Return to the Winter Sowing Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Homeless Cat

Posted by vera_eastern_wa 5b-6a (My Page) on
Tue, Sep 5, 06 at 10:38

This cat (caddy I've been calling her), a medium-long haired orange Tabby was starving and thin as a rail when she came around. She belonged to the people across from us for a very short time before she was kicked out. Apparently the lady who gave her to them said she was fixed and had her shots, ect., but I think she is pregnant! She has been hiding beneath my outside storage unit and was completely scared to death. Everyone thought she just disappeared, because she made herself so scarce. Well I finally spotted her one early morning; 4 am'ish outside watering. I opened a can of salmon, dished it up and stepped back. I fed her the rest of that can over 4 days 2x a day and then hubby bought her catfood which I gave her the regular feeding and a half to get quicker weight gain. Now she is on the regular feeding schedule. It's been a total of 30 days now and she is a healthy bright-eyed cat. We have 4 dogs, 3 that would eat her and Mojo the 6 year old baby would love to play with her but she is sooooooo skittish. She has a routine now...they go out at 6 am and she comes running in to eat, play, love, knap and go back out by noon. The dogs come in to avoid the heat and we do this all over again at 6pm and again at 9pm (she only eats at 6am and 6pm) and then she goes out for the rest of the night. We have finally found her a home with a lady with 2 indoor cats (she is aware Caddy will need a vet check and that we have no idea what shots she's had)who works nextdoor at the copy-rite to where my huband works. She leaves us tomorrow morning! I am feeling quite sad and I think Caddy has become quite comfortable and close to me. But it's for the better good because I can't have her indoors 24'7 when winter comes. At least I have her too the point where she is not so scared and is nice and plump. Yes, the name Caddy derived from "Scardy Caddy" LOL!
Photobucket - Video and Image HostingPhotobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Homeless Cat

Oh, she is so cute. We are nourishing a gray Tom that has shown up at our door. He also, was very thin, but not skiddish at all. We're checking for missing cat ads but so far nothing. I think you are very caring and will miss Caddy, but with dogs you never know!
Daisydo

o

I will miss her, but I just hope the time I spent with her will have a positive impact on the transistion to a new home. She is currently cuddled up in my lap after her meal...snug as a bug!

If only I could win the lottery,

Vera

o

I do love to hear such "happy endings" - I have taken in more than my share of strays, all have proven to be wonderful companions. Thanks for sharing that story.

Anna

o

Beautiful cat - wonderful story and how great you found a home for her.
We also found a young cat five years ago. While I thought she was "plumping up", of course, she was pregnant and had four kittens five years ago August 11th. We spayed and neutered all five of them (done cheaply at a special clinic nearby) and gave away the mother, one of her daughters and kept the other three. We always had dogs and I never realized how attached one can get to cats. They can be so loving and give back so much.

You did a wonderful thing, Vera. You gave the cat so much love that she was comfortable again. Great story.

Carrie

o

She is fortunate to have found a caring person such as you. My daughter saw your story and sends a big hug and a 'Thank-You'!! So do I.

o

• Posted by nurmey 5 Omaha, NE (My Page) on
    Sun, Sep 24, 06 at 11:07

What a lucky kitten. I could go on a rampage about the irresponsible jerks that put her in that position! I'm happy she landed "on her feet" instead of under a car wheel or slow starvation. Way to go Vera!!!!!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Winter Sowing Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here