Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bookjunky4life

groundcover question

bookjunky4life
12 years ago

Yes, I realize there is a groundcover forum but I wanted to ask here first. Is there some kind of groundcover that I could plant along my road ditches which are fairly small but steep sides and I can't push mow them. (I hate weedeating them every week in the summer. Takes forever!) I want something that likes full sun, will be dense and choke out most weeds, and hopefully be tolerable of some standing water once in awhile. I would prefer something perennial but would replant every year if it fit the bill otherwise.

Comments (5)

• fixerupperinnh
    12 years ago

I have Ajuga in my yard, in an area near the back fence where grass just wont grow. And it does grow very thck. According to my readings, it will become dense and choke out weeds. I started with a single little plant, three years or four now, and I have a fairly good coverage going, although I take the offsets and move them to fill in areas that need more coverage. I've read it can invade lawns, so a barrier of some sort may be in order. I haven't had this problem myself. At least not yet.
    My bed was a shade bed, and then we had to take down three trees, which made it full sun. The Ajuga didn't seem to mind one bit. The soil in that area is far from ideal. I have slowly been adding compost. But they are just as happy as can be.
    The leaves on mine are green and purple, neat looking. Mine also have purple flowers. Weeding, deadheading and keeping fallen leaves out is recommended until the plant produces good coverage.

I hope you find what you are looking for.

• bookjunky4life
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I've had vinca minor growing before at various places I have lived. I might try this. Does anyone know where I can get seeds? I'd rather WS a bunch and transplant it, than ordering rooted pieces.

• ohiopeppers
    12 years ago

Bookjunkie4life,

You may want to google invasive plants in your state. I live in Central Ohio and many groundcovers that were commonly planted in the last twenty or thirty years and still may be available at local nurseries or online are now considered invasive or are on a watch list. It some states this includes vinca minor, ajuga, english ivy, crown vetch, winter creeper, and some daylilies.

I have vinca, ivy, winter creeper and crown vetch planted and I have only had a problem with the vetch. My husband has his own backhoe.Doesn't every man? He moves dirt around frequently and has inadvertently transplanted vetch everywhere.

Karen

• bookjunky4life
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I knew someone would bring up that its invasive. I am aware of that. However, its never behaved invasively at the three or four different locations I've had it in three or four different counties. Those tall orange "daylillies" that grow everywhere, now those can be invasive and almost impossible to get rid of.

I have also discovered you can't plant it or creeping jenny from seed. My boss has the varegated form of vinca minor but it doesn't seem to grow as dense as the nonvaregated. I think my mom or my dad may have some vinca minor left growing somewhere. Might get starts off of them. Also considering getting some creeping thyme from cheapseeds for non-water applications.

• northerner_on
    12 years ago

I second Ajuga. It grows in sun or shade and seems not to care about how good the soil is. My DH bought one or two plants some years ago and I planted it in a part-shade area and the beautiful flowers were nice at first. Then it took off and choked out my echinaceas. It also got into the lawn and I had to use Roundup to get it out. I figure this will be the last summer dealing with it because it speads by underground runners and seeds. Just be careful with it. The foliage and flowers are quite beautiful.

Sponsored
Buckeye Restoration & Remodeling Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars7 Reviews
Central Ohio's Premier Home Remodelers Since 1996