Return to the Winter Sowing Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
My cuties

Posted by pitimpinai z6 Chicago (My Page) on
Sun, Jun 3, 07 at 22:54

Arent these cute?

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

I was able to grow California poppy for the first time ever. Thank you, folks, for sending me seeds You know who you are.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: My cuties

• Posted by pvick z6B NYC (My Page) on
    Mon, Jun 4, 07 at 19:49

Funny, I was thinking about you and your garden today and planned to psot and ask for some pics from you. Well, lo and behold ....

Thos penny blacks are beautiful! And congrats on the poppies!

PV

o

Thanks, PV. And thanks for IDing the Penny Blacks. I was having a great time guessing what these babies were. Lost a lot of early germinators to the freeze in April, but still have a gazillion babies around. WS had opened my world literally.

I need to go check your thread. Do you have anymore new pics?

o

Solana, Thank you soooooo very much for the seeds. The photo does not do this plant justice:

o

Love those Nemophilia 'Pennie Blacks'. Can hardly wait for mine to bloom. My ws seedlings are still pretty small. Also have many perennials that need potting up.
Thanks for sharing.
Bobbie

o

Oh have mercy!! Those Nemophilia are definatley going on the gotta-have list!!

BTW
Sent your postage yesterday morn....thanks again and for your patience :D

Vera

o

Thanks, Vera. Hope everyting is OK for you. I emailed you too.

Look who popped up today:
Ande right next to the California poppy is this guy:
Is this bright enough or what? lol

o

Donn, Look who's blooming:

o

Sat, Jun 16, 07 at 22:23

WOW, pit! That is beautiful - what a great combo!

PV

o

I like them bright sometimes, PV. Thanks. :-) I have a lot of purple/blue flowers in the garden and a lot of yellow foliage. :-)

o

You are great with your combos! I love those colors together.
What is that name of that Rudbeckia?

Vera

o

Everyone's "cuties" are soooo cute!!

Carrie

o

Thanks a bunch, PV, Vera & Carrie.
That is Rudbeckia hirta 'Burpeii'. Donn gave me seeds two winters ago. Only a couple bloomed last year. I got a few more this year.
My annuals have added a riot of colors to my backyard this year.
This is the view looking toward the back gate/alley:

From the opposite angle:

From the back gate looking toward the house. The Clematis climbs up the garage:

I have no more grass:
I don't care if people groan when red Monarda comes up with yellow Rudbeckia. I like them fine. They give a lot of oomph to the garden. lol.

o

Fri, Jun 22, 07 at 1:30

I've died and gone to heaven! All that color! ABSOLUTELY GORGEOUS!

PV

o

Who needs grass? just a waste of space and water and too much time mowing the stuff.

Digging mine up too and those color combos are just beautiful.

Fran

o

Thanks.
My sentiment exactly, Fran. And I did not dig up my lawn. I just papered the entire area and mulch. No digging whatsoever.
I used cardboard and newspaper. Wet it down then pile any organic materials I could find over the paper. I topped off with fine aged wood mulch. Last fall I raked the mulch aside then piled a lot of shredded leaves, raked the wood mulch back over the leaves. Boy, robins went wild this year. They have been digging and displacing the wood mulch looking for worms. lol

o

Beautiful yard full of flowers, Mone. Enjoyed seeing them. My beds are in disarray as I pull plants from established beds to pot up and save for the new bed that I am making in the front yard. I am replacing them with ws babies to make a larger red bed. The ones out front will be mostly pinks, blues, and whites.

Julie (MN) gave me some Rudbeckia Burpeii which is planted near the feverfew that you sent me. Will the feverfew bloom yet this year?

The Pennie Blacks were planted and I was awaiting their growth and bloom. LOL, today I saw a 1/4" bloom on my inch high plant. What a surprise. Guess next year I'd better get them in the ground sooner!

When you make your beds, how long before you can dig in them to plant a larger plant? I have been using Don's instant bed idea which is great for seedlings but run into the sod when I am planting established plants.

Bobbie

o

Hi Bobbie,
Thank you for the compliments. I like my garden. People around here have mixed feelings about it. Most do like it. The colors are vibrant right now, thanks to the annuals that I crammed in.

For established plants, I usually dig beyond the sod to the subsoil, amend the soil then plant. Seedlings don't do as well, because I am too stingy to make a large enough pocket of soil for the roots.
Some of the Feverfew will bloom late this year, but they'll give better blooms next year. Scatter extra seeds too. You'll get a fuller garden next year.

I plant perennials and shrub then direct sow seeds into any empty space between them. That's why my garden never looks the same twice. it's a lot of fun this way.

