Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
beatrice_outdoors

Questions about newbie packs

beatrice_outdoors
12 years ago

Are there instructions on how to do newbie packs?

-If so, please point me to them.

-If offering, is there a minimum suggested number of packs per offer?

-How do you keep track of who has requested?

-How is a newbie pack different from a general offering?

I don't always know what I have-I collect seeds everywhere (count me as a seed snatcher).

-If you are a newbie do you care if the seeds you receive only have a description or a hand drawing of what the parent plant looked like at the time of collection?

I tend to combine seeds collected from previous years (not a great cataloger). Is this a bad idea, so I do not offer a combination of seeds that are mixed last year with 1 or 2 years old?

I recently found the exchange portion of GW (along with the Conversations portion) and look forward to being able to learning more in this arena.

Thanks for your guidance and feedback!

Beatrice

Comments (2)

• bakemom_gw
    12 years ago

There is no official guideline. I send what I have. It can be 15-30 packs depending on donations. Year 2 seeds don't matter. Posts go to my email. I do not keep records. Seeds are my choice. Newbie v. general offering is really no different. I call the newbie packs b/c there are many common seeds in there.

Packs are labeled as you find them. I leave it up to the newbie to research each plant themselves. That is how you learn.

My project is about quantity. I will send you a ton of seeds, but each newbie must do their own work. Then, everyone is encouraged to post on the forum with questions.

• geekdean
    12 years ago

Let me add, as a recent reciepient of the newbie pack that latin names will help the newbies tremendously. It's a blessing to get new seeds to try but not knowing which particular cultivar you have is confusing when you are new to WS and want to investigate your treasure trove of seeds.

I am thankful that bakemom and all the contributors work so hard to expand the practice,and let me say that nearly all of the seed packs are labeled with their latin name, but I will be keeping a close eye on some of the flats to try and identify them next year so I don't plunk down something that will run wild on me.

just my $0.02
    Dean

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!