Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
terrene_gw

Winter Sowing Container Count aka "Zone Wars" 2012-2013 - #2

terrene
11 years ago

This is the second thread in the official Winter Sowing Container Count (affectionately known as Zone Wars).

The count runs from December 21, 2012 - May 1, 2013.

Everyone is welcome to participate! To participate you simply post on this thread the number of containers you have wintersown. You can post daily, weekly, etc. Each time you post, please include your total count so far. For example:
'I sowed 5 more today for a total of 25 containers'.

How To Count Containers:
Each container, no matter the size, counts as one. However, if you feel your container is worth more than one, just use your judgment. Say, for example, you have one flat bin full of twenty cups with four different seeds. You can count it as 1, 4, or 20. The same for a lasagna pan you may plant several different types of seed in. Whatever you feel is right. We wont be peeking over your garden gate to count your containers.

How to List your Zone:
Make sure your zone is listed correctly on your member page so we can place you on the correct 'team'. You can edit your zone by clicking on Member Pages and then click Edit Your Membership Details. You are welcome to use any guide you wish to determine your zone, as well as your own experience. If you are unsure of your zone, this Gardenweb page may help: Finding Your Zone.

If your member page does not list a zone, you must include the zone in your post. For example: 'I sowed 5 more today for Zone 7 for a total of 25 containers'.

If your member pages lists you on the border of 2 zones (such as 7b/8a) you need to decide which team to join for Zone Wars, and include it in your post. Or you can revise your member page and put 7b from now until May 1. Then after May 1 change it back to 7b/8a.

To see the latest count, click on the Container Count / Zone Wars Spreadsheet.

To see previous Container Count threads, click on this list of Zone Wars Threads prepared by River_crossroads. {{gwi:345302}}

Everyone who is winter sowing is encouraged to participate.

Chatting, support, suggestions, and friendly rivalry are encouraged.

Every container counts so join the fun!!

~ Happy Sowing ~

Comments (150)

• lilykit64
    11 years ago

Before Nemo

• lilykit64
    11 years ago

After NEMO ....and 18 inches of snow. This is really winter sowing at its best. Luckily we did not loose our power :)

• midmented
    11 years ago

11 more for zone 6. 43 total.

Here is a link that might be useful: DW's Blog

• dirtguy50 SW MO z6a
    11 years ago

lilykit64, that is WAAAAY cool. Glad the power stayed on.

5 more in zone 6 for a total of 7. woohah!!!

• barbe_wa
    11 years ago

Please add 10 for Zone 8. My total is now 75.
    Thanks

• KH 888
    11 years ago

Got my petunias out. 19 more containers for zone 8.

• docmom_gw
    11 years ago

6 more for zone 5. Total now 17. I'm realizing that I'm missing a whole bunch of seeds. I think I must have packed them away somewhere "safe" and now don't know where they are. I have a list of what I was planning to plant, but I don't have any of those seeds in my box. Time to tear the house apart. Happy sowing.

Martha

• aquawise
    11 years ago

6 more for zone 5. total count 24!

• docmom_gw
    11 years ago

7 more for zone 5! Total is 24.

Martha

• ohiopeppers
    11 years ago

24 more for zone 6, for a total of 96.

Karen

• midmented
    11 years ago

7 more for zone 6. That makes an even 50 for me.

I ran out of milk jugs. Now I'll be waiting on sowing pepper seed in Bus boy containers. How many WS containers does a bus boy container count for?

I'm sure we'll drink a little more milk and I can get a few more outside.

• barbe_wa
    11 years ago

12 more for Zone 8. My total is now 87. Thanks

• river_crossroads z8b Central Louisiana
    11 years ago

Hi Terrene,

Did you get the 40 inches of snow that I have been reading about? So glad to see your post above that you were apparently home safe and sound on Friday night, not stuck in a snow drift on a freeway. If you don't post for several days we will all know that you have lost power!

Lilykit, so glad your power stayed on, you sure got lots of snow. Besides Lilykit and Midmented, I don't see any East Coasters posting after Friday night. Hope everyone is ok and able to keep warm. Sending positive thoughts.

Heavy rain and a tornado watch in my town on Sunday 2/10/13. Tornado damage reported 250 miles east of me near Hattiesburg, MS, 5 injuries. What weather!

• sandysgardens
    11 years ago

Please add 57 more jugs to Zone 4 please. My total sown todate is 96 milk jugs.

Thanks,
    Sandy

• terrene
    Original Author
    11 years ago

~ Container Count / Zone Wars ~

Zone Wars Summary:

Zone 3 . . . . . . . . . . . 0
    Zone 4 . . . . . . . . . 322
    Zone 5 . . . . . . . . 1,437
    Zone 6 . . . . . . . . . 925
    Zone 7 . . . . . . . . 1,033
    Zone 8 . . . . . . . . . 317
    Zone 9 . . . . . . . . . 116

Total Containers: 4,150

Good morning, winter sowers! Hope everybody had a good weekend. Hi River, we got about 24 inches of snow here in metro-west Boston. Some parts of Southern New England got close to 3 feet! I didn't lose power, everything's okay, except there is snow everywhere. We went from nothing to 2 feet and higher drifts and piles. Not sure when I'll see the WS containers again!

Well I'm not sure what I think about this new GW interface. The Titles and clouds at the top of each page look nice - but the Container Count posts, which I spent a lot of time formatting, don't look so nice. A lot of white space and the larger fonts are huge. Also my totals do not line up any more.

What do you guys think? How does this thread look? It seems many websites have been reformatting to enhance their interface on mobile devices. How does this look on a smart phone or tablet?

Click the Container Count / Zone Wars Spreadsheet to see the container count in detail. {{gwi:345304}}{{gwi:345307}}

• midmented
    11 years ago

Email looks great but web entries small on a smart phone

• pghgardengirl
    11 years ago

4more for zone 6. Total 62

• moonwolf_gw
    11 years ago

6 more for me here in Zone 6. My total is now 23.

Brad AKA Moonwolf

• Campanula UK Z8
    11 years ago

OK, we just call it sowing here in the UK but, not wanting to be left out, even though mine are in trays and pots rather than jugs, I have 18 types of sweet peas, 6 lots of delphinium, 4 lots of various digitalis (including Pippa and Polly, lutea, dalmatian white, snowthimbles and purpurea alba), achillea, phlox, dianthus barbatus, 5 types of hardy geranium, aconitum 'Ivorine', a NOID thalictrum (saved from a garden visit) another NOID monocot -I liked the look of the seed heads, Pimpinella, chaerophylum, various roses, browallia, knapweed, scabious, echinacea Bravado, aquilegias (5 types).....around 70 trays and pots and many single modules (180 or so)from an early autumn sowing, so far. I guess you could call it around 100. Zone 8

• Marie of Roumania
    11 years ago

15 more for zone 6, please.

thank you!

• Campanula UK Z8
    11 years ago

mmmm, felt I ought to get more in the spirit of this and go for accuracy so, 78 different plants varieties. Will keep sowing till late summer so when does your count end?.

• carolkcmo_5
    11 years ago

8 more for zone 5 for total of 219
    started herbs
    no sprouts yet

• barbe_wa
    11 years ago

9 more for Zone 8 which brings my total to 96. Thanks again

• KH 888
    11 years ago

I am up to 49 containers

• terrene
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Zone Wars Summary:

Zone 5 . . . . . . . . 1,445
    Zone 6 . . . . . . . . . 950
    Zone 7 . . . . . . . . 1,033
    Zone 8 . . . . . . . . . 402

Total Containers: 4,268

Good morning, winter sowers. Welcome to the count Campanula! Your contribution is most appreciated! Please see instructions above for more info, but we count by container (not necessarily plant varieties) and the count runs through 23:59 on May 1, 2013 (EST).

PS I'm fooling around with the font (Times New Roman). Any comments welcome!

Click the Container Count / Zone Wars Spreadsheet to see the container count in detail. ~ Happy Sowing Everybody ~

• drippy
    11 years ago

Hi, Terrene - please add another 57 containers for me, for a total of 275 - zone 7.

Thank you!

• lilykit64
    11 years ago

I planted 12 more jugs for a toal of 204 for me in Zone 5

• bookjunky4life
    11 years ago

25 containers for zone 5; 25 total so far

• lissatink
    11 years ago

18 for zone 5 Before Nemo now I'm dying to do more but would have to dig a trench

• Marie of Roumania
    11 years ago

20 more for zone 6, please.

thank you!

• barbe_wa
    11 years ago

I had 9 on Feb 12 which didn't get counted for some reason, and 10 today which brings my total to 106 for Zone 8. So far just one jug has sprouted, aurinia saxatile (Basket of Gold allysum). Since I've gone over 100 jugs, am I now a member of the mile-high club?
    Thanks again

• ricjo22
    11 years ago

Sowed 10 more for zone 5 making my total 19.

• emcd124
    11 years ago

This is my first post: I sowed 36 this week for Zone 5 for a total of 36.

• smarmyclothes
    11 years ago

Sowed 17 for zone 6!

• jvdubb
    11 years ago

10 more today for a total of 138

• barbe_wa
    11 years ago

8 more for Zone 8 brings my total to 114. Thanks.

• midmented
    11 years ago

4 for for zone 6. Total of 54.

• tempusflits
    11 years ago

Please add 14 more for zone 5. Thank you!

• pghgardengirl
    11 years ago

19 more for zone 6, total 81

• barbe_wa
    11 years ago

16 more for Zone 8. My total is now 130. Thanks again

• terrene
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Zone Wars Summary:

Zone 5 . . . . . . . . 1,524
    Zone 6 . . . . . . . . 1,020
    Zone 7 . . . . . . . . 1,090
    Zone 8 . . . . . . . . . 429

Total Containers: 4,501

Good morning, winter sowing guys! Welcome to this year's count, Bookjunky, Lissatink, and Smarmyclothes! Lissatink, yes Nemo was a doozy, but about half of our 24" has melted already, although my containers are still buried. Barbe, sorry I missed a few containers, but yes once you sow over a hundred you are a member of the winter-sowing "Mile High Club" (haha). Congrats!

Click the Container Count / Zone Wars Spreadsheet to see the container count in detail. ~ Happy US President's Day Everybody ~

"Too old to plant trees for my own gratification, I shall do it for my posterity"...Thomas Jefferson

"I must be farmer John ... and nothing more (I hope nothing less) for the rest of my life."...John Adams

âÂÂMy heart found its home long ago in the beauty, mystery, order and disorder of the flowering earth.âÂÂ...Lady Bird Johnson

This post was edited by terrene on Tue, Feb 19, 13 at 10:48

• terrene
    Original Author
    11 years ago

PS. Does anybody else see this thread with 1/2 white background in the first half and then 1/2 light green background??

• dremyr
    11 years ago

Just planted 5 containers in zone 4. :)

• tempusflits
    11 years ago

Five more for zone 5. Thank you.

• tempusflits
    11 years ago

Add in 5 more for zone 5, please. Thank you!

• luckynes13
    11 years ago

Sowed 80 today in zone 6, for a total of 129 so far.

• boysnoise210
    11 years ago

Getting a late start here in Central Texas, but as warm as it's been, I get the feeling we might have snow on Easter. Who knows?? Please put me down for 29 containers in Zone 8, for a total of 29 containers. Thanks!

• moonwolf_gw
    11 years ago

SIx more for me here in Zone 6. My total is now 29.

Brad AKA Moonwolf

• hepatica_z7
    11 years ago

2 more for zone 7

• barbe_wa
    11 years ago

Please add 8 for Zone 8. My total is now 122. Thanks

Sponsored
FineLine Kitchens, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars81 Reviews
Award Winning Kitchen & Bath Design Center Serving the DMV Area