Return to the Winter Sowing Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Winter Sowing in San Francisco

Posted by a.shau 8b (My Page) on
Fri, Jan 24, 14 at 3:08

Hi! Wondering if winter sowing will work in SF - it rarely gets below 50-55 degrees at night these days, and we've had some warm days like in the 70s.

Also, we have not had a drop of rain this winter. Ok I think maybe it rained a tiny bit just once in December, but we are currently experiencing a drought. Will winter sowing work here? Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Winter Sowing in San Francisco

• Posted by morz8 Z8 Wa coast (My Page) on
    Fri, Jan 24, 14 at 12:29

What were you planning to sow? Annuals, vegetables, some perennials would still work for you. Those shrubs, trees, perennials that require a longer moist chill before they will germinate might have been better sown a month ago when you could take advantage of your coolest foggiest nights.

You may have to tweak the method others use in colder climates and supply some water via hose. I'm an 8b, but significantly, reliably wetter here and could still have a few nights with frost coming.

o

Hi! I think I was going to try my lavender seeds, but not sure if it's not cold enough for them. I also got a giant pile of seeds from bakemom's newbie project, so I was thinking of trying some of them...

o

• Posted by morz8 Z8 Wa coast (My Page) on
    Fri, Jan 24, 14 at 19:58

Most lavender will germinate with no chill, sometimes helped by a brief chill so I don't think your weather should impede germination for you.

If you have questions on the others of course you can ask here, or also look them up on the Clothiers site - something that indicates 3-4 months at 39F could need to begin in your refrigerator and that's acceptable too. Whatever gets that plant into our gardens.

Here is a link that might be useful: Clothiers database

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Winter Sowing Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here