Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
token28001

One picture

token28001
14 years ago

Post one picture of wintersown plants that describes your success this year.

Mine.

{{gwi:341929}}

Rudbeckia and Monarda were wintersown 2008.

Comments (24)

• stage_rat
    14 years ago

Very nice, token!

A request for when everyone posts: if you have a "thumbnail for websites" option, could you use it? (My internet is really slow.)

Here's mine, all WS last year or earlier. This is a corner of the veggie garden where I hide deer candy. Click for a big picture.

{{gwi:341930}}

• v1rt
    14 years ago

Beautiful, Tom!

Here is my Feb wsown rudbeckia irish eyes this year.
    {{gwi:341931}}

• ishareflowers {Lisa}
    14 years ago

Great pics everyone! I'm sorry about the pic size, I don't know how to make them smaller. I don't see an option for thumbnail on photobucket.

foxglove and shasta daisy wintersown Feb,08. These have been mowed down by my two puppies, glad I have a pic!

{{gwi:341932}}

Love those irish eyes, mine are still about an inch tall!

Token, the red and yellow rudbeckias are awesome.

stagerat, is that a malva?

Lisa

• lynnencfan
    14 years ago

{{gwi:341934}}

most of these plants are on the second and 3rd year of being wintersown - daylily was a purchased plant .....

Lynne

• lgslgs
    14 years ago

Some of my WS plants from this year:

{{gwi:100924}}

Rudbeckia in front with skullcap to the right of them (and Tennessee coneflowers just out of sight to the left). Behind the rudbeckias are a whole bunch of zinnias from seeds from Paulan70. And to the immediate left of the zinnias, about 20-30 hairy balls plants.

Lynda

Here is a link that might be useful: Large version of the photo

• stage_rat
    14 years ago

Very nice, everyone!

Lynnenc, what is the yellow-blooming plant front and center? It looks like a yellow liatris????

Lisa, yes, on the right is "pink malva" from trade. I like it, and so do the deer. This page still loads for me so I'm super happy! Some photo sites make it easier to do thumbnails than others. My dsl is sooo slow, but I'd have to triple my bill to get something faster.

• dem_pa
    14 years ago

It was hard just to chose one. Today I'm happy with the "Indian Summer" rudbeckia from a trade and winter sowed last year. This year with all the rain it is very tall and loaded with flowers. It sure makes a statement.

{{gwi:341935}}

Don (dem_pa)

• norabelle
    14 years ago

Here's my offering. Thanks for the thread, Token!

Cheers,
    Nora Belle
    {{gwi:341936}}

• shemeows
    14 years ago

Hard to pick one picture, but I am in love with this one, Nierembergia.
    {{gwi:341937}}From July 2009

• token28001
    Original Author
    14 years ago

It is hard to choose one picture, isn't it? Gorgeous flowers and gardens. Keep em coming.

• stage_rat
    14 years ago

Ooh, norabelle, which nasturtiums are those? They look cherry-red.

• sadie2005
    14 years ago

shasta 'alaska', blazing star liatris, coneflower, common evening primrose, white buddleia and barely noticeable echinops and hollyhock!

{{gwi:341938}}

• norabelle
    14 years ago

Thank you, stage rat! I want to say cherry cocktail or cherry surprise or something like that. I will have to go through some of my old seed packets to see if I can find it.

cheers,
    norabelle

• floodthelast
    14 years ago

{{gwi:341939}}
    I think I have hundreds of pics from this year already. :)

• kqcrna
    14 years ago

{{gwi:309880}}

Karen

• castro_gardener
    14 years ago

I just have to ask...

what is "deer candy" ? and why do you hide it ?

and

hairy balls plant ?

patty

• MissMyGardens
    14 years ago

"Deer candy" are plants deer are known to decimate if they find it. Unless you're lucky enough to have an entirely high fenced yard in areas where deer are present trying to camouflage them among plants they don't eat as readily is one way to grow some of these plants. If deer find them the plants could be MIA for the year or at least the first blooms depending on how much of plant deer eat.

Examples: Hosta, roses, hollyhocks and too many more to mention.

"Hairy Balls" is one common name for the plant Asclepias physocarpa which is a type of milkweed. (host plant for Monarchs)

• loisthegardener_nc7b
    14 years ago

This picture does not do these delphiniums justice. They are really a deeper blue, and bloomed twice their first year.

{{gwi:341940}}

Lois in PA

• norabelle
    14 years ago

Just visiting this thread for a taste of greenery!

Karen, your garden is smashing! Is that larkspur or delphinium? The foliage looks "larkspury." Lovely, lovely, lovely!

@ Stage rat--finally have the nasturtium answer: Cherry Rose from Lake Valley Seed. I am planting them again and also have Tip Top Mahogany from LVS to try.

Back to counting, organizing, and reading seed packets to chase the January blahs away. :)

cheers,
    Norabelle

• auntyara
    14 years ago

here's mine
    {{gwi:341941}}
    I don't know what I was thinking planting out so close together. by Aug I had to rip a lot of things out. Live and learn.
    :)Laura

• floodthelast
    14 years ago

auntyara I love your pic. I see you grow the tricolor daisies too. I just loved them last year and collected lots of seed. I hope to direct sow some this year.

• norabelle
    14 years ago

I moved pics around, and broke my photo link from last summer. See if I can post it here again. :)

{{gwi:341942}}

cheers,
    Norabelle

• neverenoughflowers
    14 years ago

Norabelle, I enjoyed looking at your slide show. I also have a wicker chair in one of my flower beds, I usually put a pot of wave petunias on it and they look pretty cascading down amongst the echinacea. Thanks for the pics.

Carol

• norabelle
    14 years ago

Thank you, Carol. :) I have continued to extend the front bed for three years now. I can't decide what to do with the wicker chairs. I like the idea of having something growing all around it, but my success has been limited. However, I think that has to do with my location.

I found a picture of the crazy cosmos I had last year--I think some were close to seven feet tall. Our summer was so cool, they hardly started blooming in September when the frosts took them. :( Maybe this year will be different. :) I have some red cosmos I am looking forward to seeing.

Sponsored