Posted by susan926 zone 5 Illinois (My Page) on
Sun, Nov 25, 07 at 23:28

Here is a picture

Image link: triple purple Datura (57 k)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: triple purple Datura

Susan,

That is beautiful! Did you plant it this year? I planted a couple of seeds, but they did not germinate. I am going to try again this year.
Jeane

o

Gorgeous flower! Thanks for sharing the beauty.
I will be sure to plant my seeds next year.

o

Actually I wintersowed the seeds in the spring - like in April and they did great just not many seeds were produced.

o

• Posted by pvick z6B NYC (My Page) on
    Mon, Nov 26, 07 at 20:45

Just bee-yoo-tiful!

o

Great picture! It is gorgeous!~Angie:)

o

I start mine indoors under lights and on a heat mat so that they will flower and fruit the same year. It is a long wait till the fruit is ripe enough to harvest here in this shorter season-
I have also successfully overwintered pots of these- I brought the terra cotta planter into the basement so that it wouldn't crack- and who knew- the silly plant put out a few leaves and dropped them- then put out a few more- and kept them on till it was warm enough to bring back outdoors! I had one in the pot for 4 years till it finally died.
In pots, they do not get as big- but they are still quite nice!
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

I only had one pod produce viable seeds this year- and I did not get the plant indoors in enough time to overwinter, so unfortunately I do not have a wealth to share-

The yellow one went gangbusters in the garden bed though-

So did "Belle Blanch"- A truly large flowering single that eats up space quick!

This one is just opening in the evening...

Oh gosh- I miss green already....

Julie

o

Gorgeous! I got mine as a gift June 2006 from the greenhouse at school for a graduation present. Even though these were greenhouse grown I still didn't have enough time to get mature pods!! I was SOOOOOOO bummed!
Photobucket

o

Julie,

When you brought the pot in for the winter, did you water it at all during the winter? I've got some seed I never sowed from last year, so I'm going to give them a try this year. If I can get them to overwinter, that would be a great bonus!

Deb

o

Susan & Julie absolutely stunning...I thought the purple datura can only be grown in zone 9. Where can I get some of those seeds? My sister has a white datura.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Winter Sowing Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here