Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_970892

More WS blooms and They don call it 'MG potting mix' for nothing

littleonefb
16 years ago

I took these pics today.

They don't call it Miracle grow potting mix for nothing. This is supposed to me sunflower double dandy, 24 inches tall and "perfect for growing in a pot". Too bad they didn't say what size pot. Started in a 12 inch pot. Moved it ot a 17 inch pot that holds 1 1/4 cubic feet of soil.

It's now 3 feet 4 inches tall, but is branching and has several buds on it.

{{gwi:342030}}

monkey flower burgundy and cream

{{gwi:342032}}

Monkey flower yellow and burgundy still in WS container

{{gwi:342034}}

marigold disco flame, planted out all but these last 3

{{gwi:342035}}

dwarf balloon plant, seeds from my mothers original plant.

{{gwi:342037}}

zinnia pinwheel. only 2 1/2 inches tall and starting to bloom. What happened to 12 inches tall?

{{gwi:342038}}

container of nasturtium peaches n cream

{{gwi:342161}}

cosmos diablo.

{{gwi:342162}}

daylilies in a plastic bag with no drainage hole in the bottom. Got these at the plant swap I had and haven't gotten them in the ground. There are 7 scapes on the fans now and full of buds. Part of me says leave them alone till fall, the other part says if the heat and humidity of New England summers really arrives, they will not survive in the bag. Gotta get them in the ground this weekend.

{{gwi:342164}}

My old plastic birdbath. Won't hold water any more, but works perfectly as a planter. It's duck taped together in lots of places but still works.

In the front are livingston daisy and beside it and in the back are WS mixed petunias. They have grown really slowly this year, but since putting them in the birdbath, they are having a huge growth spurt.

{{gwi:342165}}

Victorian girl with gazing ball. I bought this for my mother for mother's day, but she never got to have it in her garden. She passed away a few months later, never returning home. I used to keep her in the birdbath but the birdbath isn't sturdy enough to hold her anymore. Came up with this idea to display her this year under the birdbath but really need to find a better way as she's hard to see still. The bottom 2 pots have alyssum carpet of snow in them and the top one has alyssum rosie o'day. On the right is a malva zebrina and on the left is a mexican heather.

{{gwi:342166}}

Comments (7)

• vera_eastern_wa
    16 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Oh my that last pic is so pretty!
    I hear ya on the slow petunia....mine are finally doing something. The zinnia have been slow too and like you have some blooming on short plants that are supposed to be 2.5-3' tall...a cutting flower type.

• littleonefb
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Vera,
    check out the pic below. WS petunia bloomin for me on
    July 15th, 2006. Can't believe the difference this year.
    Those dark purple petunias where from seeds I collected from a neighbors. LOL, the petunias where a pale yellow. So much for true to seed, but these where just beautiful dark purple and they didn't spot or flop after the got wet from rain or watering.
    Was looking forward to more of them this year. Collected seeds from them and WS the seeds. Look in this years birdbath and you see the size of the seedlings.

Talk about pathetic looking little things. I hope they bloom before the frost hits as I am eager to see if they will bloom the same dark purple.

Glad to see you posting and all is well.

Fran

• kqcrna
    16 years ago

Very pretty, Fran. I like that Victorian girl right where she is.

Karen

• royy
    16 years ago

My WS petunias are just starting to get a little bit of size. The batch I started indoors under lights are huge. Guess they are not the best WS plants.

Roy

• prairiemoon2 z6b MA
    16 years ago

Everything is looking good there Fran. :-) That sunflower is huge for a pot. How did you keep it away from the critters? [g] Loved the statue with the gazing ball..your nasturtiums are very pretty..are you sure those aren't Alaska? I didn't think any of the nasturtiums but Alaska were variegated. I had Peaches and Cream last year and it wasn't.

The monkey flower is very colorful too!

• lblack61
    16 years ago

Little One,
    I'm not much for ornamental things in the garden--other than plants-- but, Victorian Girl could convince me of having her in my yard. She's awfully pretty...delicate :-)

And my Petunias and Zinnias are both very short this year, for this time of year. The Zinnias that usually get 3-4 feet are about six to eight inches right now. The Petunias are about two inches tall.

Pretty pictures and some nice ideas you have!

Linda

• littleonefb
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Karen,
    I like her where she is too in the arrangement, I just want to have her higher off the ground so her face can really be seen when one is standing up.

PM2, that sunflower is supposed to be 2 feet tall and you grow it in a pot. How did I keep the critters away? I didn't after all. Found it flopped over yesterday morning. Went to check it and those chipmunks peeled the green off parts of the stem and the stem has a partial crack in it from where it flopped over. It's staked now and I'm hoping it will survive. They got another 2 of them that I have in the ground.

For chipmunk control, check out the link below. Don't look at if if you are squeamish though or don't like the idea of killing chipmunks. The water bucket really works, so far 32 tried to swim.

Fran

Here is a link that might be useful: swimming pool for combating chipmunks

Sponsored
Kuhns Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Central Ohio's Trusted Home Remodeler Specializing in Kitchens & Baths