Return to the Winter Sowing Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
squirrels with no pity

Posted by motria z5 Chicago (My Page) on
Mon, Aug 7, 06 at 23:11

The nasty vermin in my neighborhood are compelled to dig up every square inch of soil. They especially go for the areas where some foolish human has been digging, watering, or otherwise tending to a little seedling! The attached photo is a collage of my anti-squirrel fortresses for various seedlings - penstemon and dahlia on top.. the last pic is "the one that got away", i.e. a cardinal flower that got torn up despite the milk jug shelter. The worst is now over, but you can imagine what a frustrating time I had back in May and June!

Image link: squirrels with no pity (59 k)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: squirrels with no pity

Yes, the worst is in the spring when the young squirrels tear up countless plants - and I lost a bunch. Some of which I had been growing in pots for over a year :(

They're still eating the pods off my peony bush, I'm not sure if I'm going to have any seeds this year. They're also chewing the buds off the white swan coneflower. But the hardest battle is to come - the tomato games have just started: Home team 3, backyard plunderers 8. And that doesn't count the ones that just have teeth marks. We are working on a chicken wire fence around our garden before they eat or ruin the rest of them, but it's just a deterrent.

Squirrels do not share.

o

I'm glad to know that someone else feels my pain! Good luck with the tomatoes. I always grow a couple of cherry tomato plants because they are not as appealing to the squirrels as the luscious beefsteaks.

o

The wretches dug up my three baby Witch Hazel. Nothing else in the entire bed was disturbed even though it was all planted at the same time. They of course have to pick the one plant that I am most excited about and most upset to lose.

And they did the same thing last year.

o

I saw a squirrel running up the tree by my deck the other morning (their favorite time to plunder my garden), I went out and turned on the hose and blasted him as he scurried up the tree - and he dropped a TOMATO!! But he doesn't feel unwelcomed yet, found 4 more half eaten tomatoes the next day. Fence isn't working.

o

• Posted by motria z5 Chicago (My Page) on
    Thu, Aug 17, 06 at 14:29

Darn them!

Actually, I'm still in the lull between seedling destruction and tomato pillaging. The brandywines are big, but still fully green. Will have to attempt pantyhose-over-the-fruit or some other protective technique.

DH tells me that we should hope the bird flu quickly evolves into a squirrel flu.. heh heh heh. Better them than us, right?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Winter Sowing Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here