Return to the Winter Sowing Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Finally ...

Posted by pvick z6B NYC (My Page) on
Tue, Jul 10, 07 at 14:10

... something to show from this year's winter sowing!

Zinnia 'Profusion'

Zinnia 'Profusion'

Melampodium 'Million Gold' (from Linda in KY - finally got them to grow for me!)

Melampodium 'Million Gold'

Balsam 'Peppermint Twist' (should have planted these closer - they're not as full as I thought they would be)

Balsam 'Peppermint Twist'

Balsam 'Peppermint Twist'

Yvonne's Salvia (the lone survivor from a late winter sowing; it's about 10" tall now)

Yvonne's Salvia

Iresine (and golden-eyed grass)

Iresine

Tomatoes (doing great!)

Tomatoes

A bit of a "long view" of my garden - not as impassable as it has been in previous years:

View - 07/07/07

And, just for fun:

NOID Butterfly

You can see all my garden pics by clicking here

PV

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Finally ...

LUSH! Your melipodium is way ahead of my re-seeders. I love this plant. Look forward to it every year!

GGG

o

LOVE the Melampodium!! I haven't tried that one yet, but now I know I need to add it to my wants :D
Your Painted Lady looks to be doing a hand stand on that flower LOL!
Congratulations on your Yvonne's Salvia!! I'm completely jealous now LOL! I've tried twice this year with 0 luck. Better luck next time huh?

o

PVick - very nice - how many floors up are you??? I really do admire a gardener that will face those highrise obstacles to have a garden - Kudos to you :)....

Lynne

o

Love those Zinnias! They must've gotten a boost during the heat wave, huh?
My Zin's are just starting to bloom, but they are awful short. I wonder if they'll get any taller?
My Yvonne's Salvia is about 4 inches tall, a clump of them that I planted out. Since we got rain, it's been growing slowly, but surely.

Love your patio! Nice trellis :-)

Linda

o

I love those flowers and the trellis. The speckled Balsum is adorable. Is that the trellis for your Sweet Autumn clematis? Will it hold the weight? Love the butterflies too. :-) How wonderful. :-)

o

• Posted by pvick z6B NYC (My Page) on
    Sun, Jul 15, 07 at 19:38

Thanks, all!

Vera, so that butterfly is a Painted Lady? I'm seeing so many up here this year! Gotta brush up on butterfly ID! As for the salvia - I treid three pots before I got two seedlings to germ and thrive. Then I had the nerve to give one away. It has grown another two inches since I took the pic above (less than a week ago!), and looks like flower buds are starting. Definitely try again - I think this is one to spring sow.

Lynne, I'm eleven floors up - my biggest problem is hauling dirt and stuff up here. And wondering when the whole shebang is gonna become a courtyard garden! LOL!

Linda - yes, the heat wave sure gave everything a BIG kick start! I should have put both the zinnia and melampodium in bigger pots - they are getting BIG and drying out way too fast.

Pit - that's the trellis for the 'Sweet Autumn'; it's the one in the middle, with 'Jackmanii' to the left and 'The President' to the right. It should hold the weight fine - another trellis like it stood up to Hurricane Teresa a few years back when she blew through here (very diminished, but lots of strong winds and heavy rains). I have the trellis attached to the inside of the railing with cable ties; if it decides to come down, it'll fall on the terrace itself, and not 11 floors down on anyone's head.

GGG - saving the best for last :O) ... I've loved the melampodium too, just have not been able to get it to grow for me before this year. Good to know it grows - and reseeds - in GA. Handy info for when I finally make the move ...

BTW - I'm hoping that this will bring more butterflies up here:

Butterfly Bush

PV

o

Oh yeah, that's what I'm talkin' bout...
That Butterfly Bush bloom is "da bomb"! lol

I have several seedlings of these after Wsing them this year. I'm going to do my best to keep every last one of them. I might have to order pots to do it, but with that picture? Oh yeah, it'll be worth it!

Linda

o

Nice!flowers.Love!the balsam.

o

What is the flower that your butterfly is enjoying ?

o

That's yarrow (achillea), msmisk.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Winter Sowing Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here