Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kate1970_gw

Newbie Questions New to zone 7a and new to ws.

Kate1970
12 years ago

Hello All,

I just moved to Northern Virginia (7a) from Long Island, NY. I am excited about my first year winter sowing but I have a few questions.

1. If someone can suggest a few reputable online seed companies, I'd really appreciate it. I just moved into a 40 year old house with ZERO landscaping and flowers. Put in evergreens and camellias so far in the front and am planning on a few raised veggie/hummer gardens in the back.

2. Will my seeds be okay going from potted soil to my red clay soil? The clay is so hardened & compact that I'm not sure there are much nutrients, this is why I am considering creating raised beds)

3. Can I winter sow in solid white milk jugs vs. clear?

4. Is it too late?

5. This is gonna be addicting isn't it?

I'm sure I'll have a lot more foolish questions in the future, thank you in advance for putting up with me! :)

Thank you for your time! :)

Kate

Comments (4)

• kqcrna
    12 years ago

Hi Kate, and welcome.

1. There are many online seed companies and we all have our favorites. Which seeds are you looking for? Some sites might be better for some seeds but not for others. For basics look at
    cheapseeds.com
    I also like Pinetree Seeds and Swallowtail, Stokes, Rene's, Diane's,

2. Yes, I have clay soil and and beautiful flowers. If your new yard has been neglected for a long time, that soil probably just needs amendments. Adding organic matter improves all soils. Consider applying compost or other OM in early spring. Or if you're creating new beds, consider lasagna gardening.

3. there is a very recent thread a few posts down about white jugs
    http://forums2.gardenweb.com/forums/load/wtrsow/msg012043115355.html?9

4.no, it's not too late. But in your zone, I'd start very soon for perennials and hardy annuals.

Karen

• saponaria
    12 years ago

It's not too late! I'm in your zone but in North Georgia. I've just started winter sowing this past week.

I also have red clay. Red clay is usually high in nutrients but lacking in organic matter. You should be able to drastically improve your soil with adding organic matter. I've found the best way to improve my clay soil is laying down builders paper and or cardboard and then covering with a thick mulch of things like straw, hay, leaves etc. The worms will show up under the paper and start breaking it all down and aerating the hard clay underneath and bringing organic matter into it.

I also do raised beds but I don't want my whole yard raised beds iykwim. With my raised beds I've just had truckloads of landscapers mix brought in. The clay will take some time to improve though. I'm working on improving most of my yard and it's an acre. The soil was worse than average with all the topsoil having been scraped off and not even grass would grow in most places. :/

I've ordered from Diane's, Swallowtail Seed's and Fedco Seeds this winter. Fedco sells more vegetable seeds but I really like their flower and herb selection because they do have some good things and they offer a LOT of seed for far less than the average asking price. So I buy flower seed from them every year when I order my vegetable garden seeds. My plan this year is to start focusing on seed saving though so I don't have to buy so darn much! Good luck with your new yard!

• ssmdgardener
    12 years ago

Hi Kate, welcome to the DC suburbs! :-)

I have mucky, yellow, rocky, compacted clay myself. I found that native wildflower seeds did well in the clay, although they didn't look very pretty! But nothing else will grow in this yucky dirt. I have patches where even Bermuda grass, vinca, or pachysandra won't grow.

There's a seed swap happening in Frederick, MD next month. Let me know if you'd be interested in meeting local gardeners!

• Barbara E
    12 years ago

Welcome to Northern Virginia. A great source of organic matter is composted leaf mulch which is available to residents from Arlington County, Fairfax County, and Alexandria, depending upon where you live. It is usually free although you pay for delivery. The clay around here is terrible and you really need to add organic matter - You could also consider getting your soil tested. Good luck, this is a great place to garden, although you need to be aware that the hot humid summers make for some different challenges than you would have on long island. Barbara

Sponsored
HEMAX Construction Services & Landscaping, LLC
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars34 Reviews
Innovative & Creative Landscape Contractors Servicing VA