Return to the Winter Sowing Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
My All Time Favorite Viola

Posted by littleonefb z5MA (My Page) on
Wed, Sep 27, 06 at 1:06

Hands down this is my all time favorite viola, wintersown this past winter.
Called viola sorbet yesterday, today and tomorrow. Got the seeds from valueseeds.com and thompson and morgan hass them as well.

Has been blooming since mid June growing in full sun, full shade and part shade. Only about 6 inchs tall but has been non stop blooms since it started. Expected the flowers to be shades of blue, but alas, they are shades of lavender and white.

The flowers start out pure white with a tiny yellow eye and some very dark puple streaks coming from the yellow eye. As the flower ages only in the number of days it is blooming, not as it starts to go by, the flowers start to take on a lavender hue. They continue to do this till the entire flower is all lavender. You end up with a plant full of all kinds of colors ranging from pure white, tinges of lavender till the entire flower is pure lavender. It produces lots of seeds too. Plants are still in full bloom and it does perfectly in blazing heat and humidity in New England too.
Can't get anything more perfect than this one. It is labeled "hardy annual"

Fran

center>
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: My All Time Favorite Viola

That's really a sweet little plant, I thought about getting seeds for it but I still have too many viola and pansy seeds that didn't get sown this year. Shame on me.

Enjoy, Mary

o

Beautiful-I will have to put this one on my list!

o

putzer, she is a beauty. Just yesterday I was collecting more seeds and counted 15 variations on different flowers. Still amazes me at how the one plant looks like it is so many different ones all in one pot. Been down in the 30's a few nights and still blooming away, forming pods and collecting more seeds. Not bad for 4 months of blooming from one plant.

Fran

o

What a sweetie!

o

I agree 100% that is it a beauty. Here is mine from last winter - made me smile everytime I looked at it.....

Lynne

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

o

Those are beauties.I have not sowed any but I do like them.I went to Cherokee,NC this past week-end to gamble but when I saw pot after pot of yellow pansies and johnny jump ups,I spent about an hr. collecting seeds..lol.Now I am going to ws them.
moonphase

o

Those blooms are charming! Everyone needs some for their gardens!! :~)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Winter Sowing Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here