Return to the Winter Sowing Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
blanket cover enough??

Posted by beachgrub 4 (My Page) on
Wed, Jan 25, 12 at 6:40

Ok, no sprouts here yet but i want to be prepared. When i do have sprouts (please God, give me SOME sprouts this year!) and we are predicted to get a cold snap (really!? More snow? -.-) is it better to move sprouted containers to garage or to cover them with a blanket in place for the duration of freeze? Thanks in advance. 8D

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: blanket cover enough??

It depends what kind of plant it is. If they are tender annuals, I'd say yes. If they are perennials, I'd say no.
WS isn't about coddling your plants. They are to be left out in the environment -just like in nature.

o

It depends :-)

There's no absolute right or wrong answer here. It can vary with
-duration (a few hours? or several days?)
-actual temp (30 degrees or 15 degrees?)
-type of plant (perennials can take more cold than tender annuals)

I've never lost perennials from cold, but I have lost annuals. So now I often give annuals extra protection which might be an extra sheet for a few hours of light frost. But I've also put tender annuals in my garage when the temp was supposed to be below 25 for several days.

And as gardeners, we all have our own tolerances.

Karen

o

What Karen said. Also, you certainly don't need to worry if you don't even have sprouts yet. In your zone, it should be cold enough to keep most seeds from germinating, so they're safe. It's also surprising how much protection the containers provide. And even tender annuals that are wintersown seem to have just a bit more cold tolerance than store bought plants. Try to relax. I promise you will have more sprouts than you know what to do with come spring.

Martha

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Winter Sowing Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here