Return to the Winter Sowing Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Need help...please! Lavetera or Hibiscus mosheutos

Posted by vera_eastern_wa 5b-6a (My Page) on
Wed, Aug 23, 06 at 15:11

I have a dilema here. I have 2 wintersown Rose Mallow plants, but am not sure whether they are Lavetera sp. or Hibiscus moscheutos!
They have grown pretty slowly this first year, but too me the leaves look more like the H. moscheutos I've been seeing vs.s the leaves of Lavetera?
Does anyone have close up pictures of the leaves for both or one or the other I can compare too?

Thanks

Vera

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Need help...please! Lavetera or Hibiscus mosheutos

I don't have a closeup of my H. moscheutos, but here's a link to a photo of my established plant. Hope if helps ;)

o

Very nice pic!!

Well maybe it is Lavatera I have then...I haven't been able to find a close up pics of the Lavatera leaves in google searches, etc. I can say the leaves have a downy/soft feel and are shaped like big, longer than wide,hearts. Very slow growing. Here is a pic from June and they were no bigger as far as height wise...just bigger leaves up to the point when I moved them a few weeks ago:
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting.
They wilt in the hot afternoon sun (85+ degrees) even with adequate moisture.

Vera

o

Vera,

Do your leaves look more like this...lavatera thuringiaca....http://oregonstate.edu/dept/ldplants/lath3.htm

Or more like this...lavatera trimestris.... www.malvaceae.info/Genera/Lavatera/galleryS.html

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Winter Sowing Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here