Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
silverkelt

Value seeds is gone!

silverkelt
14 years ago

It appears that value seeds is closed.

I guess this is wrapped up in the sale of Thompson and Morgan. What a disaster!

I probable ordered from them as much as anybody in the last 4-5 years. As thier shipping prices were rock bottom.

This is a SAD day for wintersowers =(.

Value Seeds was always a great way to add quaility seeds at bargain prices.

Silverkelt

Comments (34)

• brandymulvaine
    14 years ago

Say it isn't sow!!
    I just ordered from them too!!
    -B

• token28001
    14 years ago

AGHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Lilyfinch z9a Murrieta Ca
    14 years ago

Man, i didnt know i they were going to go away, i had planned on ordering a pack of purple coneflower from them, as i needed alot of seeds. Boo.

• daisydawnny
    14 years ago

Well that just stinks!!!!

• tammyinwv
    14 years ago

Oh POOP!. I liked their prices, and was planning on ordering again. TM is so much higher.It would have been nice to have some advance notice.
    Tammy

• radqueen36
    14 years ago

Oh no! I just placed an order with them on Dec. 30th. I have not received my order yet.

brandymulvaine, did you get the seeds you ordered from them?

• not_a_contessa
    14 years ago

Wow, we are sure going to miss them. I just checked the T&M site, they are super busy. I was very lucky to get many seeds from Valueseeds so I am pretty well set as far as my needs go. But of course, there is always something I think of later...

Mary

• Mary Leek
    14 years ago

Has anyone ever ordered from CheapSeeds website? They don't have a large variety but the prices for what they have are good, IF you need a large number of seeds. They also have free shipping.

Anyone know of other inexpensive seed sites?

Mary

Here is a link that might be useful: Cheap Seeds website

• mmqchdygg
    14 years ago

well, doesn't that just suk.

• ontheteam
    14 years ago

Darnunit aside from buying from them I count on the archived pages they have to figure out the seeds needs and plants locations.

• lynnencfan
    14 years ago

bummer - they always got quite a large order from me every year - oh well I suppose there is not much we can do about it. It was a nice site while it lasted - got a lot of good stuff from them ......

Lynne

• paulan70
    14 years ago

I just typed in the address and the site came up for me with 8 pages of seeds listed.

Paula

• trudi_d
    14 years ago

CheapSeeds is an awesome site! Jeff is a great businessman, a lot of Winter Sowers use his site. If you want to plant in drifts, then Jeff is the person to get your seeds from because he's got good prices on fat packs.

Trudi

• kimka
    14 years ago

I don't like Cheap Seeds because they don't give latin names. I know too many variations on common names and I want to be sure I get the right variety. Like their black eyed susans. Are they selling Rudbeckia hirta or R. fulgida? One is perennial in my zone and one is an annual.

• token28001
    14 years ago

I bought from cheapseeds this year. Several of the swappers got Siberian wallflowers from there. A few might have gotten some creeping thyme. I also ordered a nice sized pack of cosmos sensations from there, just to make sure I have enough pink to go with my 1/4lb of collected orange cosmos seed.

• paulan70
    14 years ago

Please don't pay attention to my previous post. I was wrong. The site did load up but I didn't read the message at the top. Sorry about that. I will also miss them as well.

Paula

• bookjunky4life
    14 years ago

If you emailed Jeff, could he tell you the latin name?

• brandymulvaine
    14 years ago

Radqueen, I haven't gotten my seeds yet and they've taken it out of my debit card-Hmmm I'll be watching the mail very closely.
    -B

• token28001
    14 years ago

Kimka, that's troubling. The image he's using shows at least one double bloom. I don't know of a double blooming rudbeckia perennial. So I think those in the image are R. hirta. But the description makes me think he's selling R. fulgida. Frustrating, ain't it?

When I ordered the creeping thyme, I just took my chances. I'm hoping it's what I think it is. The siberian wallflowers should be Cheiranthus allionii, because that's the wildflower variety. It's what I'm hoping, anyway.

• kqcrna
    14 years ago

I'd just email him and ask what kind they are. I bought some from him a few years ago; they were hirtas. I agree with Trudi that it's a good, reliable place to buy large quantities of seeds.