Try that. You may like it. :-)

o

I have never seen so many plants blooming in one yard..lol. You've done a fabulous job of fitting in a lot of plants and it doesn't look crowded at all, just lush! I really love what you've managed to create. It's very beautiful. :-) pm2

o

This is what I think a garden should be - lots of colour and filled to the brim. Thank you for sharing - I enjoyed it it so much. Several years ago (before I started gardening) I saw an article in a magazine describing how a horticulturist "stuffed my garden with perennials". I showed it to my DH and told him that's what I wanted someday. That's what I'm working towards but you have given me some ideas about doing it - direct seeding between plantings - that's probably the only way to get everything in. Beautiful!!!

o

P-
Your gardens are lovely. I want to thank you for the seeds you sent me in this year. The purple/blue larkspur seeds did very well for me. Lots of beautiful blooms.

Muttilili

o

Beutiful garden and lots of wonderful ideas. Thanks for sharing.

o

Pit!

those are beautiful! I love those red Monadra - do those WS well?

o

How funny!! I've got your Monarda 'Garden Scarlet' blooming right now with BES (and sunnies in another spot)...what's wrong with red and yellow? I love it!! Your yard is like a botanical garden :D

Vera

o

Okay, Pit.
When I saw that walkway, I had to gulp. That is incredibly beautiful! And the circular looking spot with the red Bee Balm and Rudbeckia (that combo definitely is a keeper...glad you stayed with it)
I think I'm dizzy from the beauty. I need a drink of water and a slap in the face...Somebody call the "Garden Envy Police"...lol.

Linda

o

Beautiful!!! But, you know what? It seems that you more northern gardeners have a much greater overlap of bloom times than I do down south here. Am I seeing larkspur in there at the same time as lilies?? And poppies alongside black eyed susies??? Around here there is a progression - the early stuff is long gone before the later stuff comes along. I notice in gardening magazines often that there will be plants blooming side by side that NEVER bloom at the same time here.

So enjoy! What a lovely mixture - wouldn't happen down here.

o

Pit - Wonderful pics of your garden! You have such a wonderful nack of making the colors flow together. I too love the Bee Balm and Rudbeckia together.

Thanks for sharing your pics.

Sandy

o

That is soooo cool! Just absolutely breath taking! I can not believe there would be *anybody* who did not think that was absolutely stunning and ask you to help them remake their backyards into an oasis just like that! I want you to come down here and make my backyard look like that!

Lime

o

Thanks, everyone. Sorry, I forgot to check this thread. :-) The garden is really wild right now. Tall Sunflowers are prominent. Goldfinches lover them. I have so many bees and butterflies this year.

northerner, I got the ideas from some English gardening books. The authors made comments about filling the garden until no mulch is showing. I also have a lot of bulbs in the garden. In fact, each spot is planted 2-3 times. There's a problem with planting in layers, though. My bulbs have multiplied over the years. I have a hard time thinning them out for fear of damaging other plants.

multi lili, Larkspur is a beautiful filler. It is a favorite that's been in my garden for over 20 years. I'm glad you like it.

Yes, I noticed too that plants do bloom differently in different climate. I tried some combinations I saw in books, they didn't come out at the same time at all. My succession is a result of years of experiment. I have tried to fill in the void and get something interesting to look at 12 months of the year.

Columbusgardener, I have seen Monarda volunteers, so I believe it does WS well. Would you like a start, though? I can pull them and send them for postage. I need to thin mine out. I just mailed a box to a gardening friend in Iowa. The plants arrived before the last heat wave. Lucky for her.

To a lot of people, red Monarda and yellow Rudbeckia is a no no. Too gaudy for them. I love gaudy plants. lol. A favorite book is 'Flamboyant gardening'. lol. Forgot the name of the author. Another favorite book is Christopher Lloyd's Colors in the Garden or something like that.

lime, I am spreading my gardening around my neighborhood now. After all these years, some neighbors have gotten used to my "crazy" gardening. Last year, I helped a neighbor across the street plant her garden. Another one received a lot of my WS seeds. This year, I litterally took over 5 neighbors' yard and gave seedlings to 3 others. I am having great time. :-)

o

Next photos you take will be of the neighbors' from the rooftop...and then what? A helicopter for the whole neighborhood? LOL! YGG!

o

I came back for a color fix! Just love your garden ....

PV

o

Wow, absolutely gorgeous!!!! Never too gaudy!!! I love lots of color. You gave me the inspiration to do what I like, not what someone else says to do!!!
Thanks for sharing,
Theresa

o

What a joy to see your colorful garden on this dreary, cool November day.

Bobbie

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Winter Sowing Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here