Illinois Plant Swap, May 2007

Posted by pitimpinai z6 Chicago (My Page) on
Fri, May 11, 07 at 22:56

Here is the ID of some of the plants swapped yesterday:
1. Primula primrose NOID-purplish fuschia color with yellow eye-6" tall- came from my neighbor-best in part shade will wilt terribly in full sun-blooms early May in my garden at the same time as late spring bulbs & annual forget-me-not:
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket
2. Hydrangea arborescens Annabelle- a native found in Anna, Illinois soft wood shrub 4x4, sun or shade or anything in between-blooms both on new & old wood-white flower heads grow bigger as the shrub ages-flops terribly because the stems are too thin for the flower heads-will suckle gently after ~10 years. I leave the flower heads on the plant for winter interest:
3. Narcissus Tete-a-tete a miniature Daffodil early bloomer ~ 8" tall very dainty yellow flowers usually 2 on a stemvery pretty with Scilla sibirica full sun:
4. Coreopsis verticillata tickseed a native yellow flower blooms all summer long ~18" tall-full sun-does spread-the plants you got are barely breaking dormancy so the leaves are not very long the roots are yellow if you wonder which one this plant is-you got a lot of annual hitchhikers with this plant (Larkspur, Euphorbia marginata & Rudbeckia hirta) because I broadcast a lot of leftover seeds on top of the patch:
5. Echinacea purpurea Common coneflower native 4-full sun-Goldfinches love the seeds:
6. Lamium maculatum-Dead nettle-this could be Pink Nancy-soft pink flower from spring until hard frost-best in shade-very easy to grow from cuttings-a beautiful groundcover:

Ill post some more photos as I take them. Hope this helps. Thanks, stage_rat for the wonderful suggestion.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Northern Illinois Plant Swap, May 2007

7. Eryngium Sapphire Blue long taproots 3 1/2" tall- full sun - well drained soil original seeds came from Johnnys Selected Seeds-will self sow, but not awfully fast:

8. Nepata moussini cat mint full sun well drained soil 10 12" tall self sows shear to the ground after the first flush of bloom to encourage reblooming:

9. Knautia Melton Pastels 2 ' full sun/part shade allow room to appeciate the shape of the plant self sows quite prolifically-mother plant came from Bluestone Perennials:

10. Solidago Fireworks full sun 4 tall will behave for the first 3-4 years then will spread very late bloomer in fall:

11. Achillea ptarmica Angels Breath 16 10" tall full sun-well drained soil-blooms look like oversized Babys Breath does get powdery mildew if not well watered:

12. Leucanthemella serotina 3 tall full sun white daisy flowers Original plant came from Bluestone:

13. Iris sibirica Siberian Iris - dainty butterfly-like deep royal blue/purple flowers 4 full sun best in moist soil, but will also perform well in dryish soil:

14. Helianthus maximilliani perennial native Sunflower very late bloomer grows up to 12 tall in rich soil will benefit from shearing down half the size in spring or early summer:

o
RE: Northern Illinois Plant Swap, May 2007

Thank you thank you thank you!! :)

Nearly everything is perking up nicely, I'd potted things up until I could figure out what it all was. :D A few I'd remembered, or looked up from your list, I already have planted. :D

I even got Giles to let me put in new bed space in the (taa-daa) Front Yard!! so I'd have room for all the newcomers. :D

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Winter Sowing Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here