Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
pitimpinai

Northern Illinois Plant Swap, May 2007

pitimpinai
16 years ago

Here is the ID of some of the plants swapped yesterday:

1. Primula  primrose  NOID-purplish fuschia color with yellow eye-6" tall- came from my neighbor-best in part shade  will wilt terribly in full sun-blooms early May in my garden at the same time as late spring bulbs & annual forget-me-not:

{{gwi:341113}}

2. Hydrangea arborescens ÂAnnabelleÂ- a native  found in Anna, Illinois  soft wood shrub  4Âx4Â, sun or shade or anything in between-blooms both on new & old wood-white flower heads grow bigger as the shrub ages-flops terribly because the stems are too thin for the flower heads-will suckle gently after ~10 years. I leave the flower heads on the plant for winter interest:

{{gwi:341114}}

3. Narcissus ÂTete-a-tete  a miniature Daffodil  early bloomer ~ 8" tall  very dainty yellow flowers usually 2 on a stemÂvery pretty with Scilla sibirica  full sun:

{{gwi:341115}}

4. Coreopsis verticillata  tickseed  a native  yellow flower blooms all summer long ~18" tall-full sun-does spread-the plants you got are barely breaking dormancy so the leaves are not very long  the roots are yellow if you wonder which one this plant is-you got a lot of annual hitchhikers with this plant (Larkspur, Euphorbia marginata & Rudbeckia hirta) because I broadcast a lot of leftover seeds on top of the patch:

{{gwi:341117}}

5. Echinacea purpurea  Common coneflower  native  4Â-full sun-Goldfinches love the seeds:

{{gwi:341119}}

6. Lamium maculatum-Dead nettle-this could be ÂPink NancyÂ-soft pink flower from spring until hard frost-best in shade-very easy to grow from cuttings-a beautiful groundcover:

{{gwi:341120}}

IÂll post some more photos as I take them. Hope this helps. Thanks, stage_rat for the wonderful suggestion.

Comments (2)

Sponsored