Return to the Winter Sowing Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Progression of First Year Wsed Garden Part II

Posted by putzer z4 WI (My Page) on
Sat, Sep 2, 06 at 23:43

It seems new things bloom all the time and it is ever-changing!

Here is a link that might be useful: Click Here

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Progression of First Year Wsed Garden Part II

Yum!!

Love the Cosmos pics!!

I see you grew Zinnia 'Envy', too...don't you love them!

I have never had luck germinating the Yellow Datura varieties....no problem with any of the others....yours is fabulous!

I hope your baby bunny isn't enjoying your garden too much...;o)

Also, do you know what variety the Aster is in this photo?:

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

o

putzer...I enjoyed getting a tour of your garden, very much! You had some gorgeous results from your winter sowing. Good job! :-)

o

Webkat5....that aster is gorgeous...I would like to know what that is!

o

Thanks guys-the aster is Aster matsumoto. And the baby bunnies (there were three) are, shall we say, thriving (which means they are enjoying my garden very much)! The great thing is, because I wsed so many things, it doesn't bother me quite as much when they nibble.

o

And....will you be saving seeds from said Aster...wink, wink??

o

If it has time to make seeds and the birds don't get 'em first, I can....wink wink lol

o

Your flowers are awesome and your photos are wonderful.

o

Your datura pictures are AWESOME! I think I may have to try growing them again next year. I sowed some indoors last year under lights and had 4 seedlings, but I guess I didn't let them get big enough before I planted them out because they just "disappeared". Who knows....maybe the bunnies.....I've got tons of them too!

Did you winter sow your datura? Any tips you can give me?

If you saved seed and want to trade, take a look at my trade page....I've got tons of seed.

~Deb

o

Thanks vj!

Deb-

Actually, the datura seeds were planted right in the ground and then left alone. I didn't coddle them in the least bit. I have heard that they can resent transplanting, but am not sure if that is a rock-solid rule. Actually, I never watered mine or anything until I read here on GW that they really need food and regular watering. And here I was thinking they liked it dry lol

Bunnies don't usually eat them-nor deer-because of the fuzzy leaves (not to mention they are poisonous). Believe me, if bunnies had any leaning towards taking a bite, I would have found out. I don't even know how many little litters were born in our yard this year.

I will let you know when I start saving the seeds. I have to take a picture of the double purple datura seed pod-it looks like a purple alien brain lol

o

WOW! very nice!
I love the closeups, some with black backgrounds- they all are so vibrant- and, the closeups from the back of the bloom- very interesting

I love the Datura too

Keep up the good work, and post more anytime :))

Linda in Louisville

o

Wonderful album, so many beauties to enjoy. And that bumblebee, my praying mantis call them "lunch" LOL.

Mary

o

How pretty, putzer. That's a lot of plants in a garden. :-)
Wink. Wink. Wink. Did you collect any seeds of that blue aster? :-)

o

Great pictures! I enjoyed the tour of your wintersown garden!!

o

I DID collect the seeds of the Aster-so if anyone wants to trade, email me please :)

Of course, I can't guarantee that it will grow true since it was planted along with all the other asters....

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Winter Sowing Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here