Return to the Winter Sowing Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Squash Blossoms

Posted by msmisk NTX8 (My Page) on
Sat, Jun 30, 07 at 0:58

Pink banana squash. The blooms are so pretty, I'd grow them even if the fruit wasn't so delicious !
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Four O'Clocks & Zinnias - I've never actually seen an open 4:00 bloom. They always just look like buds to me.
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Bishop's Weed, I mean, Flower
a href="http://photobucket.com" target="_blank">Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Squash Blossoms

I've been told that in some cultures squash blossoms are a delicacy - I don't know how they are prepared, but yours are lovely. Glad to see what my 4 o'clocks will look like. I got them in a trade, WS'd them for the first time this winter. Is Bishop's Weed the white flower? Is it the same as Queen Anne's Lace?
Northerner.

o

Northerner, I've heard of squash blossoms used on a salad, like a nasturtium, and I remember a friend of mine years ago who deepfried daylily blossoms, so I would think that would work with squash blossoms too. But I've never tried one. I'm just happy to have them pollinate and turn into squashes !

I'm a little disappointed in my 4:00's. I never see the blooms open, even though I check them right up till dark.
They always just look like a bunch of buds.

Yes, the Bishop's Weed is the white flower. The flower looks very much like Queen Anne's Lace, but the plant does not, and I hear it's not as invasive as Queen Anne's Lace. It's not very sturdy and upright, though. All the rain has caused it to flop over.

Carol

o

Northerner, squash blossoms were one of my favorite dishes when I lived in Italy. They dip them in batter (while they are sort of closed) and deep fry them - OH YUM!!

I agree that many veggie flowers are pretty enough for the front border. One of my favs is okra! That'll dress up your garden!

o

I always use the male blossoms in the kitchen. I stuff them with a rice and meat mixture and cook them like stuffed peppers or dip them in a tempura batter and fry them. They are delicious and the male blooms don't produce fruit so you aren't reducing the harvest.
Karyn

o

I love the blooms for squash too...they are gorgeous. So are the ones for eggplant. The eggplant blossoms are a deep lavendar, veined with dark purple.
Nice pictures :-)

Linda

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Winter Sowing Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here