Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ajpa_gw

Hi! I'm back! Online seed sources?

ajpa
13 years ago

Hi everyone! I don't know if anyone remembers me, but I kind of fell off gardenweb for more than a year -- no energy to garden. Turns out to be some anemia issues that I'm still struggling with.

But even though I don't have much energy, I REALLy want to get at least some seeds ws'd. I'd like to order online though. (I went to Lowes yesterday and felt so tired just going there just to find out they have no seeds yet. Eh.)

So, hoping I can get some recs for seed orders -- the lower priced the better. Any suggestions? Looking for tomatoes and kitcheny plants and flowers mostly.

And lest I forget - A Happy, Healthy, Bountiful New Year to all!

aj in pa

Comments (14)

• Ann
    13 years ago

Try Diane's seeds or T's seeds - both have generous amounts and reasonable prices as well as quick shipping. You could also send a request to Trudi through Wintersown.org and get free seeds for postage or a minimum donation. Or you could respond to some SASBE offers on the Seed Exchange. I'd be happy to do a SASBE envie for you if you email me. Good luck and Happy gardening, Ann

• ajpa
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks Ann!
    I'm checking out T's seeds now. I also just found a local seed seller online who I will check out.
    I would feel guilty about mailing Trudi -- I got seeds from her before which were awesome but I totally s*ck at seed-saving and never mailed any back! Or abut getting too many seeds and not being able to ws them. Baby steps!
    aj

• girlgroupgirl
    13 years ago

Tomatoes and kitcheny plants: Try Pinetree Garden Seeds. Smaller packs of reasonably priced seeds

• ladyrose65
    13 years ago

I ordered from T's Flower and Things on the 12/31/20 and I received my package Today. Great prices and strange stuff which I like.

I'm a big fan of Swallowtail Seeds (a large selection).

• gardenweed_z6a
    13 years ago

I'll second Diane's Flower Seeds & Swallowtail for nice seed packs, good information, fair prices and fast shipping. I've ordered from both with excellent results.

• ajpa
    Original Author
    13 years ago

girlgroupgirl : thanks! checking our pinetree now -- they have asian veggies! How cool!

ladyrose65: I'll look at swallowtail, thanks! Btw, from your name, do you grow roses? Are you planning on planting any new roses this year?

• ajpa
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Is Diane's site dianeseeds.com?

• Iris ( ranegrow ) z7 Maryland
    13 years ago

I highly recommend the Sample Seed Shop run by Remy, her selection of seeds are great, prices and shipping are very reasonable and her customer service is excellent ;-) check her out !

www.sampleseeds.com

• gardenunusual
    13 years ago

I just discovered Select Seeds and Comstock Seeds.

• ladyrose65
    13 years ago

Hello Aipa, yes I grew Roses. I got started back in '91. I got to be friends with the late Frank Bernadella and June Bernadella, Bob Martin, Clarence Rhodes, the late Bill Sehl and Betty Jolly. I used to enter contests. I had about 120 to 127 bushes. But, I kept fertilizing them, so they all died. I let the ground rest for 9-years. I have about 9 bushes now, but I will be wiser about fertilizing. I love the Old Garden Roses and English the best.

• gardenunusual
    13 years ago

I love roses. Just got back into them this year.

• ajpa
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I just ordered (via mail) from this local to me gardener. The seeds seem scanty for the price but I am intrigued by the idea of trying out some heirloom Amish veggies. http://www.amishlandseeds.com/
    I am going to get some from pinetree next and that's it, I swear. No oversowing this year!

Roses: I didn't know roses could die from over-fertilizing! How sad! :(
    I have a handful, which I hope survive my neglect, oartly because I am a hesitant pruner. The ones I have are mostly from Roses Unlimited. I was just looking at their page again and thinking of getting 2 this year -- Gruss van Aachen & Apricot Drift. I'm hoping I will have enough stamina by May to dig 2 holes at least.

• livsauntieshel
    13 years ago

ajpa we must be close to each other. where did you find the amish seed site?
    another seed source I've used is seed needs. I order from them via amazon just because it's easier for me to not set up another online account/put my credit card number out there again and again BUT i think it's cheaper shipping if you order directly from their website. It also says you get free seeds with every order, which they don't do via amazon.

Here is a link that might be useful: seed needs

• girlgroupgirl
    13 years ago

Seed Needs isn't so big on the veggie seeds. Nothing came up under Tomatoes?!? Weird.
    If you want Asian veggies, Evergreen or Kitazawa are exclusively Asian seed. In Canada it's Agrohaitai.
    You want Italian veggies, try Seeds From Italy.com
    Baker Creek also have an excellent array of seeds from other countries.