Karen

• karendee
    14 years ago

I bought creeping thyme from Cheap seeds. I got tons of seeds! It was great. I have not even winter sowed them all yet!

I am hoping to get something good from the creeping thyme. I was not too concerned with what version of creeping thyme because I could not beat the price!

Karen

• mnwsgal
    14 years ago

I got an NOID creeping thyme from a trade a few years ago and sowed it. This variety self seeds and spreads. I have divided it and moved it to other places in the garden and given it away, etc. Because I love it I don't consider it invasive but do consider it very agressive.

I have a perennial rudbeckia that has a double bloom, ws 2007, photo 2009.
    {{gwi:345338}}

• trudi_d
    14 years ago

Rudbekia hirta is Black Eyed Susan, Rudbekia fulgida is Orange Coneflower--the foliage is a bit darker and has almost no hair. Jeff has Black Eyed Susan, R. hirta.

• pitimpinai
    14 years ago

à¹à¸µà¹Huh??? I just ordered seeds from them 3 days ago and received confirmation too. Why disappeared so fast? There seemed to be a lot of seeds still.

These are what I ordered:
    Subtotal of Items: 22.77
    Discount: 0.00
    Tax: 0.00
    Shipping: 1.99
    TOTAL: 24.76

Items in Cart:
    1 of [code: 45] Swiss Chard Rainbow @ 0.99
    5 of [code: 2880] Baby Blue Eyes Pennie Black @ 0.99
    1 of [code: 3065] Poppy Ladybird @ 0.99
    1 of [code: 4228] Eschscholzia californica seeds: Summer Sorbet @ 0.99
    3 of [code: 7094] Cigar Plant Matchless @ 0.99
    3 of [code: 7239] Larkspur Gentian Blue @ 0.99
    1 of [code: 746] Spinach : Scenic @ 0.99
    2 of [code: 3090] Primula x Candelabra Hybrids @ 0.99
    1 of [code: 693] Lettuce : Cos : Crisp Mint @ 0.99
    5 of [code: 628] Spinach seeds : Tetona F1 Hybrid @ 0.99

Hope I'll get them.

• shinyalloy_5
    14 years ago

Oh No! This is terrible, that was the only place I was going to buy from this year and I still didn't get a chance to order my envy violas, haven't seen them anywhere else.

• quilt_mommy
    14 years ago

That's sad, I just discovered them and didn't even get to order. :(

• remy_gw
    14 years ago

Silverkelt,
    I had to look up what your wrote about the company being sold. The Gardens Alive /group bought them?! That's not good. Those companies are very low on customer satisfaction if you look on Garden Watch Dog.
    Remy

Here is a link that might be useful: News Article About T&M Buy Out

• shinyalloy_5
    14 years ago

Don't forget, if you've received seeds from valueseeds to copy the planting guides for the seeds you ordered (no info comes on the packets), I copied them right after reading this thread. No way to know how long they'll be available online for viewing but are still there for the moment.

MARY

• karendee
    14 years ago

mnwsgal I am glad to know the Creeping thyme spreads. I want to add it on the borders and between some stepping stones.

If it spreads enough maybe i can divide it and use for when we add the stone patio we are planning.

Sad Value seeds is gone, I had a list of items I wanted to order. I may just get the Ruds from cheap seeds. I have posted an seed exchange want but not many responded so I need to buy seeds.

Karen

• silverkelt
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I find them to be a middle of the road company, I wouldve rated thompson and morgan a slight tick up. Any companies serving thier # of customers will probable have a few issues. There are worse companies that gardens alive. Any company associated with direct gardening is MUCH MUCH worse than the companies that gardens alive own. I think direct gardening actions are near criminal!

I will expect their quality of thier catalog will be downgraded. Thompson and Morgan was first rate with thiers. Im sure gardens alive will look at that expense and cut it in the coming years.

Silverkelt

• brandymulvaine
    14 years ago

still haven't gotten my seeds-should I be worried???
    any advice??
    -B

• pitimpinai
    14 years ago

B, Valueseeds usually took time sending out seeds. Weeks....actually.

• brandymulvaine
    14 years ago

got my order them from today, so sad they're gone!
    -B

• katwright
    14 years ago

cheap seeds is awesome! Great Value!!!!! I love to order from them!

Sponsored