Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
manda3

Zone Wars!!!! Official Container Count for 2010/11 Part 2

manda3
13 years ago

Welcome to ZONE WARS!!!!

Rules

1) Please post here as many times as you like with your current TOTAL count.

2) This is about counting winter sown containers, total containers no matter the size, from December 21st 2010 to Spring 2011.

3) Chatting is STRICTLY encouraged. :P

FAQ

How To Count Containers

Each container, no matter the size, counts as one. However, if you feel your container is worth more or less than one, just use your judgment. Say, for example, you have one flat bin full of twenty cups with four different seeds. You can count it as 1, 4, or 20. Whatever you prefer. :)

What Zone To Use

I live on the border of 8a and 7b. I chose 8a because in recent memory, the lowest average temperature reaches 12 degrees Fahrenheit. The record is 0. I went with the average. Your zone is what you believe to be the average low temperature for your own back yard. :)

4= -30 to -20 degrees Fahrenheit

5= -20 to -10

6= -10 to 0

7= 0 to 10

8= 10 to 20

9= 20 to 30
History

Previous Thread

2009/10 Count 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

(Couldn't find the others, but they're out there somewhere)

Zone Wars

Please post here with your current TOTAL count. Happy sowing!

Zone 4 = 8

8 mnwsgal
Zone 5 = 708

~21 adamark

~23 amybeth82

~11 daisydawnny

~15 dirtgently

~~4 edie h

~31 floodthelast

~46 gardenunusual

216 jodie74

~50 judiohz5

~52 just1morehosta

~~5 kvenkat

~~5 prairiemoon2

~44 pvmiscaccount

~21 rbrady

~71 sjc48

~14 skywaitress

~48 snapdragon36

~~6 tempusflits

~12 terrene

~13 TheGirlNtheDirt
Zone 6 = 530

~45 countrycarolyn

126 hostarookie

129 ladyrose65

~43 lois

~60 marie of roumania

~19 moonwolf

~13 suecirish

~38 tepelus

~39 terryj09

~18 ymaddox
Zone 7 = 442

152 corrine1

~32 ldsluder

203 meadows

~13 rane grow

~~7 rosa crazii

~35 tomva
Zone 8 = 179

99 clc70

42 firsthouse mp

19 manda3

~1 river crossroads

18 silver cat

Comments (150)

• sjc48
    13 years ago

Thanks, Gardenweed. May 1st sounds good to me.

• just1morehosta
    13 years ago

5 more for zone 5,making mine now,a total of 70.
    I need more containers.
    cAROL

• adamark
    13 years ago

Another 31 for a total of 121 for zone 5. I started using drinking cups, that's why is growing fast. But there is still decent number of 2 l and milk jags.

• saravancouver
    13 years ago

total around 105 so far, zone 8
    (50 milk containers, 20 large styrofoam grape flats, 20 wicker baskets, 15 clear grape containers).

The following have sprouted so far: bachelor's button, purple tansy, africa daisy, tricolor daisy, farewell to spring, mixed wildflower annuals, mixed wildflower perennials, gazania.

Thanks

Here is a link that might be useful: vegetable gardening

• river_crossroads z8b Central Louisiana
    13 years ago

Great, Sara, go zone 8! On the link you gave us I searched for "Vancouver" & see carrots, watercress, Chinese mustard & the enormous hairy cucumber. Are these all yours? They look beautiful & I have bookmarked the site to study later - concise info on easy to grow veggies, inspiring!

• ladyrose65
    13 years ago

Add 7 for me making a total of 136 for zone 6

• dirtbert
    13 years ago

dirbert 59 containers for zone 4

not a bad start :)

• daisydawnny
    13 years ago

Add another 73 for zone 5!!!!!!!!! Running total 92. Been a busy day! (It's about time I get off my butt and get busy!)

• cab321
    13 years ago

Another 31, bringing my total to 81 here in zone 5. I've started going with gallon bags all the way now. I think they're my favorite (we'll just have to see if they grow out as well as the others).

• faunus
    13 years ago

I did eight more instead of 6 more, bringing my total to 20.

I have to ask, are you all wintersowers crazy, like OCD crazy, or do you have 85 acres of bare land you need to plant? I mean seriously, 216 & 203 containers? Where is all of that going to go? Are you landscapers or something?

• dorothy4981
    13 years ago

Good evening Faunus, so happy you asked. Meadows - Zone 7, 255 containers here to respond.. Yes, I am crazy, have one acre of "no landscape" property and am not a landscaper. Had the blessing of building a new home and have he blessing/curse of starting over. I have never wintier sown before but I am at ready for each seed so lovingly planted germinate.

• mrs.b_in_wy
    13 years ago

27 more today for a total of 42 for zone 5.

