Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lblack61

Probably the last blooms...

lblack61
17 years ago

Frost is predicted for a wide area Thursday and Friday nights, so this may be the end of blooms for me. But I still have lots of surprise rebloomers and hangers on. It's as if the garden has been telling me, "It ain't over yet!"

{{gwi:343054}}

{{gwi:343055}}

{{gwi:343058}}

{{gwi:343059}}

{{gwi:343062}}

{{gwi:343064}}

{{gwi:343066}}

Comments (14)

• PVick
    17 years ago

You've got a LOT of stuff still blooming! Looking very good.

Maybe the predicted frost will only be a little "nip", and you'll be able to enjoy them for a bit longer!

PV

• trowelgal Zone 5A, SW Iowa
    17 years ago

Very nice. I am so jealous of your beautiful Cosmos and border Dahlias. The cucumber beetles eat mine full of holes. Didn't even do Cosmos this year because of it but have a few border Dahlias that are chewed to bits and ugly.
    So I will say thank you for posting your pretty pictures, your flowers look great!
    Tina

• not_a_contessa
    17 years ago

I will hate to see mine go, too. It's getting closer to frost time here but we have been very lucky so far. Even our foliage change is 2 weeks later than normal.

On the other hand, it's apple harvest, which makes me just jump for joy!

Anyone have a recipe for cider donuts?

Mary

• susan926
    17 years ago

Your pictures are just great- they should hold you through the winter months. I especially like the cosmos & the zinnias. I should post some pictures also. I still have lots blooming as well as my reblooming daylilies. All my fruit trees have been harvested- the pears finally softened up with the help of a brown paper bag. I jsust started a painting of pears today will post a picture when its done. Susan

• putzer
    17 years ago

Very nice-love your dahlias! Where did you get them? The colors are exquisite.

• albertar
    17 years ago

Love those cosmos, they are beautiful!
    Alberta

• tiffy_z5_6_can
    17 years ago

Those cosmos are nice!

Still have some things providing splashes of colour here too... Calendula, Black eyed Susans, Nasturniums, Coreopsis, Allyssum, Hardy Geraniums, Anemones, Joe Pye Weed, Snapdragons, etc.

I can relate to what you're saying about the foxgloves. Mine are sending up flower shoots and I hope they have time to bloom before the cold moves in.

I even had Clematis Claire De Lune climb over the deck to say hello! It's never grown this tall (10 feet) or flowered in the fall.

{{gwi:343067}}

• lblack61
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Thanks for the compliments, although I feel like the accidental gardener. The Dahlias were all reseeders, and so were the Cosmos. I'm glad they did, because they cheered up some otherwise ugly spots in the yard. And the Zinnias, well, they prove why I say I will never go a year without Zinnias. As cold, wet, and windy as it has been over the past two months, they are still holding their own.

(--Susan, you paint!! So do I :-). How was your move, btw (you did move this summer, right?)--

I think it'd be great if everyone posted what they have blooming now. It's so cheerful to see other people's flowers :-)

• dirtysc8
    17 years ago

Wonderfully cheery flowers! Thanks for sharing~

• lblack61
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Here's some things that weren't WS that, as of Oct 1st, and even yesterday, were still blooming:
    {{gwi:343070}}
    {{gwi:343072}}
    {{gwi:343073}}
    {{gwi:343076}}
    {{gwi:343078}}

• littleonefb
    17 years ago

lblack61
    Your pics are just beautiful, now tell us all what camera you are using to capture such perfect color.

Oh, yes, those cosmos will probably bloom well beyond the first frost. 2 years ago we had 6 inches of snow around the 14th of Nov. and my cosmos where still blooming with snow on them.

Fran

• shirley1md
    17 years ago

Such beauties both wintersown and not wintersown!

• lblack61
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Fran,
    I have a Fujifilm FinePix 2600z which I is an older generation digital camera. Sometimes it screws up colors (like that one dinner-plate dahlia should be dark purple, not red), but, it works pretty good. Thanks for the compliment :-)
    Things are still holding strong in the yard. Seems we've been getting heavy dew instead of frost. My FIL lives down the road and around the corner, and he's been getting frost.

• vera_eastern_wa
    17 years ago

Pretty colors :D

You'd be surprised at the flowers still going after frost! My Petunia this year never looked as good in the summer :D

Vera

Sponsored
Hoppy Design & Build
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Northern VA Award-Winning Deck ,Patio, & Landscape Design Build Firm