Return to the Winter Sowing Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
WS Pictures June 7th

Posted by wrichard z5 NH (My Page) on
Thu, Jun 7, 07 at 14:20

Things are starting to look beautiful in the yard now....

Before, on May 3rd:
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Now, on June 7th:

closeups of further bed:
I planted things very closely for a few reasons...
1. many plants die, 2. I can always transplant them later if needed, and 3. I like full beds.
There are many zinnias, sunflowers, flax-linum, bachelor buttons, poppies, asters, and more. Just about all plants were winter sown.. The exceptions are the rose of sharon bush, and other bushes.

Winter sown (last year) Columbine and not-WS Clematis:

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: WS Pictures June 7th

You're so right, things are looking very beautiful, and I look forward to seeing all your babies in bloom.

Mary

o

Oh, nice! Can't wait to see that bed in bloom!

And that clematis-columbine combo is superb!

PV

o

What a difference a month makes!
I can't wait to see what it looks like in July :)

o

Please post updated versions. Thanks for sharing. That's a gorgeous garden. Can't wait to see what's it like in a few weeks.

o

That WS bed of perfect babies is so nice to see! I can't wait to see it mature!

o

Here is an update. These photos were taken from July 5th to July 11th. My plants have grown so much in the past month. Take a look. It no longer looks like a plastic knife (my plant markers) cemetery anymore.

front garden made this year...

Holly Hocks in back yard...

Malva Zebrina. I just transplanted these because I thought they were nasturtiums and I had them in my vegetable garden. What a delightful surprise!

o

It's nice to see how other people do their planting!
I'm with you on the "full beds". I'd rather have to pull things out, than fret that I didn't put enough in them.
That one bed is going to be a knockout in a few weeks!

Linda

o

Flower bed really looks great. Don't you just love that malva zebrina? This is the first year I've had it growing and I'm hooked.

o

I love your pictures. Thanks for sharing with us. I can't wait to see them all in full bloom.

o

Your beds look great. I even love looking at it just planted. So healthy and cute and so full of promise. Its looking good now, but I have a feeling that in about 3 weeks it's gonna knock your socks off!

o

• Posted by pvick z6B NYC (My Page) on
    Wed, Jul 11, 07 at 23:11

That bed is really looking good! Love the colors. And what a pretty zebrina! I got hooked on them a few years ago; tried a different malva this year, but I'm missing my zebrina. Another malva for sheer flower-power is 'mystic merlin'.

The red hollyhock is gorgeous - hmmmmmm ........

PV

o

Great job!

Is that Maltese Cross behind the gorgeous Hollyhock?

o

Beautiful....what clematis is that though?

Michelle

o

Thanks everyone.

highalttransplant, That's sweet william behind the hollyhock.

shellva, I'm not sure what clematis it is, but it is an early bloomer. I wish I knew.

I'll try the mystic merlin next year.
thanks.

o

Very pretty, writchard. What a difference!

Karen

o

Thanks for the update....
I agree it was looking pretty good even at the very beginning!! Your red Hollyhock looks like my 'Indian Summer', now in it's 3rd year; bloomed the first year too :D

Vera

o

Lovely! Just lovely!

o

Very very pretty - I love seeing the progression through the summer - keep the pictures coming :).....

Lynne

o

What a pretty bed. I think you did the right thing to put so many plants in it. Especially since many are annuals. I am waiting for the Sunflower pics. :-)

o

Your flower bed is beautiful. :-) I also like the backdrop very much.

o

wrichard and shellva, that clematis is Nelly Moser... I have it in my west wall and it really is gorgeous.

http://www.gardenaction.co.uk/plantfinder/clematis 'Nelly Moser'.htm

o

Thanks for posting your photos.Your beds look really good.I love to see the month by month changes of a garden area as it goes from looking empty to full of blooms.How do you get your clematis to bloom like that.I have that same one and a few others that has one or two straggly vines on a trellis with a bloom or two.I long to have one that looks like yours.
moonphase

o

Your flowers look beautiful. What a difference in a few months.
Karyn

o

GORGEOUS!!! Love the rock border too. :)

o

bulletz64, Thanks for the ID on my clematis.

moonphase, I'm not sure how I got my clematis to bloom like that. This is the first year that I had such a beautiful show with them. It is at least 5 years old, and struggled to survive for many years. This year, I put the trellis in behind it (it was on a tiny 3-4foot thing before), and I fertilized it quite a bit in early spring. I think I used some extra Agway organic lawn fertilizer. The dead-looking branches started growing new leaves, and it just took off.

I'll update later with photos.
Thanks for all your compliments. I couldn't have done it without all the info and support from this forum.

o

Very nice!!

I do have a painful case of hollyhock envy though.

o

Amazing and beautiful transformation!

Carrie

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Winter Sowing Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here