Return to the Winter Sowing Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Sweet!-

Posted by not_a_contessa z6PA (My Page) on
Thu, Jun 7, 07 at 14:22

Williams, sowed last year, thanks to seeds I received a few years ago from Alberta, which I saved and finally got around to planting. The picture isn't the greatest, but the flowers are spectacular, and the fragrance is wonderful. Thanks a million, Alberta, I am truly enjoying them.

Mary

Image link: Sweet!- (60 k)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Sweet!-

Those are beautiful!! My sweet williams are just about to bloom! I can't wait!

Wendy

o

Those are pretty!!

I don't think I ever want to be without them. I wintersowed mine 3 years ago and they are blooming for the 2nd year. I guess what I was reading about these is true. If you cut them back before they set seeds they will come back another year or more! A few of the seedlings I gave my neighbor came out solid white and solid red. I took cutting from the white ones a few days ago and waiting for roots :)
Here's a pic of one of my faves...
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket
Started blooming on May 25th and is at it's peak bloom today.
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Vera

o

Mary, those are gorgeous! And Vera, the color of yours is sooo pretty!

I grew these a few years ago, but gave all the seedlings away. Then I got jealous seeing how lovely they were in my friend's garden, so I sowed some more for myself last year. They grew so well last year, and most of the winter, but the last freeze got them, so no Sweet William for me this year.

Now I'm doubly inspired to try them again. Think I'll summer sow them and hopefully get blooms next year.

PV

o

Thanks guys, it's soooo wonderful to have things blooming here this year, since I didn't do any WS'ing this past winter. I have been able to enjoy the fruit of my past years, enjoying the perennials and biennials as they bloom.

My one and only lupin plant put on a nice show for me this year, too.!

The lilac bushes were lush, and now the astilbe are getting ready to put on their show. I imagine the daylilies will follow along shortly, as well as the black-eyed susans and echinacea.

Mary

o

Beautiful. I think it should be in everyone's garden. I love it too. Have it in may garden for years now.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Winter Sowing Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here