Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
prvrbs31gal_gw

Anybody else have stuff sprouting?

prvrbs31gal
12 years ago

My broccoli and my cabbage are just starting to sprout. I never imagined it would be this early, but it's been a warm year (we're in the 60s today). I am somewhat comforted by the fact that I know they can handle a cold-snap, but it's a little disconcerting to know that here, those seedlings aren't usually transplanted outside for another 6 weeks.

Comments (11)

• highalttransplant
    12 years ago

I haven't actually started wintersowing yet this year. This will be my 6th year though, and since out last frost date is towards the end of May, I've got plenty of time still. I usually have to get all the holiday stuff put away, and the house back in order before I can focus on wintersowing.

I did start saving milk jugs this week, and I have my list of seeds I plan to sow printed out, so I am gearing up.

BTW, I love your GW name : )

Bonnie

• fixerupperinnh
    12 years ago

Until it got truly cold last week, my spring bulbs were peeking out in my yard. Poor confused babies. Now they're covered in snow. It's not the first time, so I know they'll be okay.
    I just set out the first of my containers today. I'd be worried if I saw sprouts already too, but I guess there is no arguing with Mother Nature.
    I hope they get through okay.

• bigbob7777
    12 years ago

My lisianthus are sprouting, unfortunately. I love them and hope they survive.

• melvalena
    12 years ago

I bet your sprouts will be just fine. They'll grow very slowly (or almost not at all) until it warms up a bit.

I just put lettuce, chard and spinach flats out yesterday. I put them in sun so they will sprout soon, but expect them to mature much slower and by the time they're big enough to plant out the worst of our cold will be behind us.

• prvrbs31gal
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I was going to wait and just direct-sow my lettuce, but now I don't remember what my reason was! I might have to get some more jugs going!

• melvalena
    12 years ago

I've never winter sown it, this is a first for me so we'll see how that goes. :)

• highalttransplant
    12 years ago

I wintersow lettuce every year and it does great! My only problem is that I'm a heavy handed sower, so I end up planting out huge HOS, since I don't have the patience to divide all the tiny seedlings up.

• jeanne
    12 years ago

I just started sowing last week so no sprouts there yet, the hellebores have sprouted in the garden (they should be okay) and there seems to be near 100% germination of the weeds seeds that found their way to the garden by the back gate. They say it's going to warm up again for the weekend, perhaps I'll get the lamium and bittercress out of there.

• trudi_d
    12 years ago

Broccoli and cabbage are both cold season veggies, they'll be fine, they can take dips below freezing and are unfazed.

• ladyrose65
    12 years ago

I checked nothing so far. That is good. Getting worried about Coreopsis and Rudbeckia's. I started moving my jugs to shadier spots.

• MLcom
    12 years ago

Have Spinach sprouts up , it is bitter cold today. frozen ground and water every where no hoses for a bit.

ML

Sponsored