I should have followed hostarookie's lead and looked for the giant, economy-size bag of mix. All HD had was the 32-quart bags, most/all torn open, so I'm out of dirt again. I scrounged the woodshed and garden shed for containers for today's plantings since I got exactly nothing from the recycle bin at work. So, out of containers again, too.

The weird thing is I'm also down to 10 unplanted seed packs. Does that ever really happen? Maybe I've been more careful this year about not buying/trading for everything on my wish list. Maybe there's a stash of seeds under a stack of bills. No matter. After going to Lauren Springer Ogden's presentation yesterday, the wish list just went crazy again :)

• saravancouver
    13 years ago

hi, river_crossroads , yes, the carrots, watercress, Chinese mustard & the enormous hairy cucumber are all my veges growing in my backyard. The watercress and chinese mustard are still alive even with few times snow here. The hairy cucumber only grow in summer time.

• serenae
    13 years ago

Faunus - In my case, although my yard barely has anything planted in it, it is smaller, so I think for me it's a matter of "my eyes are bigger than my stomach". ;) I think I'm not quite picturing just how many plants I will have to find homes for in the spring! I'll be sowing close to 200 containers.

• faunus
    13 years ago

Meadows - thanks for responding. I am SOOO JEALOUS that you have an entire acre to plant. I am doing this for flowerbeds and islands in my sister's yard. She only has a half acre and how I wish I could turn it all into one giant flowerbed.

Serenae - you and I have the same issue. I am starting far more seed than I need, because I fear those seeds that don't sprout and fear losing a bottle or two. However, I am already lining people up to gift the extras too.

This is great. Thanks to EVERYONE who posts here. You've no idea how much I have learned in these forums and not just about wintersowing either.

May your sprouts be as numerous as the dollars of the federal deficit!

• dorothy4981
    13 years ago

Faunus- I only wish that you were my sister! She is so lucky. My guts tell me that I am going to be mighty tired if indeed all these seeds do germinate but when you are 70 you need instant gratification!

I so agree with your thanks to all that post here. I have spent hours reading recent, last winter and last spring's threads. We have some real pros here that are so willing to respond and set us newbies off on the right track!

Best wishes
    Dorothy

• Michelle Worthgold
    13 years ago

I am planting all of these seeds because I was lucky enough to get loads of seeds as a gift for my 40th birthday. I am making a rain garden for my front yard. I am starting to remove evil Buckthorn, ect from my forrested lot in the back yard. My parents have acres and mow at least a quarter of it and are aging so I will plant natives and try to get them to spread. Any left overs go to the schools new butterfly and rain garden. If I could just keep up on my containers. Make the 12 jugs I have begged from people.
    Now on to my 30 day cold stratified seeds.....

• adamark
    13 years ago

Please add another 30 for a total of 151 for zone 5.

• gardenofeden777
    13 years ago

Hi Manda, please add 13 for a total of 13 for zone 8. (13 down 92 to go!) Thanks!

My name is indicative of what I envision for my yard! And I have a loooong way to go.

Rena'

• gardenunusual
    13 years ago

faunus - yesterday my husband tells me most people just garden when the weather is good, and when it's time. *Wintersowers* are like Fantasy Baseball people, but FB are seasonal. WS'rs don't ever quit. They're like, crazy garden nuts or something.

I laughed so hard, as he was tossing his coffee cup and I said, no no no don't throw that out, I need it for winter sowing....

I'd like to be a garden designer someday. Hopefully taking a residential landscaping class in February....

• livsauntieshel
    13 years ago

My total so far: 62 for Zone 6. Woohooo
    gardenunusual- I just started classes in ornamental horticulture! Community college classes...

• hostarookie
    13 years ago

21 more containers for a total of 170.

• gardenunusual
    13 years ago

livsauntieshel - Congratulations! That's awesome! I took the local master gardening class here in my state, and am looking forward to volunteering this year. There is so much to learn, and more. Good for you!

• Iris ( ranegrow ) z7 Maryland
    13 years ago

Got 5 more planted for a total of 44 ;-)

Iris

• wipe_yo_feets
    13 years ago

Zone 7....167 cups, and a good many still on the way.

How am I going to manage the care of all these plants when the seasonal dry spell arrives? I'll have to start giving them away.

• dorothy4981
    13 years ago

Has anyone heard from Manda - It is so unlike her to be offline for so long.
    Praying that all is well with her and hers.

Dorothy

• serenae
    13 years ago

9 more for zone 6! My new total is 54 containers.

• brambleoak
    13 years ago

Add 43 more containers for me here in zone 4. :)

• Orcascove
    13 years ago

ok, so I finally started sowing. I know, I know, I'm WAY behind this year... 8 containers for me today. Zone 6.

• manda3
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I'm sorry guys. I have been sick in bed for days and days and days. /moan /complain /moan /moan. Looks like I've got a huge update to do. Be done in just a moment.

