Return to the Winter Sowing Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Do you know the name of this one?

Posted by susan926 zone 5 Illinois (My Page) on
Thu, Jul 27, 06 at 23:53

One more that I do not know the name- is it castor bean vine?

Image link: Do you know the name of this one? (58 k)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Do you know the name of this one?

yes, it's castor bean (not a vine though)
I believe there is a red one called "Carmencita"

perhaps do a google search, and see what you can find

I do know that Castor Bean is VERY poisonous!! Do be careful -the whole plant is poison- I read if it got ground up with food, it could even kill horses-
Once when I was handling the seeds only, my skin starting itching, and my sinuses got 'weird'- it's strong stuff! (at least to me)- they are beautiful though-usually get BIG- of course, animals know to leave it alone -lots of people grow it-

*just thought you should know*

it's really pretty! I like red in the garden

Linda in Louisville

o
RE: Do you know the name of this one?

My husband reacts to Castor Bean plants like you, Linda, but after all the problems we've had this year with voles, they'll be back in my garden next summer.

Susan, if you're worried about the seeds -- especially having a young daughter -- just snip off the attractive prickly red balls before the seeds mature. We have a very long growing season here, but I've found that by preventing my Castor Bean plants from going to seed until very late in the Fall, the plants remain upright longer without staking.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Winter Sowing Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here