Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
msmashy

Good choices/combinations for planters?

msmashy
12 years ago

I would like to put together some nice (large) patio planters with my "crop" ... What are some good choices of annuals and even perennials that I can WS that would work well (and/or work well together) in large planters?

Thanks for any ideas!

Michelle

Comments (9)

• pixie_lou
    12 years ago

Where are you located? What works for me here in the Northeast won't work for people in Washington State, Texas or Virginia.

• msmashy
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Oops sorry , I am in NJ zone 6. Didn't realize I had to re-enter my zone each time. Any way to get that to post automatically?

• gardenunusual
    12 years ago

Go down to Member Pages on the bottom of this page, then click on 'edit personal pages, information, exchange lists' and there is a place to put your zone right on there.

Last year I wintersowed convovolus (I don't know if i spelled that right, it's a mini morning glory), toadflax, and captain of the blues sweet pea, those did well in containers.

• melvalena
    12 years ago

Another thing is how much sun will these planters get?
    Are they where you can easily water them?

• msmashy
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Good questions! I will have some in full sun, some in part sun/shade, and some in mostly shade. So, anything goes for your suggestions!
    Thanks!
    Michelle

• beachgrub
    12 years ago

I'm really diggin' (pun intended lol) the veggie/ herb mixed planters. Dill or carrots for the middle surrounded by mixed colored lettuces or nasturtiums and then creeping thyme hanging over the edges.

• docmom_gw
    12 years ago

Msmashy,
    interesting. In your first post your state and zone didn't show up. But in the second one, it did, even though you hadn't yet asked how to make it permanent. I'm guessing some mysterious computer glitch left it out of the first one.

My mom has always done bright red geraniums and white allysum in pots. They contrast nicely. Though, I haven't ever wintersown red geraniums. I like coleus mixes, but they also are tropical and need hot weather to get started. Petunias are foolproof.

Actually, don't listen to a word I say. I can't keep anything alive in a pot. I'm not reliable enough at watering. I count on drought tolerant natives in the ground and a good layer of mulch.

Martha

• msmashy
    Original Author
    12 years ago

LOL Martha, funny message! I actually had manually entered the zone into that post. Now I have it working automatically! I am going to try Ll of the ideas you gave! Thanks!
    Michelle

• pippi21
    12 years ago

Gardenusual...how did that mini morning glory do for you? Did you grow it in a planter or in flowerbed? I had that seed last year and traded it but I keep looking at it in the seed catalogs and wondering wny not try it in a large patio container(pot)? I'm wondering if it would work well in that ?

Sponsored
Innovative & Creative General Contractors Servicing Franklin County