Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
msmashy

Introducing myself

msmashy
12 years ago

Hi everyone. Thought I'd introduce myself. I have been perennial gardening for years now and finally am trying my hand at winter sowing. I've been reading through this site and it really is a wealth of information! Very excited to try this out and see what happens.

Comments (19)

• doubleAmom
    12 years ago

Welcome and good luck!

• christie_sw_mo
    12 years ago

Welcome Msmashy! Hope you have great results. : )

• fixerupperinnh
    12 years ago

Welcome!

• jodie74
    12 years ago

Welcome! Be forewarned...... Ws'ing is highly addictive!!! :P

You'll also find lots of enablers on these forums. (chuckling)

• ladyrose65
    12 years ago

Welcome! You will enjoy it! It's good to see more newbies!

• indiana_matt
    12 years ago

Yes...welcome! This will be my second year winter sowing. I had great success last year and am excited to try it again. I haven't started any of my seeds yet. If you don't already know, some seeds do better if sown closer to spring. We have had unusually warm temperatures in Indiana, so I decided to wait until Feb to sow any of my seeds.

What seeds will you be winter sowing?

Matthew
    Indiana.Matt

• msmashy
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks for the warm welcome! I can see how addictive this is. I've already gone off the deep end with seed purchases and container collecting. I must say though it is nice to have something to do during the traditional "non-gardening" months.

Indiana Matt, here's what I've winter sown so far (only about half of the seeds for each in case it's too early. I was just too excited to wait! I'd welcome input from any of you seasoned winter sowers on anything I should have waited on. I am in NJ zone 6.

Wildflower mix
    Scabies mix
    Gaillardia burgundy
    Gaillardia goblin
    Strawflower
    Poppy
    Cosmos (4 varieties)
    Echinacea 'bravado'
    Echinops ritro
    Alyssum 'oriental nights'
    Viola mixed
    Ladybells
    Jacob's Ladder
    Zinnia mix

Looking forward to learning from all of you!
    Michelle

• msmashy
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Oops ... That was supposed to say "scabiosa" not scabies!

• trudi_d
    12 years ago

Welcome to the forum.

• jodie74
    12 years ago

I'm no expert but zinnias don't like frost and will die if they germinate and then get frost or snowed on...... I think the others are ok but others will hopefully chime in. :)

• bakemom_gw
    12 years ago

Keep an eye on the cosmos and zinnias. Depending on your weather, they can germinate easily in a sort warm spell and then die if you go back into a hard freeze. Take advantage of the newbie seed offer and try new things as well. Good luck.

• ellenrr
    12 years ago

Hi Ms Mashy,
    I'm also in NJ zone 6.
    I agree about zinnias, definitely wait until danger of frost is past. Then, they germinate like crazy!
    Poppies are good now.
    Very smart of you to hold back some seeds.
    I had very good success WS'ing gaillardia and strawflower. I just looked up and saw that I sowed gaillardia in March in strawflower in April. However, not bec. they would freeze, just cuz that's when I got to them.

So I'd be interested to know how they do for you, sowing them now.

good luck, and enjoy!

ellen

and feel free to ask lots of questions - we never get tired of answering them, and, after 8 or so years, I'm still asking them. :)

• msmashy
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks! I'll keep an eye on them. And I'll have to figure out how the newbie seed offer.

• msmashy
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Hi Ellen! I'm in New Brunswick. I have a huge perennial garden and have never thought to save seed from any of it. This year I will try and offer up any harvest I get. So i guess if my zinnias germinate they are goners and I'll just plant the rest of the seeds later.
    Thanks!
    Michelle

• ladyrose65
    12 years ago

Hold back on the zinnia's, strawflower and cosmos. They will germinate but will die off from the cold. That's what happened to me last year. It was my first year of WSing.

• ellenrr
    12 years ago

Michelle,
    I live right across the river from you!
    I am giving 2 WS'ing workshops - one on Feb 6, and one in March, both in New Brunswick. You'd be most welcome to come.

Plus there is a great gardening community in New Bruns, that I can turn you on to.

Send me an e-mail by going to my members page.

ellen

• msmashy
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks Ellen!I sent you an email!

• ellenrr
    12 years ago

Michelle,
    I never got yr e-mail.
    try again.

ellen

• msmashy
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Ellen -- ok I emailed you again through your page. In case you don't get it, here's my email: Michelle.Yanche@gmail.com

I!d love to get more info. about your workshops!
    Michelle

Sponsored
Fairfax Kitchen and Bath
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars53 Reviews
DC Area's Top Rated Kitchen & Bath Remodeling Experts