Return to the Winter Sowing Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Where did these come from!....need an ID please?

Posted by becksyard z6 PA (My Page) on
Sun, Jun 24, 07 at 11:00

#1 Supposed to be rudbeckia triloba and it had me going for awhile cause the leaves kind of have that stiff, crispy feel of rudbeckias. But the flower gave away it's little charade. The color is more of a dk. salmon-pinkish-orange. About the size of a quarter or so. Must have sneaked into the seed packet.

#2 Lamb's Ear?? Found as a stray in an established perennial bed. Never grew any, never sowed any and nearest neighbor is 100' away so I don't know how it got here. Has me a little unsure though since it's over 12" tall, not very gray and the 'ears' seem too big, some are 8" long. I thought lamb's ear was shorter, grayer with short ears.

Image link: Where did these come from!....need an ID please? (59 k)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Where did these come from!....need an ID please?

not sure what the first one is - but the second looks alot like sage ( tri color I believe )

o

Could the first one be some type of Zinnia?
The 2nd looks like a Salvia to me too :D

Vera

o

• Posted by remy 6WNY (My Page) on
    Wed, Jun 27, 07 at 12:22

Is # 2 Basket of Gold? Check out the link.
Remy

Here is a link that might be useful: Aurinia aka Basket of Gold

o

I think I've ID'd the second as common mullein. I did think of zinnia for the first one but the flower just didn't seem right. Of course, it could just be one I'm not familiar with. Will have to wait and see, the seeds will tell for sure.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Winter Sowing Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here