Return to the Winter Sowing Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Cheap potting mix at Big Lots

Posted by ktinmd Md 6b/7 (My Page) on
Wed, Jan 20, 10 at 10:47

Our local Big Lots is selling 2-cu ft bags of Scotts Premium Potting Mix (or some similar name) for $8 each. It's not Miracle Gro but looks a lot like it. Some sticks but not too bad.

The bad news: The bags were obviously stored outside and got wet at some point, so they weigh about 100 lbs each. And the mix is anaerobic and stinky when opened, though it seems fine when dumped into a trash can and aerated a bit.

But hey, it's eight bucks.

kt

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Cheap potting mix at Big Lots

Scotts owns Miracle Gro. I suspect it's the same blend, maybe a step down.

Let it breathe a bit before sowing. Once you put it outside, it should be fine.

o

Hey that's good to know...didn't know that Scotts owned Miracle Grow. Might have to try that Big Lots potting soil, I see it all the time. ;)

o

Be careful quiltmom--our Big Lots has several types of potting stuff set out. Only the Scott's Premium product is potting mix; the rest are potting or garden soil.

I knew Scott's owned MG, I just figured they provide basically the same product under more than one label to maximize sales.

Why do some sellers keep bags of potting mix outside where they will be rained on? I about ruptured myself moving the stuff that I bought. I guess I'll just consider it premoistened.

kt

o

Thank you ktinmd for starting this thread. My local Big Lots has the Scotts product in two different bags, and one of them is $6. They weigh almost 80 pounds. I will really have a use for this mix. This is my rookie year to try wintersowing. I also had a very bad tomato blight last year. This year I plan to plant my tomatoes in buckets and use potting soil. Thanks!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Winter Sowing Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here