Return to the Winter Sowing Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
I feel like a voyeur LOL

Posted by not_a_contessa z6PA (My Page) on
Sat, Sep 23, 06 at 16:47

But I just had to post this this pic, it means there will be more egg cases in my garden! One of them has spent the entire summer here in the beans.

Image link: I feel like a voyeur LOL (58 k)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: I feel like a voyeur LOL

Here's lookin' at you kid!

o

OK, so here's my question. I have seen a few young mantis over the summer, but in 26 years living here and gardening I have never seen or found a case. Where do the little ones come from then? and how do I get adults to lay egg cases in my yard?

Fran

o

Thanks, Mary, I'll keep looking in my yard - if I can wade my way through the mess. lol.

Someone was just posting about them eating butterflies, though. :-(

o

Fran, in the past they have left egg cases in my evergreens, but I didn't know they were there. We removed 5 large Yews last year, and that's when I found an egg case. I put it in the safe part of an Arborvitae, and checked it from time to time. Eventually I did see a number of babies that had hatched.

Before I found the first egg case, I had adults in my garden every year. They too may have used the Yews, or perhaps even the Arborvitae, and it really surprises me to find them using the Rudbackia stem this year.

I will have to be extremely careful when I clean up the gardens this fall, who knows where they may have left eggs. I had adults all over the place, including the cucumber vines.

Mary

o

At least someone is getting lucky.....

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Winter Sowing Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here