Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gardengrl_gw

1st time newbie, long time dreamer

gardengrl
10 years ago

Hi everyone!

I just wanted to share that after dreaming about WS for almost 15 years (yes!), I am finally doing it! My hubby and I moved to Virginia 3 years ago after living in Florida most of our lives. I actually have a printout of a GardenWeb WS post from the 1990s and remember being sooo fascinated with the thought of simply putting seeds out in the winter and having plants in the spring! At the time, I didn't think I could WS in Florida because we really didn't get true winters down there (although we did complain when it got "cold"!). Gardening in Fla is a challenge as it is.

So, after buying a home on 4 acres 18 months ago, I am anxious to start filling in the landscape. So far, I have only WS some columbine and hollyhocks, but have plans for more.

I didn't have the foresight to gather gallon milk jugs, so I got a few 6" deep Rubbermaid tubs (the ones you slide under the bed) and drilled holes in the tops and bottoms. I used medium-sized styrofoam cups (I know..) with holes in the bottom of each just to get me started this year. I'd like to use the large, plastic seed starting cells, but I couldn't find any at this time of the year...so next year.

I have to admit, I'm kinda confused about what to sow at what times. I know things like tomatoes need to be WS a little later, but what about herbs like parsley, catnip, and basil? What about other flowers like tithonia and borage? The seed packets are a little confusing because some say the seeds are prone to rot, so I'm nervous about putting so many seeds out so early.

Can't wait to see what happens!

Comments (4)

• pixie_lou
    10 years ago

Congrats on your new house and all that land to fill with flowers.

I'm in MetroWest Boston. Here I sow perennials in January, biennials in February and annuals in late March. My tender annuals I direct sow in mid to late April. We have a last frost date of late May around here, though I rarely see frost at all in a May.

Since you are in Virginia, look for your last frost date. Perennials and biennials can be done any time, but wait on your annuals until closer to your last frost date. The concern is having tender sprouts freeze to death.

• duane456
    10 years ago

gardengrl---what pixie said and "don't go by what the package tells you". Do a little research on the particular thing you want to plant, and/or find another WSer in northern Virginia and ask questions about their experience.

• blueswimmer68
    10 years ago

Hi gardengrl and welcome to NoVa!

I'm also in the area (Alexandria) and just got started with wintersowing in the past couple of weeks. I started gardening a few years ago and have had good luck starting seedlings in my basement under grow lights but wintersowing sounds so miraculous that I had to try it too.

So far I've done lettuce, spinach, chard, cilantro, parsley, and sweet peas. I picked things that I've had luck with in the early spring (mid-Feb and on) in past years with our normal, warmer winters. These are things that don't survive in the heat of summer so I'm hoping winter sowing gives them an early start. It's a complete experiment this year!

I found a list of what to start when on the blog "A Garden for the House" from NY state and sort of figured everything here could start a bit earlier. Can't wait for warmer weather to see if my milk jugs start sprouting.

This winter has been so abnormally cold that my normal winter crop of red Russian kale and arugula under hoops was killed off, so I am itching to start gardening soon and have some good salads. Totally envy your 4 acres from my little, inside the beltway yard!

• barbe_wa
    10 years ago

Welcome gardengrl! You might want to check the FAQ's for sowing dates in your zone. The link can be found in the intro paragraph at the top of the Wintersown forum page. It was a great help to me.

Here is a link that might be useful: Winter Sowing FAQ's

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting