Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bookjunky4life

Getting jugs from recycle bins illegal?

bookjunky4life
12 years ago

http://financiallyfit.yahoo.com/finance/article-113832-11745-3-bad-couponing-9-tips-to-avoid-it?ywaad=ad0035&nc

This article is about stealing coupons/newspapers from recycle bins but made me wonder if taking jugs from the recycle bin is considered illegal?

Comments (8)

• duane456
    12 years ago

Just put on your old gardening clothes. Bring no I.D. And tell them you're homeless and looking for food.

• morz8 - Washington Coast
    12 years ago

Gosh, I hadn't really given that any thought, but in trying to check - lots of muddy water to wade through.
    "In some areas there are hefty fines for people who pick up materials left in recycling bins on the curb. Technically, these items belong to the recycling company, so taking them is considered a theft and can actually hurt the company's recycling business"....Seems it can be looked at differently from state to state, county or city.

Then the issues of trespassing and private property. I hadn't thought of curbside as private property, the city owns it (that strip between sidewalk and street), I'm required to maintain it. I haven't heard anyone here describe slipping into neighbors carports or breezeways to peek into their recycle....Hmmmm.

I sow in nursery pots and deep cells so it doesn't apply to my seed sowing, but interesting :)

• bakemom_gw
    12 years ago

call the city.

• ldsluder
    12 years ago

I Called my local police department and asked, and they said that it was OK once they were by the curb for pick-up. I assume it is different for each area, so just give them a call and ask.

• beatrice_outdoors
    12 years ago

If they're going to start enforcing "Do not take from recycling bin" regulations then I hope they start with the people who come down my street every recycling day/evening before and go through to pull out returnables. (I don't really want them arrested-just making a point)However, if you live in San Francisco, watch out-this flyer is dated 2011, so it is current.

http://sfsafe.org/system/brochures/TheftofRecycleableMaterials.pdf

If you are caught/spoken to, tell them you are going to recycle the container when you're done, so it really just goes back into the same recycling stream, just takes a little while longer to get there. I do think they are looking for the people who are stealing large scale to make a profit themselves, though.

Alternatively, go onto freecycle and ask for jugs from your local group, or check with a restaurant (especially breakfast/lunch type) you may know to see if they can give you a batch. I'm sure people would be happy to give you milk jugs, as opposed to the returnable types. I asked for 2 liter bottles on freecycle and only received 12, because in my area you get the 5 cents back for each one. Not too many people willing to give up their 5 cents.

• bookjunky4life
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I hope its not illegal at the bins I'm visiting tomorrow. I'm hitting up three different ones because I need a couple hundred jugs. I'll probably be lucky to get 50 or so that I can reach and aren't smashed.

• ladyrose65
    12 years ago

This is funny!

• docmom_gw
    12 years ago

Bookjunky,
    If the milk jugs are smashed, a little hot water will return them to normal shape. I just fill one jug with water and then pour it from one to the next to let them return to like-new.

Martha

Sponsored