• countrycarolyn
    13 years ago

Sweet manda, I sure hope you get feeling better!! The bug is going around here also. Flu and strep throat!!

If you were here I would get you a cup of warm herbal tea with a high dose of vitamin c and a lot of honey!! YUMM!!

• manda3
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Guys, please check your totals. My fingers kept hitting the stangest keys when I started out. Like somebody had a total of 42 and I kept typing 54. See y'all tomorrow. :)

Zone Wars
    Total: 4074
    Please post here with your current TOTAL count. Happy sowing!

Zone 4 = 185
    118 brambleoak
    ~59 dirtbert
    ~~8 mnwsgal
    Zone 5 = 1722
    151 adamark
    ~49 amybeth82
    ~81 cab321
    ~92 daisydawnny
    ~19 dirtgently
    ~~4 edie h
    ~31 floodthelast
    ~59 gardenunusual
    203 jim49631
    267 jodie74
    ~62 judiohz5
    ~70 just1morehosta
    132 katmatney
    ~~5 kvenkat
    ~42 mrs.b in wy
    ~23 ohioveggies
    ~~5 prairiemoon2
    ~44 pvmiscaccount
    ~50 rbrady
    ~52 rosemctier
    ~71 sjc48
    ~14 skywaitress
    ~86 snapdragon36
    ~10 tempusflits
    ~12 terrene
    ~13 TheGirlNtheDirt
    ~61 worthgold1
    ~14 yellowflowerpot
    Zone 6 = 919
    ~94 countrycarolyn
    ~21 ctcfo
    170 hostarookie
    136 ladyrose65
    ~62 livsauntieshel
    ~43 lois
    ~62 marie of roumania
    ~24 moon458
    ~37 moonwolf
    ~~8 orcascove
    ~54 serenae
    ~39 suecirish
    ~60 tepelus
    ~39 terryj09
    ~37 weebay
    ~33 ymaddox
    Zone 7 = 781
    152 corrine1
    ~20 faunus
    101 ldsluder
    255 meadows
    ~44 rane grow
    ~~7 rosa crazii
    ~35 tomva
    167 wipe yo feets
    Zone 8 = 467
    188 clc70
    ~42 firsthouse mp
    ~13 gardenofeden777
    ~50 manda3
    ~~2 river crossroads---
    ~32 roper2008
    105 saravancouver
    ~35 silver cat

• gardenunusual
    13 years ago

Maybe by this weekend zone fivers can hit two grand?

• brambleoak
    13 years ago

Got a total of 161 for me in zone 4. I would have kept going but I am in need of more dirt and containers! Withdrawls.....

• weebay
    13 years ago

Mine should be 42
    thanks
    weebay

• river_crossroads z8b Central Louisiana
    13 years ago

Manda, thanks for adding the current grand total, looks great! I thought you might be sick with all the cold & rain that we have been having. Hope you feel better.

• sandysgardens
    13 years ago

Please add 80 jugs to Zone 4.

Thanks
    Sandysgardens

• tomva
    13 years ago

Holy smokes,Ya'll gonna have fun digg'n those 20,000 holes this spring,lol,we havnt even gotten to mid feb.yet thats when it really starts rock'n..10 more zone 7 total 45

• ldsluder
    13 years ago

Manda - hope you are feeling better, praying for a quick recovery!!! .. I have done 25 more, for a total now of 126 for Zone 7. Thanks for all you do Manda!!!!

• Marie of Roumania
    13 years ago

89 total for zone 6, please.
    thank you!

• Marie of Roumania
    13 years ago

spoke too soon ...
    97 total for zone 6, please.
    thank you!
    :0)

• countrycarolyn
    13 years ago

I just want to know!!

Am I the only one that checks this thread every time someone post on it??

I am so curious to know who is sowing and how many!! Especially interested in zone 6!!

Whooooooo hoooooooo, lol go Zone 6!!!

• paulan70
    13 years ago

Hello can you please add 32 more jugs for Zone 5. And I am just getting started. Thanks

Paula

• snapdragon36
    13 years ago

Please add 24 to zone 5 total 110. thanks

• Angela
    13 years ago

Add 6 for zone 8, Total 41. :) Black Prince and Jaune Flammée tomatoes!

• skywaitress
    13 years ago

Please add 24 for a total of 38. Thank you!
    I hope your feeling better.

• jlhart76
    13 years ago

Please add 55 for zone 6. I've tried this the last 2 years & had some success, so now it's time to really get with it, right?

• wren1
    13 years ago

hi Im in zone 5 have 27 this is so much fun!!!!

• linda_jo
    13 years ago

zone 7
    13 so far

My first year! Picking up milk jugs from Starbucks this afternoon. They said they would hold them out for me. Thsy don't recycle but put them in trash dumpster. We need to get them ALL!

• jim49631
    13 years ago

30 more for Zone 5
    Jim

Sponsored